Diagnostic charge

WEATHER53

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2017
What?
I take the car in
They do $1260 of work
I take the car home and get a call that I need to come back and pay a $235 diagnostic charge,
My response was they researched the deficiencies and corrected them and any charges would be when I picked the car up AND since they did perform the indicated work they found necessary they already have been paid. I agreed that had no work been done then a charge for their diagnostic efforts would be valid and paid by me. So many people left their jobs and their new wiz kid service manager I think is thirty. Heā€™s called me twice about the ā€œoverdue chargesā€ including they wonā€™t render future service until its paid which is fine with me

I honestly donā€™t know what this charge is about so can someone let me know?
Thanks

My experience has always been that the diagnostic charge is part of the overall cost and is included with the total. It is only broken out as a separate charge if, after the diagnosis of the problem, the customer decides not to proceed with the repair.

My experience has always been that the diagnostic charge is part of the overall cost and is included with the total. It is only broken out as a separate charge if, after the diagnosis of the problem, the customer decides not to proceed with the repair.
Usually its related to hitching your car to their computer. 235 seems way high though

What?
I take the car in
They do $1260 of work
I take the car home and get a call that I need to come back and pay a $235 diagnostic charge,
My response was they researched the deficiencies and corrected them and any charges would be when I picked the car up AND since they did perform the indicated work they found necessary they already have been paid. I agreed that had no work been done then a charge for their diagnostic efforts would be valid and paid by me. So many people left their jobs and their new wiz kid service manager I think is thirty. Heā€™s called me twice about the ā€œoverdue chargesā€ including they wonā€™t render future service until its paid which is fine with me

Thanks
It's always been included in the price of the repair. I wouldn't pay them.

What?
I take the car in
They do $1260 of work

Thanks
I used to charge 35 dollars if that was all I did to the car. 235 is way too much. But the only question I have is how you got out of there without paying it?

Besides, it not very often if ever a machine pin points what's wrong with the vehicle. For example, a scan tool telling you that you have a trouble code for the left bank O2 sensor does not mean the O2 sensor is bad. It probably is but it could also be something else like a burned wire on that circuit, etc. We had a 97 Dodge truck with all kinds of transmission codes and no matter what we did, it had no effect on the trans. We finally figured it out by just unplugging various sensors until we unplugged one of the O2 sensors and the trans started working. The O2 sensor power circuit was shorted to ground and the trans ground circuit was in the same circuit. Trans didn't like power going to it's solenoids at the wrong time. Nasty one there.

Last edited:
Thatā€™s what I would think also but am unfamiliar so thank you

You should find out what the diagnostic charge entails. If itā€™s the usual scan tool connected to your cars diagnostic port, thatā€™s a simple process that takes only a few minutes. I do it myself on my diesel motorhome quite often.
8F3EC09E-DE70-4CED-BA42-9DFF9699F666.jpeg

I used to charge 35 dollars if that all I did to the car. 235 is way too much. But the only question I have is how you got out of there without paying it?

Besides, it not very often if ever a machine pin points what's wrong with the vehicle. For example, a scan tool telling you that you have a trouble code for the left bank O2 sensor does not mean the O2 sensor is bad. It probably is but it could also be something else like a burned wire on that circuit, etc. We had a 97 Dodge truck with all kinds of transmission codes and no matter what we did, it had no effect on the trans. We finally figured it out by just unplugging various sensors until we unplugged one of the O2 sensors and the trans started working. The O2 sensor power circuit was shorted to ground and the trans ground circuit was in the same circuit. Trans didn't like power going to it's solenoids at the wrong time. Nasty one there.
They gave me the car back with the charge not on the paperwork. Iā€™m not holding them to account about a ā€œmistaken omissionā€ but rather that itā€™s not a valid charge to be absorbed by me.
I fully agree that had I not allowed them to do any with them I would pay it. The research that they need to do to see what they need to do to correctly provide service and get paid for such seems to Be on them and not me?

You should find out what the diagnostic charge entails. If itā€™s the usual scan tool connected to your cars diagnostic port, thatā€™s a simple process that takes only a few minutes. I do it myself on my diesel motorhome quite often.
View attachment 569043
Many times it takes much longer than that and requires the use of a scan tool that can read the data stream from the car and display it to you in real time. For example, a tranny not shifting into 3rd gear can be a solenoid. However, if you connect the scan tool and access the data and as you drive the car you see the computer commanding the shift to 3rd, but it's not actually shifting, it can take a lot longer to figure out. Basic scan tools only say, "Hey, look over there." Even accessing the data stream sometimes takes a lot longer to find the actual problem.

