Dayton, Ohio zoning board votes to demolish the site of the Wright brothers' first bike shop

Looks like it's already been butchered.

1638183377996.png

The foundations would have to be underpinned; expensive and it may be too fragile. It sucks but it should have been saved when the beautiful features were still intact. Sadly; it looks too far gone now. I'd love to see the Inspection report but I'm no engineer.

Greg

It's a good call. The building was altered through the years and it's now prohibitively expensive to maintain.

Maybe Boeing can buy it and restore it
Just wondering when those beautiful features were removed??

Greg

Probably decades ago, long before historic preservation was a consideration.
I restored an old 1890s timber home; 35 square colonial. It was very bland so I worked weekends for a demolisher; I was paid in kind with features for the house. Things like gables, hallway arch...

like this

1638186224375.png

1638186498012.png

...bottom row 1st on the left veranda brackets, solid timber kitchen, floorboards, windows, french doors onto the verandas, clawfoot bath etc etc etc. Ended up a very pretty home. But it was timber; brick is a nightmare. The foundations in those days were rarely well done.

Greg

That's a god damn shame. They were a pivotal moment in world history. I mean credited as being the first to have a motor operated flying vehicle is no small task, it changed the world.

Sure the building was in disrepair but it deserved to be saved.

I guess today no one cares about American history, no one cares about the good things this country has done, no one wants to be proud of America. All people want now is to shit on American history and destroy it.

Fuck every single person who voted for demolishing it and every person who wants to demolish American history.

Tis just a building.

If the Preservation groups and the city's Landmarks Commission wanted it saved they should have maintained it over the years and not let it get to the point of no longer be safe to walk by.

I restored an old 1890s timber home; 35 square colonial. It was very bland so I worked weekends for a demolisher; I was paid in kind with features for the house. Things like gables, hallway arch...

like this

View attachment 569619

View attachment 569620
...bottom row 1st on the left veranda brackets, solid timber kitchen, floorboards, windows, french doors onto the verandas, clawfoot bath etc etc etc. Ended up a very pretty home. But it was timber; brick is a nightmare. The foundations in those days were rarely well done.

Greg
Gorgeous work!

Historic preservation are a labor of love.

I raised equity for a few historic preservation properties. The first on being the Hadley Dean Building in St Louis. It had a lobby filled with Egyptian motifs. Since then, the building changed hands and the lobby was deconstructed.

Oh well

Tis just a building.

If the Preservation groups and the city's Landmarks Commission wanted it saved they should have maintained it over the years and not let it get to the point of no longer be safe to walk by.
They need money for that.

Cities should avoid being owners of historic properties

what a bunch of disgusting racists

All memory of the Wright Brothers must be destroyed

Here we have two capitalistic white boys discover the secret of flight, something that man has tried since the dawn of time but failed, and did it without government funding or help in any way.

Or schools could start calling them the "Wrong Brothers" and accuse them of racism and white privilege as the reason they learned to fly.

Really those are the only to choices government run schools have

Seriously, this isn't Wokeness, this is a fact of life with older buildings.

The building is NOT the same one the Wright Brothers used, it's been changed beyond measure, is crumbling and more trouble than it's worth. Most importantly Dayton is not Florence, Italy or NYC Soho, it will take an outside group to save the building - if it's even salvageable.

what a bunch of disgusting racists

If all the Ohio Trump Cult members, who are lamenting the loss of the Wright Brothers building, would donate money for it's repair and maintenance, instead of to Trump's non-existent campaign, Ohio would benefit.

Forum List

Back