Covid Apps virtually unused

Much more powerful apps are in use or were used flexibly and effectively in China and Korea, Taiwan, etc. We in the U.S. never really tried them, but then we also simply no longer do tracing and contact tracing, or even quarantining. We essentially abandoned all that. We will survive anyway, of course, but with many more cases and deaths than in once thought to be “backward” Asia.

Such a system can’t be used effectively here because our people seem to be much more afraid of “Big Brother” than of the virus, and even our “Big Brother” is more afraid of its own citizens than of the virus.

Just imagine what would happen if we faced a virus that really had, say, a 10% fatality rate — and hit young people equally with the old. Such a “Big Brother” system then, I believe, would prove crucial.

In China, where teeming cities are filled with high rise apartments filled with small apartments where three generations often live together, the threat of COVID was much greater. When the virus was still spreading, not well understood, and extremely feared, phone apps were developed there that became central tools of the health authorities.

In major Chinese cities notice of the location of every discovered case in every neighborhood was automatically sent out, so everybody knew if somebody working at the local pizza shop got infected, or in your housing complex, or at your child’s school. If you were sick or were tested the results were automatically placed on your app, so you might have a “red” code. With such a code you were in quarantine, could not enter the subway, a department store, travel to another city, etc. Of course you could eventually arrange to have another test and get upgraded to a yellow or green code. Codes were checked everywhere, and this proved highly effective in isolating individuals and ending the virus spread — it allowed China to end total lockdowns in many cities early and with more confidence. It wasn’t all smooth, but with mask wearing and social distancing too China rather quickly stopped all spread of this tricky often non-symptomatic virus.

Just thought I’d outline what I know worked in China, which of course has a more obedient population, much more powerful government control, more experience fighting epidemics, more volunteers willing to be mobilized quickly, etc., etc.

China lied about the virus from day one and you can’t believe or trust anything they say. Remember, they sold us toys with lead in the paint and drywall that poisoned many. I will never be stupid and trust China. You go right ahead, but if they lied at the beginning why would they be telling us the truth now?
What I wrote is based on generally known public knowledge within China. It is not based on CCP propaganda or anything “they say.” My own contacts in China have described these phone apps and confirmed how they are used. I cannot say they are used in every city in exactly the same way, of course. But nobody denies the success China has had in stopping spread of Covid-19.

Much more powerful apps are in use or were used flexibly and effectively in China and Korea, Taiwan, etc. We in the U.S. never really tried them, but then we also simply no longer do tracing and contact tracing, or even quarantining. We essentially abandoned all that. We will survive anyway, of course, but with many more cases and deaths than in once thought to be “backward” Asia.

Such a system can’t be used effectively here because our people seem to be much more afraid of “Big Brother” than of the virus, and even our “Big Brother” is more afraid of its own citizens than of the virus.

Just imagine what would happen if we faced a virus that really had, say, a 10% fatality rate — and hit young people equally with the old. Such a “Big Brother” system then, I believe, would prove crucial.

In China, where teeming cities are filled with high rise apartments filled with small apartments where three generations often live together, the threat of COVID was much greater. When the virus was still spreading, not well understood, and extremely feared, phone apps were developed there that became central tools of the health authorities.

In major Chinese cities notice of the location of every discovered case in every neighborhood was automatically sent out, so everybody knew if somebody working at the local pizza shop got infected, or in your housing complex, or at your child’s school. If you were sick or were tested the results were automatically placed on your app, so you might have a “red” code. With such a code you were in quarantine, could not enter the subway, a department store, travel to another city, etc. Of course you could eventually arrange to have another test and get upgraded to a yellow or green code. Codes were checked everywhere, and this proved highly effective in isolating individuals and ending the virus spread — it allowed China to end total lockdowns in many cities early and with more confidence. It wasn’t all smooth, but with mask wearing and social distancing too China rather quickly stopped all spread of this tricky often non-symptomatic virus.

Just thought I’d outline what I know worked in China, which of course has a more obedient population, much more powerful government control, more experience fighting epidemics, more volunteers willing to be mobilized quickly, etc., etc.