Many times it takes much longer than that and requires the use of a scan tool that can read the data stream from the car and display it to you in real time. For example, a tranny not shifting into 3rd gear can be a solenoid. However, if you connect the scan tool and access the data and as you drive the car you see the computer commanding the shift to 3rd, but it's not actually shifting, it can take a lot longer to figure out. Basic scan tools only say, "Hey, look over there." Even accessing the data stream sometimes takes a lot longer to find the actual problem.
Good information exchanges done civilly. Unfortunate the discussion on a discussion board had to be shunted to Nowhereville.

It's always been included in the price of the repair. I wouldn't pay them.
I have 30 years field experience in auto repair. How can I pay my guys? How can they buy the tools?
Some jobs require hours of diagnostics. If the shop isn't up front with the customer on diagnostic fees, they screwed up.

I have 30 years field experience in auto repair. How can I pay my guys? How can they buy the tools?
Some jobs require hours of diagnostics. If the shop isn't up front with the customer on diagnostic fees, they screwed up.
So it appears you own the shop.

They gave me the car back with the charge not on the paperwork. Iā€™m not holding them to account about a ā€œmistaken omissionā€ but rather that itā€™s not a valid charge to be absorbed by me.
I fully agree that had I not allowed them to do any with them I would pay it. The research that they need to do to see what they need to do to correctly provide service and get paid for such seems to Be on them and not me?

As it wasn't on the paperwork and you paid the bill in full, you owe them nothing.

Heā€™s called me twice about the ā€œoverdue chargesā€ including they wonā€™t render future service until its paid which is fine with me I honestly donā€™t know what this charge is about so can someone let me know?

Fuck him. Call him back and tell him you will be glad to settle up on the balance remaining not included in your bill at the time they called you up to pay and pick up your car, just that there will be a $275 transportation service charge by you for having to make a 2nd trip back down there to straighten out billing errors made by their staff.

I don't know what you had done but some idiot there forgot to include the labor (time spent) diagnosing your problem. Then they called you up and quoted you a final fee then accepted payment paid in full and gave you the car! You are done! Proof of the matter is you won't find the garage taking you to court for the unpaid balance--- because they have no case.

Now they are trying to get you to pay it and blaming you for their employee's mistake? The bill is paid, they accepted payment in full, if they want more, tell them to take it out of the person's paycheck who wrote your bill up wrong. Hopefully it was the owner. Then tell the owner that in 5 minutes, you can go online and tell the whole city what a ripoff they are.

Fuck him. Call him back and tell him you will be glad to settle up on the balance remaining not included in your bill at the time they called you up to pay and pick up your car, just that there will be a $275 transportation service charge by you for having to make a 2nd trip back down there to straighten out billing errors made by their staff.

I don't know what you had done but some idiot there forgot to include the labor (time spent) diagnosing your problem. Then they called you up and quoted you a final fee then accepted payment paid in full and gave you the car! You are done! Proof of the matter is you won't find the garage taking you to court for the unpaid balance--- because they have no case.

Now they are trying to get you to pay it and blaming you for their employee's mistake? The bill is paid, they accepted payment in full, if they want more, tell them to take it out of the person's paycheck who wrote your bill up wrong. Hopefully it was the owner. Then tell the owner that in 5 minutes, you can go online and tell the whole city what a ripoff they are.
I don't know what State the repair(s) were done, but some States allow 10% over quoted price.

If it were a simple mistake I would pay it
I do not believe in the imposition of this fee when their research resulted in them being paid for fixing was discovered in their diagnostic

I don't know what State the repair(s) were done, but some States allow 10% over quoted price.

Once a total charge was given the customer over the phone and in writing on the bill and payment accepted and the car returned to the owner, the garage hasn't a leg to stand on. The garage's actions signified that payment was made in full. They have a lot of nerve threatening and blaming the OP for paying them what they told him he owed.

What?
I take the car in
They do $1260 of work

Thanks
They forgot!

Once a total charge was given the customer over the phone and in writing on the bill and payment accepted and the car returned to the owner, the garage hasn't a leg to stand on. The garage's actions signified that payment was made in full. They have a lot of nerve threatening and blaming the OP for paying them what they told him he owed.
I agree. Don't go back. If it were me I would enjoy, really enjoy, writing the reviews on Yelp, Google, all the others.

But you probably don't have a mean streak like I do. ;)

Forum List

Back