Cool pics of moon phases taken every day from the same place, same time.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Interesting pattern that is produced, quite beautiful imo.

MoonPhases.jpg

Interesting pattern that is produced, quite beautiful imo.

View attachment 879250

That is impossible. I can see where a month's travel along the ecliptic might account for the lateral travel, but because the moon also travels retrograde eastward around the Earth by more than 12° a day, at the same time each night, the moon thus slowly travels across the sky west to east and it would be impossible to photograph the moon in this tight S-configuration along a fixed horizon without taking the picture later and later each night until the Earth's rotation compensated--- not at the same time each day. In fact, eventually, some phases would end up in daylight, not even under the same nighttime lighting as each phase of the moon represents more than just position to the Earth but to the Sun as well.

That is impossible. I can see where a month's travel along the ecliptic might account for the lateral travel, but because the moon also travels retrograde eastward around the Earth by more than 12° a day, at the same time each night, the moon thus slowly travels across the sky west to east and it would be impossible to photograph the moon in this tight S-configuration along a fixed horizon without taking the picture later and later each night until the Earth's rotation compensated--- not at the same time each day. In fact, eventually, some phases would end up in daylight, not even under the same nighttime lighting as each phase of the moon represents more than just position to the Earth but to the Sun as well.
Bingo, I was about to call bullshit on this too.

I always keep track of the Moon when I go for my daily walks with my dog.

Bingo, I was about to call bullshit on this too.
I always keep track of the Moon when I go for my daily walks with my dog.

The photo appears more like an analemma, a picture of the sun taken throughout the year at the same mean solar time.

231417eec023dd92299c949be9075c7a.jpg

This shows the Sun's annual travel north and south throughout the ecliptic as well as its relative height above the horizon at the same mean solar time throughout the year.

My guess is that the OP's photo represents a digital composite, a popular trend these days, superimposing the lunar phases and monthly travel against an interesting night time location for reference, rather easy to so as lunar exposures are mere snapshots due to the brightness of the moon, easily digitally inserted over the night time scene.

The photographer gives a detailed explanation on his website on how the composite picture was created. If I remember correctly he took the initial shot with the twilight sky and then superimposed JUST the moon in it's various phases onto the initial twilight shot.

The photographer gives a detailed explanation on his website on how the composite picture was created. If I remember correctly he took the initial shot with the twilight sky and then superimposed JUST the moon in it's various phases onto the initial twilight shot.

That is the only way it could have been done--- superimposed and composited.

Forum List

Back