Decade the music died?

In my opinion there is always going to be good/great music.....but not as often as in past decades....those were the best decades in music....

A creative soul will always be ready to pop up, lol , now and then. :biggrin:
I second this. My favorites are all over the timeline.

God bless you and those who are still here always!!!

Holly

The new music market is actually shrinking. All the growth in the market is coming from old songs.

Just consider these facts: the 200 most popular tracks now account for less than 5% of total streams. It was twice that rate just three years ago. And the mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted to older music—the current list of most downloaded tracks on iTunes is filled with the names of bands from the last century, such as Creedence Clearwater and The Police.
Sound about right? I know I cant name too many new songs. The ones I can are all country.
wow. . . lol.

I rarely have any interest in any dreck the Atlantic puts out, but this article must have been so successful on substack, it was picked up by the Atlantic. It was the first good thing their site has had in years. . .

Picked up on Jan. 23.

original.png

". . A decade ago, 40 million people watched the Grammy Awards. That’s a meaningful audience, but now the devoted fans of this event are starting to resemble a tiny subculture. More people pay attention to streams of video games on Twitch (which now gets 30 million daily visitors) or the latest reality-TV show. In fact, musicians would probably do better getting placement in Fortnite than signing a record deal in 2022. At least they would have access to a growing demographic.. . "

original.png

Consider these other trends:

• The leading area of investment in the music business is old songs. Investment firms are getting into bidding wars to buy publishing catalogs from aging rock and pop stars.
  • The song catalogs in most demand are by musicians who are in their 70s or 80s (Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen) or already dead (David Bowie, James Brown).
  • Even major record labels are participating in the rush to old music: Universal Music, Sony Music, Warner Music, and others are buying up publishing catalogs and investing huge sums in old tunes. In a previous time, that money would have been used to launch new artists.
  • The best-selling physical format in music is the vinyl LP, which is more than 70 years old. I’ve seen no signs that the record labels are investing in a newer, better alternative—because, here too, old is viewed as superior to new.
  • In fact, record labels—once a source of innovation in consumer products—don’t spend any money on research and development to revitalize their business, although every other industry looks to innovation for growth and consumer excitement.
  • Record stores are caught up in the same time warp. In an earlier era, they aggressively marketed new music, but now they make more money from vinyl reissues and used LPs.
  • Radio stations are contributing to the stagnation, putting fewer new songs into their rotation, or—judging by the offerings on my satellite-radio lineup—completely ignoring new music in favor of old hits.
  • When a new song overcomes these obstacles and actually becomes a hit, the risk of copyright lawsuits is greater than ever before. The risks have increased enormously since the “Blurred Lines” jury decision of 2015, and the result is that additional cash gets transferred from today’s musicians to old (or deceased) artists.
  • Adding to the nightmare, dead musicians are now coming back to life in virtual form—via holograms and “deepfake” music—making it all the harder for young, living artists to compete in the marketplace.
As record labels lose interest in new music, emerging performers desperately search for other ways to get exposure. They hope to place their self-produced tracks on a curated streaming playlist, or license their songs for use in advertising or the closing credits of a TV show. Those options might generate some royalty income, but they do little to build name recognition. You might hear a cool song on a TV commercial, but do you even know the name of the artist? You love your workout playlist at the health club, but how many song titles and band names do you remember? You stream a Spotify new-music playlist in the background while you work, but did you bother to learn who’s singing the songs?

Decades ago, the composer Erik Satie warned of the arrival of “furniture music,” a kind of song that would blend seamlessly into the background of our lives. His vision seems closer to reality than ever.

Some people—especially Baby Boomers—tell me that this decline in the popularity of new music is simply the result of lousy new songs. Music used to be better, or so they say. The old songs had better melodies, more interesting harmonies, and demonstrated genuine musicianship, not just software loops, Auto-Tuned vocals, and regurgitated samples.

There will never be another Sondheim, they tell me. Or Joni Mitchell. Or Bob Dylan. Or Cole Porter. Or Brian Wilson. I almost expect these doomsayers to break out in a stirring rendition of “Old Time Rock and Roll,” much like Tom Cruise in his underpants.

Just take those old records off the shelf

I’ll sit and listen to ’em by myself …

I can understand the frustrations of music lovers who get no satisfaction from current mainstream songs, though they try and they try. I also lament the lack of imagination on many modern hits. But I disagree with my Boomer friends’ larger verdict. I listen to two to three hours of new music every day, and I know that plenty of exceptional young musicians are out there trying to make it. They exist. But the music industry has lost its ability to discover and nurture their talents.. . . "

The new music market is actually shrinking. All the growth in the market is coming from old songs.

Just consider these facts: the 200 most popular tracks now account for less than 5% of total streams. It was twice that rate just three years ago. And the mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted to older music—the current list of most downloaded tracks on iTunes is filled with the names of bands from the last century, such as Creedence Clearwater and The Police.
Sound about right? I know I cant name too many new songs. The ones I can are all country.

Sick vulgar singers and songwriters are whats killing music last few decades. I like just 2 rap songs MC Hammer 'Can't Touch This' and Vanilla Ice ;Ice Ice Baby'. I like the beat in those when I dancercize.

The Superbowl showed the world Generation X gave us the greatest music ever. Snoop Dogg, Dre, Mary J, Eminem. The 90's were amazing. Started falling apart after that.

Want to blame someone blame

Millennials​

Their music sucks.

Music will never die.

It might be agonizing ....like most music these days :dunno:.....but in all truth.....Music will never die.
I have a friend who treats music as if it has died. He has thousands of songs on his playlist but they are from the 80s to about 2015. Can’t stand going to his house he always has the same shit playing like if you went to a deserted island and could only take 10,000 songs.

But apparently music WILL go into a coma for several decades.

You know something interesting?

Great music tunes have their way to come out ....and I really mean amazing music.....not as often and not as much as before.... but every now and then really good music appears out there!

So good that it really amazes me....not every day though..... not as often as in times gone by ....but are not dead.

You know something interesting?

Great music tunes have their way to come out ....and I really mean amazing music.....not as often and not as much as before.... but every now and then really good music appears out there!

So good that it really amazes me....not every day though..... not as often as in times gone by ....but are not dead.
Remember this show?

I was blown away weekly.

The show that killed Wolfman Jack?
Probably. Why did it kill him? I remember him being on the show.

All I remember is hearing Billy Joel sing one hit after the other. It seemed like every week he was singing a new killer song. All his best songs only back then they were new. I was hearing them for the first time. I think I also remember hearing John Cougar sing Jack and Diane on this show but I could be wrong about that.

There's another one. John Couger. I thought he was going to be the greatest. Then he kind of fizzled out pretty quickly as far as I was concerned.

y2k

It's been downhill since the 90s.

Forum List

Back