Conceding an argument?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Is there an unwritten forum rule that conceding an argument is a sign of weakness? How about even acknowledging that your opponent in the debate has made a valid point?

In the brief time that I've been here at USMB, I've observed that many many forum regulars seem to adhere to such a rule with unwavering servile obedience. I'm not going to single anyone out (that's for the flame zone), but on several occassions I've witnessed a person's entire position get completely dismantled and by all reasoned accounts wholly discredited. Yet they stubbornly and persistently deny that this is the case and continue to defend their failed argument with the ferocity of a caged, rabid badger.

In my opinion, demonstrating an open-minded willingness to not only accept, but acknowledge, when one's argument has been bested, is more a sign of strength and confidence than it is weakness. But perhaps that's just me.

utterly dismantled is an OPINION.

maybe you should brush op on logic before you post another profound thread

• Banned
I know this is probably weird, but I actually like it when I get proven wrong.

Me too.

It means I learned something.

And just to confess, sometimes I argue a point I disagree with in an effort to stockpile my arsenal for when I debate these things with people in the real world. There are a lot of educated and intelligent people here to draw from. And many of them are quite eager to do my research for me. :cool:

:eusa_doh:

I don't even mind that. All the research helps discover alternate viewpoints. The biggest problem most people have is only looking at things that confirm their views...pretty natural and something it's best to fight against.

clearly, "everyone" is a standard we can all agree on

:rolleyes:

Wait, I think he meant "anyone."

But far be it from me to assume what Shoggie means by anything he says. :D

amazing.. not taking the opportunity to revamp what I actually posted?

I better get my telescope out tonight for it seems that some stars and planets are in alignment with hell freezing over.

Is there an unwritten forum rule that conceding an argument is a sign of weakness? How about even acknowledging that your opponent in the debate has made a valid point?

In the brief time that I've been here at USMB, I've observed that many many forum regulars seem to adhere to such a rule with unwavering servile obedience. I'm not going to single anyone out (that's for the flame zone), but on several occassions I've witnessed a person's entire position get completely dismantled and by all reasoned accounts wholly discredited. Yet they stubbornly and persistently deny that this is the case and continue to defend their failed argument with the ferocity of a caged, rabid badger.

In my opinion, demonstrating an open-minded willingness to not only accept, but acknowledge, when one's argument has been bested, is more a sign of strength and confidence than it is weakness. But perhaps that's just me.

Excellent point, worthy of dicussion. I'll see if I can't drum up some opinion worthy of it while I am toiling away at the salt mine today.:cool:

To some people, accepting that their argument has been bested, or admit they are just wrong, wrecks their carefully constructed "world." People on political mesage boards are especially susceptable to that since they are expressing their ideals and most base their lives and decisions on their idealism.

How shrill they get just depends on how much of their argument is based on emotion and how much is based on fact.

If we were all the same and open-minded and willing to accept that we may be wrong we would probably all get along and the political divide in this country wouldn't be what it is.

Forum List

Back