Commitment to your dog

No less committed than you'd be to your son or daughter.

If I had to choose between a transmission for my car and my daughter I would chose my daughter 100 times out of 100.

If I had to choose between a transmission for my car and my dog I would chose the transmission for my car 100 times out of 100. I’m just curious what that reveals about my character.

But you are not having to choose between your dog and something else. You are forcing your wife to do that.

I will be honest, if either of my wives had given me the ultimatum you gave your wife, I would have had only one question. Do you want me to help you pack.

And that is only partly because of how I value my animals. The biggest part would be because of the audacity of making me choose between two things I love.

You should, at the very least, learn to live with the dogs.

It is obvious which one you valued more. Forgive me if I have no respect for someone who loves their dog more than their spouse. I just don’t. Bad mouth me if you want.
You don't love your wife much if you make her chose between you and dogs she loves.

If I had to choose between a transmission for my car and my daughter I would chose my daughter 100 times out of 100.

If I had to choose between a transmission for my car and my dog I would chose the transmission for my car 100 times out of 100. I’m just curious what that reveals about my character.

But you are not having to choose between your dog and something else. You are forcing your wife to do that.

I will be honest, if either of my wives had given me the ultimatum you gave your wife, I would have had only one question. Do you want me to help you pack.

And that is only partly because of how I value my animals. The biggest part would be because of the audacity of making me choose between two things I love.

It is obvious which one you valued more. Forgive me if I have no respect for someone who loves their dog more than their spouse. I just don’t. Bad mouth me if you want.

YOu didn't read what I said. The main reason I would help her pack is because she gave me that ultimatum.

You never answered the question of why you, the person who got the dog, now demands that they be tossed aside like garbage.

Your wife loves you and she loves the dog. Only one is making her choose. And, from what I can see, for no good reason.

You don't love your wife much if you make her chose between you and dogs she loves.

That was never the point.

The question is: How committed should you be to your dog?

Turn the situation around. Let’s say my wife is asking me to choose between her and the dogs. Which one should I chose?

Odd. I never left my daughter at home when she was 2 years old
I told my wife years ago that we would have kids when they could be born as 6 year olds. Anything less than that and she was out of luck.

We have a pair of live-in dog sitters in my brother/sister-in-law who live next door with my mother & father-in-law.
Odd. I never paid for college for my dogs
We’ve done obedience school with both of our dogs but no college.

Nor would I pay for any child of mine to attend a college or university. Trade school or pay for it on your own.

Attachments

• FB58A95B-13E9-430E-8FBF-5AEFFA5082F8.jpeg
    FB58A95B-13E9-430E-8FBF-5AEFFA5082F8.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 32
As committed as it gets.
That’s vague. Let me give you an example. I gave my wife an ultimatum. I told her to get rid of the dogs within 30 days or I’m moving out. Should my wife choose her husband or the dogs? (There are three of them if that matters.)

I am also curious. Does the commitment extend to cockroaches too? If not, when did dogs receive this elevated legal status? I can kill cockroaches galore no questions asked but once i kill a dog, I am some sort of criminal. Can someone give me some background on the legal classifications of animals?
She's going to miss you.

YOu didn't read what I said. The main reason I would help her pack is because she gave me that ultimatum.

You never answered the question of why you, the person who got the dog, now demands that they be tossed aside like garbage.

Your wife loves you and she loves the dog. Only one is making her choose. And, from what I can see, for no good reason.

Well. We can turn it around if it makes you uncomfortable. Let’s say my wife asked me to choose. Should I be committed to the dog?

Turn the situation around. Let’s say my wife is asking me to choose between her and the dogs. Which one should I chose?

That ultimatum should never be given inthe first place. Short of a medical issue, any dog you bring home is your responsibility.

As committed as it gets.
That’s vague. Let me give you an example. I gave my wife an ultimatum. I told her to get rid of the dogs within 30 days or I’m moving out. Should my wife choose her husband or the dogs? (There are three of them if that matters.)

I am also curious. Does the commitment extend to cockroaches too? If not, when did dogs receive this elevated legal status? I can kill cockroaches galore no questions asked but once i kill a dog, I am some sort of criminal. Can someone give me some background on the legal classifications of animals?
She's going to miss you.

Probably not. I killed two cockroaches yesterday. She’s still pissed about it.

That ultimatum should never be given inthe first place. Short of a medical issue, any dog you bring home is your responsibility.

What if it were a chicken, squirrel, pig, or cat? Does the same legal/moral/ethical restrictions apply? or do dogs get special rules because of their power to manipulate?

Why are you demanding that your wife choose?

This is the third time I am saying this: if it makes you more comfortable let’s just say my wife is the one asking me to chose. What is the morally correct option for me to chose in that situation?

This thread isn’t titled, “How Horrible is vasuderatorrent”. I can start that thread if you wish. This particular thread is about how committed you should or shouldn’t be to your dog.

Rare is the dog who gives without expecting an ROI- people on the other hand demand it- which is the better class of people- my oldest son had a pit bull that was a better person than most people I know- we had to have him put down because he had cancer- we made sure he knew he was loved right up until his last breath, which I shared with him, laying on the vets floor crying like a baby- brings tears to me eyes still and that was 4 years ago-

It is no secret that I have never had much respect for you, Anathema. This post changes that. I still disagree with much that you believe in. But if you treat animals the way you say, you can't be that bad. Respect for that
I find animals to be far superior to humans in pretty much every aspect of life.

I learned from my father. One of the only times I ever saw him cry, swear and threaten anyone was the day a neighbor’s dog attacked and killed our dog. I had no doubt that he meant every bit of what he said to that neighbor.

I’ve had dogs, a cat, and several horses over the years. The cat and one of those horses are all that kept me marginally sane after my dad died 20 years ago. My two current dogs were my therapists when I had my medical issues last year.

They’re part of the family. It’s just that simple. When I eventually move on to the other side of Eternity I’m far more looking forward to seeing the animals who’ve gone before me than most of my family members.

Again if you ACTUALLY loved your wife you would not make her chose you would just live with the dogs because she loves them.

hey dummy. I flipped it. In the new scenario my wife is asking me to choose.

this thread isn’t about how horrible I am. On a scale of 1-100 with 100 being the most horrible then I am an easy 100. Now let’s stay on topic. How committed should a person be to their dog?

It is no secret that I have never had much respect for you, Anathema. This post changes that. I still disagree with much that you believe in. But if you treat animals the way you say, you can't be that bad. Respect for that
I find animals to be far superior to humans in pretty much every aspect of life.

I like how honest and revealing this is. I suspect this is how most dog lovers feel deep down. They hate people.

Forum List

Back