Cops bribe and lie to a teen to get a false confession.

It didn't say they beat him. Did they? I hear ya. A big mac does taste pretty good. The kid could be President.
Waukegan police interrogated the teen for hours without his parents or a lawyer present and tried to bribe Williams with food from McDonald’s in exchange for a confession; Williams caved after police promised he could go home once he confessed.

None of that really matters though, because a kid should be able to stand up under the pressure of police questioning for hours.

Waukegan police interrogated the teen for hours without his parents or a lawyer present and tried to bribe Williams with food from McDonald’s in exchange for a confession; Williams caved after police promised he could go home once he confessed.

None of that really matters though, because a kid should be able to stand up under the pressure of police questioning for hours.
So they aren't going to get their conviction. They are probably going to get disciplined, possibly prosecuted. The 15-year-old and his lawyer and maybe his parents are going to get a nice settlement. He wasn't beaten, so I don't buy traumatized. Pretty well making it the best Big, the kid ever got, unless he didn't get it. In that case, they owe him a Big Mac, too. If this works out, he may confess to all sorts of stuff. I can't recommend it though and warn everybody to warn your kids to never confess. Keep your mouth shut. That is why Satan created lawyers. Make your accusers prove it. It is their job to prove it not yours.

You're too smart not to get how these things happen.

People are coerced into false confessions, and into disclosures against their interest, ALL the time.

Hence the law these cops may have broken.
Often people end up disclosing things all on their own. They start with lies, get caught lying, and end up saying things they shouldn't trying to dig themselves out. Smart money is to request an attorney and STFU.

So they aren't going to get their conviction. They are probably going to get disciplined, possibly prosecuted. The 15-year-old and his lawyer and maybe his parents are going to get a nice settlement. He wasn't beaten, so I don't buy traumatized. Pretty well making it the best Big, the kid ever got, unless he didn't get it. In that case, they owe him a Big Mac, too. If this works out, he may confess to all sorts of stuff. I can't recommend it though and warn everybody to warn your kids to never confess. Keep your mouth shut. That is why Satan created lawyers. Make your accusers prove it. It is their job to prove it not yours.
Have you ever been questioned by the police for hours? It's easy as an adult to say what you would or wouldn't do, but a 15yr old is a little bit different.

I thought the courts ruled that cops can lie during questioning. This law seems unconstitutional.

Have you ever been questioned by the police for hours? It's easy as an adult to say what you would or wouldn't do, but a 15yr old is a little bit different.
No. Only for a few minutes at the age of 18/19. My dad told me to stay out of trouble with police and call him before I said much that was stupid. Smart man.

It's crap like this that has caused people to protest. This isn't a one/off rare thing. If I was a school official the cops would have had to have arrested me to get access to the teen without calling in the parents first.

In January, Illinois became the first state in the country to bar police from lying to minors during interrogations — including using tactics such as false promises of leniency if the accused person cooperates.................

..............If Waukegan police are found to have violated the law against deceiving juveniles during interrogation, Spagnolo said, the matter would be considered an “administrative disciplinary issue” rather than a criminal offense.

How is that? Once again cops covering for bad cops. The officers should be arrested and charged themselves.

A teen wrongly charged in a shooting says police offered him fast food to get a confession

The left: Cops are corrupt!
Also the left: Only cops should have guns!

The left: Cops are corrupt!
Also the left: Only cops should have guns!

I have now and have always supported the people's rights to own and carry guns. We have to be able to since so many will not address the corrupt aspects of policing.

It's crap like this that has caused people to protest. This isn't a one/off rare thing. If I was a school official the cops would have had to have arrested me to get access to the teen without calling in the parents first.

In January, Illinois became the first state in the country to bar police from lying to minors during interrogations — including using tactics such as false promises of leniency if the accused person cooperates.................

..............If Waukegan police are found to have violated the law against deceiving juveniles during interrogation, Spagnolo said, the matter would be considered an “administrative disciplinary issue” rather than a criminal offense.

How is that? Once again cops covering for bad cops. The officers should be arrested and charged themselves.

A teen wrongly charged in a shooting says police offered him fast food to get a confession
I wonder if compensation or advancement is tied to the number of convictions?

No way that goes wrong.....ever, right?

Forum List

Back