Deep La Nina, very warm temperatures

View attachment 421372

Note that NINO 3.4 shows well below -1 for now. Yet the anomaly for the northern hemisphere is +1.2 C, and for the arctic, 5.3 C. We have been in La Nina condition since September.

Ha ha, you are using the ANOMALY charts, I used the 3 month running mean, that is the official method of determining what phase it is in.:

DESCRIPTION: Warm (red) and cold (blue) periods based on a threshold of +/- 0.5oC for the Oceanic Niño Index (ONI) [3 month running mean of ERSST.v5 SST anomalies in the Niño 3.4 region (5oN-5oS, 120o-170oW)], based on centered 30-year base periods updated every 5 years.

red bolding mine

It became a La-Nina in NOVEMBER, according to the NOAA.

ASO

It was still Neutral at the end of October.

I previously stated 1-3 months before the change in the Pacific will clearly show up, Thus November is month 1....

View attachment 421372

Note that NINO 3.4 shows well below -1 for now. Yet the anomaly for the northern hemisphere is +1.2 C, and for the arctic, 5.3 C. We have been in La Nina condition since September.

Ha ha, you are using the ANOMALY charts, I used the 3 month running mean, that is the official method of determining what phase it is in.:

DESCRIPTION: Warm (red) and cold (blue) periods based on a threshold of +/- 0.5oC for the Oceanic Niño Index (ONI) [3 month running mean of ERSST.v5 SST anomalies in the Niño 3.4 region (5oN-5oS, 120o-170oW)], based on centered 30-year base periods updated every 5 years.

red bolding mine

ASO

I previously stated 1-3 months before the change in the Pacific will clearly show up, Thus November is month 1....
You can not have an intelligent discussion with old crock. He doesn't have a clue what he dealing with let alone what the implications of the phase changes are for our atmosphere. The current polar lows will shift into the US region of our hemisphere later this month and its going to get downright cold. The central plains and Midwest are about to get very cold.

View attachment 421372

red bolding mine

ASO

Facts vs. Computer generated fiction....Got to love it.. Old Crock loves himself some fiction.

Meanwhile, as the denier frauds all cry and run and dodge and weasel, the data still stands. After a year dominated by negatives ENSO and then full blown La Nina, the global average temperature is running neck-and-neck with the warmest year ever, a year dominated by El Nino.

Why? A strong warming trend.

Run, deniers, run! Evasion shields to maximum! Prevent reality from intruding!

Meanwhile, as the denier frauds all cry and run and dodge and weasel, the data still stands. After a year dominated by negatives ENSO and then full blown La Nina, the global average temperature is running neck-and-neck with the warmest year ever, a year dominated by El Nino.

A single degree centigrade in 50 years ... my grandchildren will not notice ...

Because the climate of an icehouse world fluctuates more than the climate of a greenhouse world. Now you know. Yoar welcome..

1607268823441.png

"You are a stupid and crazy person. Seek therapy." - Kavik Kang, on the programmed Progressive response

Can you explain how atmospheric CO2 warmed the deep oceans?

Energy conducts down the water column ... the thermal conductivity is usually given as 0.8 J/s/m/K ... about the same for glass or concrete ... typical metals have rates 200 to 500 times as fast ...

Keep in mind that a good chunk of solar energy is simply re-radiated back into space, and another good chunk is used to evaporate water ... so very little is left at the surface to increase temperatures there ... just a tiny bit will conduct downward ...

A small increase in atmospheric CO2 gives us a small increase in atmospheric temperatures ... which in turn adds a little to the force pushing the energy down into the oceans ... and my use of the word "column" might be misleading ... this wouldn't occur in a single column, we have to maintain lateral thermal equilibrium ... the entire ocean would have to be experiencing this all at once ...

Slow ... very very slow ... call it millions of years ... and that's ignoring biology ...

A small increase in atmospheric CO2 gives us a small increase in atmospheric temperatures ... which in turn adds a little to the force pushing the energy down into the oceans ...
The pressures of just one thermocline defeats this by a factor of ten and there are five that are common. 1/1000 of a degree over centuries is not rapid change.

Forum List

Back