Deal on USMCA reached

The irony here is that the dems contended new nafta did not sufficiently protect US workers from cheap Mexican wages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there's a deal. On balance nafta is better than nothing because US workers and Mexican workers are tied together in product mftring, and the consumer market has to be bigger than just the US. But the trumpanzees tossing US workers off the boat is priceless.

House Democrats and the White House have finally reached a deal to move forward with USMCA I wonder what else the two sides could have accomplished if they had not spent so much time on this impeachment mess.
House Democrats and the White House have a deal to move forward with USMCA trade agreement

~~~~~~
Democrats have had the USMCA completed for a year and have refused to release their approval of the revision of NAFTA. The politics of this stink to high heaven. Democrats obstructed the passing of this as well as many other Bills that would help America and it's citizens.
thats not true... the deal has been negotiated and elements added and modified for environmental and worker protections. Try and sprinkle a little more honesty in your posts.
You ask more than they can give. LOL

Democrats oppose anything good for Americans. Case in point, Nancy wouldn't agree to it until Mexican workers were taken care of.

House Democrats and the White House have finally reached a deal to move forward with USMCA I wonder what else the two sides could have accomplished if they had not spent so much time on this impeachment mess.
House Democrats and the White House have a deal to move forward with USMCA trade agreement

~~~~~~
Democrats have had the USMCA completed for a year and have refused to release their approval of the revision of NAFTA. The politics of this stink to high heaven. Democrats obstructed the passing of this as well as many other Bills that would help America and it's citizens.
thats not true... the deal has been negotiated and elements added and modified for environmental and worker protections. Try and sprinkle a little more honesty in your posts.

That sounds infinitely better. Thank god the Dems were all over it. It doesn't matter that Trump drove for the change to NAFTA, only that "elements were added or modified for environmental and worker protections". That is what made it infinitely better.

:WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

~~~~~~

That sounds infinitely better. Thank god the Dems were all over it. It doesn't matter that Trump drove for the change to NAFTA, only that "elements were added or modified for environmental and worker protections". That is what made it infinitely better.

:WooHooSmileyWave-vi:
i never said Trump didn’t play a major part in getting this done. He did and he gets credit

Still waiting on what will be better after usmca.

I posted this in another thread...though as I understand it my # 5 below was changed at the behest of the Dems.

1. Cars and trucks must have 75 percent of their components manufactured in Mexico, the US, or Canada to qualify for zero tariffs (up from 62.5 percent under NAFTA). While this sounds some what impressive, there are only two car lines sold being made in these countries that did not already meet the 75% rule. Trump wanted it to be 85%, but the other two would not agree to that, so he relented.

2. 40% of an automobile and 45% of a light truck must be produced using an average labor wage of $16/hour by 2023. Very nice for Mexicans, meaningless for Americans and not enough to force companies to bring production home when the average union auto worker is making $28 an hour with a whole lot better (and more expensive) benefits.

3. Restrictions on the import of U.S. ultra-filtered milk into Canada have been removed. This is a niche product used mostly by people like body builders and such looking for a boost in protein without extra sugar. Total sales in America are in the 130 million range and the companies that make it are very limited.

4. US producers will have access to an additional 3.6% of Canada’s dairy market. The entire Canadian Dairy market is about 10.5 billion total, so 3.6% of that is about 380 million. The US dairy market is about 47 billion, so the extra sales come out to 0.81% addition...less than 1% more sold...and that is only if they can take advantage of the full 3.6% extra that is open...which is not guaranteed. According to the US International Trade commission the new deal would add about 227 million a year to US dairy sales, or 0.61%. I guess they are not expecting the dairy companies to be able to take advantage of the whole extra 3.6% of the Canadian market.

5. Pharmaceutical companies can maintain patents on biologics for a 10-year term, up from eight years. Now, this again sounds pretty good until you learn that in the US it was 12 years, and Trump lowered it to 10 years so that Canada would up their to 10% also Basically a zero sum gain as the in the US generics can be sold two years sooner.

6. The White House said that the USMCA will create 176,000 jobs. Again, sounds impressive till you find out that is over the 16 year lifespan of the USMCA...or about 11,000 per year or 917 extra jobs per month...917! Not exactly a needle mover in regards to the economy.

7. The White House also said that the USMCA would add 76,000 new auto jobs in the US...over the 16 year lifespan...that comes out to 4750 a year or 396 a month. Again...not really moving the needle at all considering there are 9.9 million auto workers in the US right now.

