Did Trump really disrespect dead soldiers?

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
It's not on camera and he claims he didn't do it. He said some disrespectful stuff about McCain in the past, but they also had a personal beef due to McCain dissing Trump publicly. I have to admit it seems like a rather strange thing to say out loud even for Trump, and it's a little suspicious that it surfaced right before the election. I'm not saying he definitely did or didn't say it, but my bullshit alarm is definitely whirring on this one.

It's not on camera and he claims he didn't do it. He said some disrespectful stuff about McCain in the past, but they also had a personal beef due to McCain dissing Trump publicly. I have to admit it seems like a rather strange thing to say out loud even for Trump, and it's a little suspicious that it surfaced right before the election. I'm not saying he definitely did or didn't say it, but my bullshit alarm is definitely whirring on this one.

It's not just McCain. (by the way, the McCain stuff WOULD be bad enough on it's own)

It's what he's said about various flag officers, even ones who have been on his own cabinet.
It's what he's said about his brother Fred who joined the Air National Guard.
It was his callousness when talking to the widow of Sgt. LaDavid Johnson ("He knew what he signed up for". Johnson's wife was in tears.)

The fact was, he DIDN'T go to the ceremony at Belleau Wood.

Trump's long history has been one of disrespecting people who intimidate him, who he feels threatened by. The guy is by any definition just an awful person.

He's a guy who reacts to 180,000 Covid deaths with "It is what it is!" He simply lacks the basic human empathy most decent people have.

• Banned

It's not just McCain. (by the way, the McCain stuff WOULD be bad enough on it's own)

It's what he's said about various flag officers, even ones who have been on his own cabinet.
It was his callousness when talking to the widow of Sgt. LaDavid Johnson ("He knew what he signed up for". Johnson's wife was in tears.)

Trump's long history has been one of disrespecting people who intimidate him, who he feels threatened by. The guy is by any definition just an awful person.

He's a guy who reacts to 180,000 Covid deaths with "It is what it is!" He simply lacks the basic human empathy most decent people have.

It's not enough that you just think it seems like something Trump would say. It's an allegation, and a suspicious one right before an election. If Trump really said that it would be a whole new level of disrespect. It seems strange. It's hard to imagine he'd say that out loud even if he does believe it.

Trump has no one to blame but himself. He has been disrespectful to veterans and active-duty military personnel in the past and combined with his history of compulsive serial lying, why should anyone believe him and his "suckers and losers" denial

I'd give it an 80% chance. His temperament over the years, his own words over the years convict him with me.

The evidence just keeps piling up about what this person is. To the point where there really isn't a lot of surprise over these quotes -- just more disgust.

You get what you pay for.

• Banned
Trump has no one to blame but himself. He has been disrespectful to veterans and active-duty military personnel in the past and combined with his history of compulsive serial lying, why should anyone believe him and his "suckers and losers" denial

It's very possible that it's bullshit regardless of Trump's history. There is room for doubt so that is what I'm doing.

• Banned
I'd give it an 80% chance. His temperament over the years, his own words over the years convict him with me.

The evidence just keeps piling up. To the point where there really isn't a lot of surprise over these quotes -- just more disgust.

That's a hugely harmful statement though, and he would have known that. Hating on dead soldiers is like the biggest nono there is. It's what you do if you want to lose. And this information surfaces right before the election? The timing and nature of this controversy just seems too convenient to me.

The evidence just keeps piling up. To the point where there really isn't a lot of surprise over these quotes -- just more disgust.

That's a hugely harmful statement though, and he would have known that. Hating on dead soldiers is like the biggest nono there is. It's what you do if you want to lose. And this information surfaces right before the election? The timing and nature of this controversy just seems too convenient to me.
Yeah, I understand that. My opinion of him, and standards for him, are so low at this point that it's just another one on the pile. In other words, even if the accusations are true, it doesn't make me think any less of him, because I don't think I can.

It's not enough that you just think it seems like something Trump would say. It's an allegation, and a suspicious one right before an election. If Trump really said that it would be a whole new level of disrespect. It seems strange. It's hard to imagine he'd say that out loud even if he does believe it.

No, it's really not. Have you not been paying attention the last four years... Trump has disrespected women, minorities, the disabled, members of congress of both parties, leaders of allied nations, random celebrities... The thing is, the man has very low self-esteem, the kind where he constantly needs to rip on others in order to feel better about himself. In THAT context, his ripping on better men who gave their lives for their country is not strange at all. It's consistent with his pathology. .

He spread a rumor that Ted Cruz's dad killed JFK and called his wife Ugly, and Cruz is still out there licking his balls.

By the way, it's also possible that we're both right. It may be that he says stuff like this, and there are those around him who believe they have to bring it up so that the country is no longer subjected to him. So in that way, it would be true and also political.

It is enough that it seems like something he would say. With all the insulting and crude things Trump constantly says, it's not very hard to imagine that is exactly what he said.

It is enough that it seems like something he would say. With all the insulting and crude things Trump constantly says, it's not very hard to imagine that is exactly what he said.

No, it's really not. Have you not been paying attention the last four years... Trump has disrespected women, minorities, the disabled, members of congress of both parties, leaders of allied nations, random celebrities... The thing is, the man has very low self-esteem, the kind where he constantly needs to rip on others in order to feel better about himself. In THAT context, his ripping on better men who gave their lives for their country is not strange at all. It's consistent with his pathology. .

He spread a rumor that Ted Cruz's dad killed JFK and called his wife Ugly, and Cruz is still out there licking his balls.

He has a history that makes it seem plausible. That's not enough for me, though. I smell bullshit. I'm not a Trump supporter either.

That way of thinking could lead you to insanity. "Well it seems like it could be true so I'm going to assume it is." If you were trying to get a conviction your evidence would not be sufficient.

I also want to add that maybe he DID say that. It would be surprising but not entirely shocking. It just seems questionable y'all. Surely not every criticism of Trump is entirely accurate, right?

By the way, it's also possible that we're both right. It may be that he says stuff like this, and there are those around him who believe they have to bring it up so that the country is no longer subjected to him. So in that way, it would be true and also political.

Who knows? I'm just reminding lefties that it's moments like this that you should keep an open mind. Don't automatically accept things as true just because they fit your world view. Question everything.

Trump’s statements have been confirmed by multiple news outlets. Of course Trump made those reprehensible remarks. He has made similar comments before and we’re right in line with his beliefs.

Who knows? I'm just reminding lefties that it's moments like this that you should keep an open mind. Don't automatically accept things as true just because they fit your world view. Question everything.
Well, I think we can assume that both ends of the spectrum are going to take any juicy tidbit and run with it for as long as they can. That's just a symptom of where we are now.

I wouldn't agree with some ad campaign based around the evidence, at least not as it stands now, but it sure could happen.

Trump’s statements have been confirmed by multiple news outlets. Of course Trump made those reprehensible remarks. He has made similar comments before and we’re right in line with his beliefs.

Those news outlets confirmed that there was a report from somebody previously in his administration. The outlets did not prove that the statements are true.

He has a history that makes it seem plausible. That's not enough for me, though. I smell bullshit. I'm not a Trump supporter either.

This kid reminds me of Trump.

Forum List

Back