DeVos to make getting away with campus rape easy again

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
Betsy DeVos Plans to Weaken Obama’s Campus Sexual Assault Rules

The Department of Education announced on Thursday that it will weaken a set of requirements for how colleges and universities are expected to handle cases of sexual assault on college campuses. In a speech at George Mason University in Virginia, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos criticized a set of rules that the department hadissued in 2011 that, under Title IX, forced colleges to conduct their own investigations and stated police reports cannot be used to determine whether a violation occurred, because a criminal case requires stronger evidence.

The Department of Education will take comments from the public before issuing new guidelines, though DeVos’ remarks suggest that the new standard will likely to be a significant departure from the Obama-era rules. DeVos called the current process for handling sexual misconduct “shameful,” a “failed system,” and “wholly unAmerican.”

“The truth is that the system established by the prior administration has failed too many students,” DeVos said. “Survivors, victims of a lack of due process, and campus administrators have all told me that the current approach does a disservice to everyone involved.” Critics of the Obama-era rule have argued that it does not offer adequate due process for the students accused of sexual misconduct. Under the directive, institutions of higher education use the “preponderance of evidence” standard, which requires a 51 percent certainty in determining guilt. Sexual violence is often difficult to prove to a higher certainty, and false accusations are extremely rare. But in July, DeVos’ deputy in charge of civil rights suggested that 90 percent of sexual assault allegations at colleges are false.

I predict that testimony from experts in sexual assault investigation and prosecution, you know, police and prosecutors… will be ignored. Don't bother bringing stats or data…that's elitist.

She "believes" in her gut that 90% of allegations are false… so it must be. Because we trust the gut over any thorough and thoughtful analysis and research any day of the week and twice on Sundays… That's the alternative fact America we live in. It doesn't matter what any so-called "expert" tells her… I mean, she's never been raped, so it probably never happens…

It is ANY wonder as to why DeVos needs secret service protection???

The Department of Education announced on Thursday that it will weaken a set of requirements for how colleges and universities are expected to handle cases of sexual assault on college campuses. In a speech at George Mason University in Virginia, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos criticized a set of rules that the department hadissued in 2011 that, under Title IX, forced colleges to conduct their own investigations and stated police reports cannot be used to determine whether a violation occurred, because a criminal case requires stronger evidence.

The Department of Education will take comments from the public before issuing new guidelines, though DeVos’ remarks suggest that the new standard will likely to be a significant departure from the Obama-era rules. DeVos called the current process for handling sexual misconduct “shameful,” a “failed system,” and “wholly unAmerican.”

“The truth is that the system established by the prior administration has failed too many students,” DeVos said. “Survivors, victims of a lack of due process, and campus administrators have all told me that the current approach does a disservice to everyone involved.” Critics of the Obama-era rule have argued that it does not offer adequate due process for the students accused of sexual misconduct. Under the directive, institutions of higher education use the “preponderance of evidence” standard, which requires a 51 percent certainty in determining guilt. Sexual violence is often difficult to prove to a higher certainty, and false accusations are extremely rare. But in July, DeVos’ deputy in charge of civil rights suggested that 90 percent of sexual assault allegations at colleges are false.

I predict that testimony from experts in sexual assault investigation and prosecution, you know, police and prosecutors… will be ignored. Don't bother bringing stats or data…that's elitist.

She "believes" in her gut that 90% of allegations are false… so it must be. Because we trust the gut over any thorough and thoughtful analysis and research any day of the week and twice on Sundays… That's the alternative fact America we live in. It doesn't matter what any so-called "expert" tells her… I mean, she's never been raped, so it probably never happens…

More liberal lies.

The real headline:

Devos restores the presumption of innocence, and rolls back the Obama Administration's attempt to shift the burden of proof in rape cases to the accused.

That's all true.
If the gal points the finger...he is guilty until he proves his innocence.

Now, I would always err on the side of caution in any case like that...BUT,
for the sake of Justice, I believe not only should the gal's identity remain
confidential but the accused as well.

Doing it like they are...is nothing more than setting up an ambush
of the guy.

I know a woman who was raped by a fellow high school student. During the investigation it turned out that the criminal had raped another girl two years earlier at the school and the school knew about it. The criminal told the earlier victim, "I'm a rich white kid. I'll hurt you if you report it. " So the earlier victim reported it only to the school which did not call police. So the later victim suffered due to this egregious lack of ethics by the criminal and the school.

Anything that empowers criminal society like this is wrong morally.

There have just been way too many false accusations of rape. The man is expelled upon accusation and prohibited from a defense.

The way to stop this is to have serious prosecution of the girls who lie.

Brock Turner approves!

turnersmiling

I know a woman who was raped by a fellow high school student. During the investigation it turned out that the criminal had raped another girl two years earlier at the school and the school knew about it. The criminal told the earlier victim, "I'm a rich white kid. I'll hurt you if you report it. " So the earlier victim reported it only to the school which did not call police. So the later victim suffered due to this egregious lack of ethics by the criminal and the school.

Anything that empowers criminal society like this is wrong morally.
That's such a good story there Dim. So believable.

The police should be handling these matters, plain and simple, not the university staff. The rules of the previous administration have resulted in a lot of young men being deemed guilty by these kangaroo campus courts merely by accusation alone without evidence, and in some cases I've read, even when they've had evidence to the contrary. There have been several lawsuits filed against universities over the past couple of years by those who claim to be wrongly accused and having their Due Process rights denied. All of this has taken place due to pressure put on them by the Obama administration and De Vos is right to stop it.

Criminal matters should be handled by the police. I don't know why this is so difficult.

Yeah, that totally happened..........

Yeah, that totally happened..........
Doesn't fit your narrative so you dismiss it. Good plan. It happened. What's next? Attack the victim for what she wore to school?

Hmm..almost makes me want to go back to school. Easy Rape, Everybody!

I bet the Donald will want to go back. Oh hell he can open up another Trump U imagine the possibilities!

I don't understand why campus authorities are involved at all. Why aren't sexual assaults on campus handled by the police the same way as they are everywhere else?

Are on campus murders handles by campus security and the college administration as well?

I don't understand why campus authorities are involved at all. Why aren't sexual assaults on campus handled by the police the same way as they are everywhere else?

Are on campus murders handles by campus security and the college administration as well?

Why? Because Obama threatened to cut off their fed funds if they didn't handle it this way, that is why! His policy removed presumption of innocence. This is America. not some 3rd world country.

You are going to have some LEFTY woman come into this thread and proclaim, "I would NEVER lie about rape."

That is fine if you want to believe HER, but because you believe HER, that doesn't mean it reflects all women. Ever hear of "mattress girl" and what she tried to pull off? How about what they tried on the Duke lacrosse team? What about Twana Brawley AND Al SHARPTON pulling their crap.

How many men want their presumption of innocence rights removed after seeing these cases? How many women are insensitive enough to want to REMOVE the presumption of innocence from all men.....................and if you do, please tell us your name so as we can advertise to stay the hell away from you. You are NOT about equality, you are about believing because you have a V-jay-jay, you are somehow special to not one man, but all men who should lay at your feet. For those of you who think you are somehow a princess because your daddy told you so, in the real world, you have a big surprise coming!

Forum List

Back