"Debris Field" found near the Titanic wreck site.

If you could equalize the pressure I guess it might work. I don't know what tolerance the human body has for such high pressures though.
The record for a technical dive is a bit over 1,000 feet. A technical dive is one in which the diver uses specialized equipment and special mixtures of gases, approximately 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases, primarily argon.

Recreational divers can go down to about 130 feet.

The record for a technical dive is a bit over 1,000 feet. A technical dive is one in which the diver uses specialized equipment and special mixtures of gases, approximately 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases, primarily argon.

Recreational divers can go down to about 130 feet.
130 feet under the water doesn't seem too recreational to me.

well, we probably could... I think their death was over in seconds?

I'm not sure what happens when the pressure goes.. I mean, does this mean something made the vessel blow up? I don't get it yet...
It did not explode, it imploded. Many tons of water rushed in to fill the void.

I believe this happened with minus 27 pounds of pressure. Imagine thousands of pressure.

In my misspent yoot, I worked as a diver for the MiamiSequarium and on a salvage boat. No, not gold coins or ingots. Lost keys, motors, cars. I seldom went more than 50 or 75 feet unless a couple of us was diving on an old wreck for fun.

The 'good' thing is the crew of the the sub literally nrver knew what hit them. When the sub imploded they were dead before their brains were able to register what happened.

'When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500 miles per hour - that’s 2,200 feet per second. A modern nuclear submarine’s hull radius is about 20 feet. So the time required for complete collapse is 20 / 2,200 seconds = about 1 millisecond. This mini-sub was much smaller, meaning the hull.was crushed faster than a millisecond.

A human brain responds instinctually to stimulus at about 25 milliseconds. Human rational response (sense→reason→act) is at best 150 milliseconds.'

No pain, just...GONE in less than a blink.of an eye.

Hopefully prior to the implosion there was no creacking, cracking, or sounds of the hull behinning to fail. Hopefully they were excited about the dive and chatting, no concern, no fear.

The 'good' thing is the crew of the the sub literally nrver knew what hit them. When the sub imploded they were dead before their brains were able to register what happened.

'When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500 miles per hour - that’s 2,200 feet per second. A modern nuclear submarine’s hull radius is about 20 feet. So the time required for complete collapse is 20 / 2,200 seconds = about 1 millisecond. This mini-sub was much smaller, meaning the hull.was crushed faster than a millisecond.

A human brain responds instinctually to stimulus at about 25 milliseconds. Human rational response (sense→reason→act) is at best 150 milliseconds.'

No pain, just...GONE in less than a blink.of an eye.

Hopefully prior to the implosion there was no creacking, cracking, or sounds of the hull behinning to fail. Hopefully they were excited about the dive and chatting, no concern, no fear.

Hope that was the case but in reality we don't really know when it imploded. They could have been having some oh shit moment that sent them hurdling down before the implosion. The reporting on the sub net is a little wonky about when the Navy detected it. I've seen at least 1 article that suggested it wasn't until over an hour after the sub went dark and one that said it was at the same time it went dark.

I discussed this with a friend yesterday afternoon. The rules of the sea are much like the rules of demolitions. A field I knew well in the Army. Those rules are written in blood.

It goes like this. Bob dies trying to do something. Someone else writes in a book. Don’t do what Bob did.

It really is that simple. Ignoring those rules is a certain recipe for disaster. You might get lucky and get away with it once or a few times. But eventually you will repeat the lesson that you should have learned from Bob.

7q4joy.jpg
Exactly... Unbelievable isn't it ?

209 people drowned off the coast of Greece, but the world worries about the deaths of several billionaires. What interesting times we live in.
The Onion (sarcasm): "Critics argue that the destroyed bathyscaphe should have been tested first with the poor on board."

Last edited:
If the immediate outside environment surrounding the suit is liquid, and then outside the ship or capsule is ocean/liquid, and inside the suit is liquid oxygen being maintained by an outside the suit machine in which exist inside the capsule , then all hazardous pressures are stabilized for the Adventure to be set upon maybe ?
The pressure is still transmitted to the liquid inside the capsule unless the capsule can maintain it's volume under the pressure differential.

If capsule doesn't collapse to failure because the liquid inside is not compressible, replacing some of that internal volume with something that is compressible will allow the capsule to distort until the pressures are equalized, and the volume will be reduced proportionally.

The pressure is still transmitted to the liquid inside the capsule unless the capsule can maintain it's volume under the pressure differential.

If capsule doesn't collapse to failure because the liquid inside is not compressible, replacing some of that internal volume with something that is compressible will allow the capsule to distort until the pressures are equalized, and the volume will be reduced proportionally.
Ultimately the internal venous structure of the human body cannot compensate for that kind of pressure. Even if you could find a way to counteract the pressure from within The human vein walls would be pressed paper thin and begin bursting all over the place I think.

I've dove to 100 feet a few times with normal scuba gear. Chasing free-swimming scallops or octopus.

It makes for a pretty pretty short dive (<25 minutes). but with a single tank (80 c.f.) you run out of air before you get in trouble.

I've done free ascents from 80 feet. Take the regulator out of your mouth and ascend at 60ft/min, exhaling the entire time. As the pressure decreases, the air in your lungs expands. You exhale continuously for over a minute, but you still have air when you reach the surface. It's an interesting sensation.

209 people drowned off the coast of Greece, but the world worries about the deaths of several billionaires. What interesting times we live in.
The Onion (sarcasm): "Critics argue that the destroyed bathyscaphe should have been tested first with the poor on board."
I saw a report yesterday that they have been doing deep sea diving like this back since 1960 and there have been no casualties. Hundreds and hundreds of dives. Some much deeper than where the Titanic was. James Cameron himself has gone down to the Titanic 30 times.

It is safe if you are in the right vessel. The American, French, Russian etc designs have all been with vessels made of the same uniform material. Like all steel or all titanium. The difference is that this design that failed used two different material that had to be laminated together. In the industry most people knew it was unsafe.

Stupidity to save money. The 53 year old White chief safety Engineer was fired for bringing up the issue.

Those rich people should have done their research. Everybody in the industry would have told them it was a tremendous risk.

Ultimately the internal venous structure of the human body cannot compensate for that kind of pressure. Even if you could find a way to counteract the pressure from within The human vein walls would be pressed paper thin and begin bursting all over the place I think.
I don't know what the limit is, but I agree- I don't think we could take it physiologically. We just aren't built for it.

Forum List

Back