China lied about the virus from day one and you can’t believe or trust anything they say. Remember, they sold us toys with lead in the paint and drywall that poisoned many. I will never be stupid and trust China. You go right ahead, but if they lied at the beginning why would they be telling us the truth now?
What I wrote is based on generally known public knowledge within China. It is not based on CCP propaganda or anything “they say.” My own contacts in China have described these phone apps and confirmed how they are used. I cannot say they are used in every city in exactly the same way, of course. But nobody denies the success China has had in stopping spread of Covid-19.
That's what happens when you have a terrible record with Human Rights. You just need to dig a little deeper and get to the details.

That's what happens when you have a terrible record with Human Rights. You just need to dig a little deeper and get to the details.
And you think you have “dug deeper” than I have into what really happened during the Covid outbreak in China?

And you think you have “dug deeper” than I have into what really happened during the Covid outbreak in China?
Well, Tom, it sure sounds like you approve of their methods to attain control of the virus.
So I'm not sure if you dug deeper, or you have a much different view of Human Rights than I do.
Or, the fact you believe anything that China tells you. :rolleyes-41:

Well, Tom, it sure sounds like you approve of their methods to attain control of the virus.
So I'm not sure if you dug deeper, or you have a much different view of Human Rights than I do.
Or, the fact you believe anything that China tells you. :rolleyes-41:
My view — and I’ve dug deep — is that China’s solutions were extraordinarily appropriate and effective — for China’s reality. The very nature of our society with U.S. citizens’ present extreme hostility to and suspicion of government, our federal system, and our strongly individualistic conception of “human rights,” meant that we could not adopt China’s methods for defeating Covid. I never argued that the U.S. should adopt measures only appropriate for them.

At the same time, had China adopted the U.S. policy of quickly giving up, establishing no effective tracing or quarantines, no electronic apps, inconsistent masking and distancing, had it had incompetent or inactive top central leadership, it would have suffered many millions of deaths and far greater economic loss.

Today, far too late for them to have any effect, some U.S. states are finally trying to introduce voluntary Google & Apple apps. To get an understanding of what was involved in different electronic tracing, notifying and quarantining systems, here is an excerpt from one of two articles I recommend:

“Wuhan, the Chinese city at the heart of the pandemic, squashed the virus, eased the lockdown, then saw a small resurgence of the contagion in May. Public-health authorities went all out: They tested the entire population of 11 million and instituted the tracking of each person’s movements. Would-be customers could enter a shop only by having their temperature taken and exchanging personal bar codes, displayed on their phones, with the shop’s own identifying barcode. They then had to repeat the exchange upon leaving. That way, if anyone in the shop ended up testing positive, the authorities would be able to find whoever was in the same place at the same time, test those people, and, if necessary, quarantine them.

“It worked. As of mid-July, Wuhan was reporting that no new cases of the virus had been recorded for 50 consecutive days. But such a gargantuan effort is not always an option. In many parts of the world, most people will willingly participate only if they trust in the system.”

Here is another recent survey of tracing app lessons, this one centering on the South Korean experience:

What Should the U.S. Learn from South Korea's Covid-19 Success?

Last edited:
Dont know what to think on this. Is it a ray of hope or just another demonstration of hypocrisy by the party of science?
Despite promise, few in US adopting COVID-19 exposure apps (apnews.com)
Is this deliberate, willful trolling and the attending self-loathing that comes with it, or just simple-minded hatred and ignorance?

Why would Liberals need an app for Covid exposure when we social distance and wear masks everywhere we go?
If you can't figure it out....the liberals are still getting the China Flu even with masks and social distancing.
No we're not. That's dumbass rally-goers and Sturgis retards.
Wow! Not sure what to say on this one, I'm stunned.
So only conservatives are getting the China Flu, got it.
Did Madcow tell you that?
Yes, I'm aware that you are functionally illiterate. Re-read the sentence I was directly replying to.
If you can't figure it out....the liberals are still getting the China Flu even with masks and social distancing.
No. We're not. Any Liberals still getting Covid are not getting it even though they are wearing masks and SD. They are getting it by being young and careless, like a lot of Liberal college students, or working in medicine, like Liberal doctors and nurses and staff, or maybe just finding out that some maskless asshole in a red cap has been standing behind you in line. I would love to see an ideological breakdown of Covid cases.

