Corporations behind efforts to label Sotomayor ‘racist’

When a law points in two contradictory directions in a particular case I view that as license to rule in favor of true justice. And anyone that believes true justice lies in denying these firefighters what they rightly earned, based solely on the color of their skin, is by definition a racist.

I don't think it's as simple as that. The town was not wrong in what it did in that it followed the law stating in essence no one got discrimminated against because all results were discarded. Personally - I did not agree with the town's actions but I think this case would have been a perfect one to look at the law itself and challenge it. Either way you ruled someone would be discrimminated against according to the law. How could have "true justice"?

True justice would be a decision that ignores race altogether IMO.

Agreed - but neither decision would ignore race.

I don't think it's as simple as that. The town was not wrong in what it did in that it followed the law stating in essence no one got discrimminated against because all results were discarded. Personally - I did not agree with the town's actions but I think this case would have been a perfect one to look at the law itself and challenge it. Either way you ruled someone would be discrimminated against according to the law. How could have "true justice"?

Exactly, and that is where the problem lies. I believe the case was decided correctly, but if I for one minute thought Sotomeyer ruled for the city because she was racist against whites then IMO she would be totally unqualified to be on SCOTUS and Obama would be an asshole for not withdrawing her nomination.

Exactly, and that is where the problem lies. I believe the case was decided correctly, but if I for one minute thought Sotomeyer ruled for the city because she was racist against whites then IMO she would be totally unqualified to be on SCOTUS and Obama would be an asshole for not withdrawing her nomination.

Yes, I agree and I too would oppose her nomination even if otherwise qualified because it would effect her judicial impartiality.

So I guess for many of you (I'll refrain from naming names) racism is like gays in the military: Don't ask don't tell. :lol:

Got it. :thup:

So I guess for many of you (I'll refrain from naming names) racism is like gays in the military: Don't ask don't tell. :lol:

Wrong, as usual.

Everyone is racist to some extent.

Allowing your prejudices to cause you to act in a vindictive manner is wrong, no matter who is doing it and doubly wrong for someone that is in a position of power.

I disagree with that generalization. The charge has been levied against many many people who've not suffered the slightest adverse consequence as a result. In fact, it's been a veritable boon for some.

Exceptions that prove the rule?

I raised you a generalization and you met me with one. cool!

adverse?

Wrong, as usual.

Allowing your prejudices to cause you to act in a vindictive manner is wrong, no matter who is doing it and doubly wrong for someone that is in a position of power.

:clap2:

the truth often hurts.

Wrong, as usual.

:clap2:

the truth often hurts.

Indeed. She's still smarting. :cool:

Forum List

Back