Democrats: Include SALT deduction in Infrastructure Bill

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
House Democrats from California sent a letter to President Biden this week urging him to undo the cap on the state and local tax (SALT) deduction in infrastructure legislation.

"As you turn your attention to the American Jobs Plan, we urge you to address the $10,000 cap President Trump placed on the State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction, which has hurt our constituents and people across the country since long before the COVID-19 pandemic began," the California Democrats wrote in a letter dated Thursday. "The removal of this arbitrary cap is necessary and prudent as we seek remedies to help the American people during this time of recovery."

The letter is the latest push from lawmakers in high-tax states to lift the $10,000 SALT deduction limit in legislation based on Biden's American Jobs Plan. Most House Democrats from New York signed onto a similar letter earlier this week.
"Your American Jobs Plan, and the associated Made in America Tax Plan, are a key part of ensuring our country emerges stronger from this pandemic," the California lawmakers wrote. "Alongside policies that create good jobs and ensure corporations pay their share, we must restore fairness to the tax code for the middle class by restoring the SALT deduction."

"Restoring fairness to the tax code for the middle class"
is out and out BULLSHIT! That deduction doesn't have a damn thing to do with the middle class, it's entirely aimed at rich people, and it doesn't have jack-shit to do with infrastructure. And repealing the deduction means LESS federal revenue.

House Democrats from California sent a letter to President Biden this week urging him to undo the cap on the state and local tax (SALT) deduction in infrastructure legislation.

"As you turn your attention to the American Jobs Plan, we urge you to address the $10,000 cap President Trump placed on the State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction, which has hurt our constituents and people across the country since long before the COVID-19 pandemic began," the California Democrats wrote in a letter dated Thursday. "The removal of this arbitrary cap is necessary and prudent as we seek remedies to help the American people during this time of recovery."

The letter is the latest push from lawmakers in high-tax states to lift the $10,000 SALT deduction limit in legislation based on Biden's American Jobs Plan. Most House Democrats from New York signed onto a similar letter earlier this week.
"Your American Jobs Plan, and the associated Made in America Tax Plan, are a key part of ensuring our country emerges stronger from this pandemic," the California lawmakers wrote. "Alongside policies that create good jobs and ensure corporations pay their share, we must restore fairness to the tax code for the middle class by restoring the SALT deduction."

"Restoring fairness to the tax code for the middle class"
is out and out BULLSHIT! That deduction doesn't have a damn thing to do with the middle class, it's entirely aimed at rich people, and it doesn't have jack-shit to do with infrastructure. And repealing the deduction means LESS federal revenue.
This just proves that the Democrats are really for the rich and they can tell the poor to just fuck off and die. Do poor get a SALT deduction, not as much as a Rich progressive elite does in the blue states....

The dishonest, greedy and corrupt Democrat Party wants the middle class in the red states to subsidize the wealthy Progressives in the Blue states.
If the greedy corrupt Democrats really want to spend money to help the middle class then they would want money the $10,000 cap.
Once again the Progressives are lying.

I have been screaming this from the mountain tops on here...and leftists are morons about it.

THIS IS A MASSIVE TAX CUT FOR RICH PEOPLE IN BLUE STATES.

You idiots buy the corporate media propaganda.

Biden is passing a massive tax break for his rich friends....you fucking fools.

I have never seen a group that loves being lied to more than leftists.

I have no clue whether this is good or bad. Or if it's any sort of a big deal at all. With Trump setting the standard deduction so high, I can't imagine who is itemizing these days that this would benefit? Small business owners perhaps? The super-rich?

I have no clue whether this is good or bad. Or any sort of a big deal. With Trump setting the standard deduction so high, I can't imagine who is itemizing these days that this would benefit? Small business owners perhaps? The super-rich?

BINGO! This is a major tax cut for the well off and rich period. The Dems hypocrisy and double speak comes full circle. Dems ran their big stupid mouths about how the rich should pay more and when Trump increased their taxes via the SALT cap Dems squealed like stuck pigs. Proving tax the rich was never anything but red meat for their base and they never had any intention of raising taxes. Now they want to lower them, shocker.

Upon further review, my belief that uniformity in the tax code is most beneficial and so I am for the change. I'd also wouldn't object to the alternative of eliminating the SALT deduction altogether. Make it one way or the other.

Likewise with the deduction of medical expenses. It should be either they're deductable or not. Knock off the exclusion of any expense withing 7.5% of your AGI crap.

Upon further review, my belief that uniformity in the tax code is most beneficial and so I am for the change. I'd also wouldn't object to the alternative of eliminating the SALT deduction altogether. Make it one way or the other.

Likewise with the deduction of medical expenses. It should be either they're deductable or not. Knock off the exclusion of any expense withing 7.5% of your AGI crap.

I'm forced to pay umpteen times the share average Americans pay, how is that fair? That those lazy fat ass losers can continue to vote to take my money I earned to fund their mooching spending habits irks me. Divide government spending equally, everyone pays the same share and that will obliterate government spending in a heartbeat.

I dont think lefties are smart enough to even know what salt deductions are.

This lefty didn't. SALT has stood for many things over the years. Back when I was in high school we had an assembly in which a U.S. delegate to the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks came and spoke to us, must have been sometime around 1969-1971. That's SALT as I know it.

As for knowledge, I recall the skill it took to file taxes by hand and especially going through the process of dealing with income averaging as a matter of tax avoidance later in the 1970s.

I'm forced to pay umpteen times the share average Americans pay, how is that fair? That those lazy fat ass losers can continue to vote to take my money I earned to fund their mooching spending habits irks me. Divide government spending equally, everyone pays the same share and that will obliterate government spending in a heartbeat.

My 2020 federal tax liablity wasn't peanuts either. For me it isn't the case about money though. I like uniformity in our laws and government practices. Uniformity as it presents itself in math. As I posted on the 1st:

Can any lefty on here explain to us specifically how the reinstatement of SALT deductions is NOT a huge tax break for the rich?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back