~~~~~~
right, who was actually obstructing our country? SAD!!!!!!

I posted this in another thread...though as I understand it my # 5 below was changed at the behest of the Dems.

1. Cars and trucks must have 75 percent of their components manufactured in Mexico, the US, or Canada to qualify for zero tariffs (up from 62.5 percent under NAFTA). While this sounds some what impressive, there are only two car lines sold being made in these countries that did not already meet the 75% rule. Trump wanted it to be 85%, but the other two would not agree to that, so he relented.

2. 40% of an automobile and 45% of a light truck must be produced using an average labor wage of $16/hour by 2023. Very nice for Mexicans, meaningless for Americans and not enough to force companies to bring production home when the average union auto worker is making $28 an hour with a whole lot better (and more expensive) benefits.

3. Restrictions on the import of U.S. ultra-filtered milk into Canada have been removed. This is a niche product used mostly by people like body builders and such looking for a boost in protein without extra sugar. Total sales in America are in the 130 million range and the companies that make it are very limited.

4. US producers will have access to an additional 3.6% of Canada’s dairy market. The entire Canadian Dairy market is about 10.5 billion total, so 3.6% of that is about 380 million. The US dairy market is about 47 billion, so the extra sales come out to 0.81% addition...less than 1% more sold...and that is only if they can take advantage of the full 3.6% extra that is open...which is not guaranteed. According to the US International Trade commission the new deal would add about 227 million a year to US dairy sales, or 0.61%. I guess they are not expecting the dairy companies to be able to take advantage of the whole extra 3.6% of the Canadian market.

5. Pharmaceutical companies can maintain patents on biologics for a 10-year term, up from eight years. Now, this again sounds pretty good until you learn that in the US it was 12 years, and Trump lowered it to 10 years so that Canada would up their to 10% also Basically a zero sum gain as the in the US generics can be sold two years sooner.

6. The White House said that the USMCA will create 176,000 jobs. Again, sounds impressive till you find out that is over the 16 year lifespan of the USMCA...or about 11,000 per year or 917 extra jobs per month...917! Not exactly a needle mover in regards to the economy.

7. The White House also said that the USMCA would add 76,000 new auto jobs in the US...over the 16 year lifespan...that comes out to 4750 a year or 396 a month. Again...not really moving the needle at all considering there are 9.9 million auto workers in the US right now.
Yeah mostly more managed trade. But what will be made better? Our wages going up? Unemployment going down? I predict it changes nothing. What do the cheerleaders say?

Yeah mostly more managed trade. But what will be made better? Our wages going up? Unemployment going down? I predict it changes nothing. What do the cheerleaders say?

It is some minor tweaks, nothing more. I have said all along the biggest concession Trump got was our initials going first in the new name.

It is some minor tweaks, nothing more. I have said all along the biggest concession Trump got was our initials going first in the new name.
That’s my thoughts also. I’d like the cheerleaders to tell what this changes.

That’s my thoughts also. I’d like the cheerleaders to tell what this changes.

They have not gotten that in their talking points emails yet

NAFTA 2 was held back by Pelosi due to Big Pharma asking for extensions on their patents. Trump admin should have been pro-America from the start and maybe it would have gone forward much earlier. I say a win for the Dems by producing a win for the country.

You are not going to change the system by evolution. You will change it by revolution. Even to many of your own that are in the current system will not give up their benefits and perks for the cause. So to answer your question......revolution will be better. If you are gunning for it.

Forum List

Back