Dont know what to think on this. Is it a ray of hope or just another demonstration of hypocrisy by the party of science?
Is this deliberate, willful trolling and the attending self-loathing that comes with it, or just simple-minded hatred and ignorance?

Why would Liberals need an app for Covid exposure when we social distance and wear masks everywhere we go?
Gee didn't know only Trumpeters died of it.....thanks for the science lesson
No, a lot of Trumpers are infecting others due to their ignorance and not give a shit about anybody else attitude. So, yes, real Americans are collateral damage to their Trump Cult.
So wouldn't you need the app to avoid them.......and if you're distancing you should be fine.
If you're distancing, then you don't need the app.

Liberals also tend to be more suspicious of government control and Big Brother than conservatives are. Witness the CIA surveillance bills that are all voted for lockstep by Republicans with the odd dissention by Russian Rand, in order to burnish his fake Libertarian credentials. Who are the biggest opponents, always? Ron Wyden. Sherrod Brown. Bernie Sanders. Who wanted to consolidate all the different agencies under one, easier to control, roof called Homeland Security? Republicans.

No we're not. That's dumbass rally-goers and Sturgis retards.
Wow! Not sure what to say on this one, I'm stunned.
So only conservatives are getting the China Flu, got it.
Did Madcow tell you that?
Yes, I'm aware that you are functionally illiterate. Re-read the sentence I was directly replying to.
No. We're not. Any Liberals still getting Covid are not getting it even though they are wearing masks and SD. They are getting it by being young and careless, like a lot of Liberal college students, or working in medicine, like Liberal doctors and nurses and staff, or maybe just finding out that some maskless asshole in a red cap has been standing behind you in line. I would love to see an ideological breakdown of Covid cases.
You don't even know what the fuck you responded to, idiot. Now you're in the damage control, idiot.

Given the blatant and outrageous abuses that we have already experienced in connection with the #CoronaHoax2020, how stupid does someone have to be to trust that information collected via one of these apps will not be abused to the detriment of those who are foolish enough to run them?

Big Brother can go fuck himself.

And he can still go fuck himself. Big Brother and his puppet, Gavin Newsom. I am absolutely not going to install this app, no matter how his stooges at Google nag me about it.

Screenshot_20201217-135333_Google Play services.jpg

Yeah, I didn't turn it on, I thought it was stupid 6 months ago, and I still think it's stupid.
Big Brother is watching
Big Brother doesn't need this app to know everything about you, which they already do.
They don't know squat about me and the China Flu. true story
You are so compliant.
They know everywhere you go, every website you visit, every phone call you make, every email or text message you send. They know what TV shows and movies you like, and you've given Facebook so much goddamned information over the years they can tell you when you have to go take a shit.

Gee didn't know only Trumpeters died of it.....thanks for the science lesson
No, a lot of Trumpers are infecting others due to their ignorance and not give a shit about anybody else attitude. So, yes, real Americans are collateral damage to their Trump Cult.
This is from back on November 1:

Study: Trump Rallies Linked To Over 700 Covid-19 Coronavirus Deaths, Here Are The Caveats (forbes.com)

Yeah, I didn't turn it on, I thought it was stupid 6 months ago, and I still think it's stupid.
Big Brother is watching
Big Brother doesn't need this app to know everything about you, which they already do.
They don't know squat about me and the China Flu. true story
You are so compliant.
They know everywhere you go, every website you visit, every phone call you make, every email or text message you send. They know what TV shows and movies you like, and you've given Facebook so much goddamned information over the years they can tell you when you have to go take a shit.
You don't know squat and it looks like you never will. They know my blood type.

Forum List

Back