Dada, Absurdism and Non-Literature, Non-Music

JBG

Liberal democrat
Jan 8, 2012
New York City area
During the periods following WW I and WW II, various absurdist "art" forms evolved, that were, by design, utterly pointless. There were books such as Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett. Gripping it is not. I suppose it is one of the better of the "theater of the absurd" that became popular in the wake of WWI. Other examples include Rhinocéros by Eugène Ionesco, of which I'll add a review shortly. Though not my favorite genre, both are classics. Rhinocéros at least had hilarious moments, which are few and far between in Godot. The genre teaches something specific about the era.

In music, around the same time, a musical composition "written" by John Cage called 4'33" that actually came out in the same general time period as Waiting for Godot. See What is the point of John Cage's 4'33"? (link) for this equally pointless "piece." Here's the "soundtrack."
[youtube]JTEFKFiXSx4[/youtube]

There was an art form called "Dada." We were taught in high school English that this was "art." Any thoughts?

During the periods following WW I and WW II, various absurdist "art" forms evolved, that were, by design, utterly pointless. There were books such as Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett. Gripping it is not. I suppose it is one of the better of the "theater of the absurd" that became popular in the wake of WWI. Other examples include Rhinocéros by Eugène Ionesco, of which I'll add a review shortly. Though not my favorite genre, both are classics. Rhinocéros at least had hilarious moments, which are few and far between in Godot. The genre teaches something specific about the era.

In music, around the same time, a musical composition "written" by John Cage called 4'33" that actually came out in the same general time period as Waiting for Godot. See What is the point of John Cage's 4'33"? (link) for this equally pointless "piece." Here's the "soundtrack."

There was an art form called "Dada." We were taught in high school English that this was "art." Any thoughts?

Go Wait on the Dodo

Art should not submerge itself in societal decadence. It should attack it mercilessly. If the contemporary is contemptible, it should not chorus with the tempo of the times.

Fully agreed. This kind of art shows contempt for the audience.
Spoiled-Putrid Preppies

Snobbish class-hatred contempt for normal people. Every time some degenerate finger-painted monstrosity sells for a million dollars, it just shows what a messed-up decadent the rich buyer is.

Goofball Andy Warhol was funded by richgirl hippy Edie Sedgwick (dead from drug abuse at age 28), who herself was financed by a trust fund that came from 300 years of family value. Her ancestor was Speaker of the House in 1799.

Spoiled-Putrid Preppies

Snobbish class-hatred contempt for normal people. Every time some degenerate finger-painted monstrosity sells for a million dollars, it just shows what a messed-up decadent the rich buyer is.

Goofball Andy Warhol was funded by richgirl hippy Edie Sedgwick (dead from drug abuse at age 28), who herself was financed by a trust fund that came from 300 years of family value. Her ancestor was Speaker of the House in 1799.
Not surprised.

That you're talking about this art, shows that it has some purpose.

A lot of people think art should just be "pretty" or something like that, but high level art really should be connecting with people on a mental level.

It’s an art form

There’s a moment on a Zappa live recording where he asks an audience member who called out for Allman Bros Whipping Post to describe the piece and the audience member goes, Blehhhhhhh. Zappa replies, “clearly a John Cage composition”

That you're talking about this art, shows that it has some purpose.

A lot of people think art should just be "pretty" or something like that, but high level art really should be connecting with people on a mental level.
A pianist with his hands poised over a piano is not art or music. If I paid for this I am being ripped off. Sorry. Same with a play where nothing happens and doesn't contain other content which connects in some way.

Forum List

Back