Cleveland mechanic becomes ER doctor at 51 - after starting pre-med classes in 2010

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
A great story! Congratulations to this man.

A former Cleveland-area mechanic has completed his lifelong goal of becoming a medical physician nearly 32 years after opening his auto shop.

Carl Allamby, 51, started his job in an emergency room as an attending physician at Cleveland Clinic's Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Heights, Ohio, 16 years after deciding he wanted to return to school.

He enrolled at Ursuline College in Pepper Pike, Ohio, in 2016 at age 34 to attain a business degree, after having been a small business owner for 15 years.

After taking an introductory biology course, Allamby was reminded of 'childhood ambitions' to become a doctor.

He then enrolled in pre-med classes at Cleveland's Cuyahoga Community College in 2010.

'After my decision to pursue medicine, I started volunteering at a hospital in the Cleveland area,' Allamby told FOX News.

'Every exposure I had in medicine further solidified my choice to pursue a medical career.'

Carl Allamby, 51, opened his auto shop, Allamby's Auto Service, when he was 19

After pursuing a business degree in 2006, he then decided to take pre-med classes in 2010

A former Cleveland-area mechanic has completed his lifelong goal of becoming a medical physician nearly 32 years after opening his auto shop.
Carl Allamby, 51, started his job in an emergency room as an attending physician at Cleveland Clinic's Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Heights, Ohio, 16 years after deciding he wanted to return to school.
He enrolled at Ursuline College in Pepper Pike, Ohio, in 2016 at age 34 to attain a business degree, after having been a small business owner for 15 years.
After taking an introductory biology course, Allamby was reminded of 'childhood ambitions' to become a doctor.
He then enrolled in pre-med classes at Cleveland's Cuyahoga Community College in 2010.
'After my decision to pursue medicine, I started volunteering at a hospital in the Cleveland area,' Allamby told FOX News.
'Every exposure I had in medicine further solidified my choice to pursue a medical career.'
Carl Allamby, 51, opened his auto shop, Allamby's Auto Service, when he was 19's Auto Service, when he was 19
After pursuing a business degree in 2006, he then decided to take pre-med classes in 2010

America is the land of opportunity and pursuit of happiness/ Congratulations to this man, he was born in the right country.

Carl Allamby, 51, opened his auto shop, Allamby's Auto Service, when he was 19's Auto Service, when he was 19

My uncle worked for 30 years for IBM. He was one of eight kids who never went to college and started working at 15. He quit when he was 45. Went to college then medical school, opened a practice, and sold it to hospital system for quite of bit of money and now works for them as one of their doctors. He's 61 now I believe. Couldn't be more proud of him.

My uncle worked for 30 years for IBM. He was one of eight kids who never went to college and started working at 15. He quit when he was 45. Went to college then medical school, opened a practice, and sold it to hospital system for quite of bit of money and now works for them as one of their doctors. He's 61 now I believe. Couldn't be more proud of him.

Always run against the wind, never give up on yourself and when people tell you "it can't be done" know that it wasn't their gene that was around when men created fire, built the wheel, developed language.

There is no question that America is the land where these successes are more abundant. The question is, will you become more and more like those nations in which such pursuits are rarely fulfilled, or will you remain America the free, capitalist, innovator?

There is a reason there aren't Elon Musks, Bill Gates or Mark Cubans in Canada et al...

Always run against the wind, never give up on yourself and when people tell you "it can't be done" know that it wasn't their gene that was around when men created fire, built the wheel, developed language.

There is no question that America is the land where these successes are more abundant. The question is, will you become more and more like those nations in which such pursuits are rarely fulfilled, or will you remain America the free, capitalist, innovator?

There is a reason there aren't Elon Musks, Bill Gates or Mark Cubans in Canada et al...
What are you on about? No one in my family or that I know thought he couldn't do it because of "genes" and Canada has its own billionaires.

What are you on about? No one in my family or that I know thought he couldn't do it because of "genes" and Canada has its own billionaires.

If one doesn't believe it can be done, it won't be done, you also need the system that supports the possibility or even the most ambitious and creative man is doomed to mediocrity.

The British exported the caste system to India and elsewhere, it was also exported to Canada through government controls. Canada had a choice "be more like America or maintain the old system from the British where if born poor you will die poor". Many Canadian soldiers who fought the U.S in the War of 1812 were given plots of land for their loyalty while the monarchy to this day owns ALL of Canadas land (well, over 90% I believe).

Canada has Old Money very few innovative billionaires. It's why 10x the nominal number of people leave from Canada to the U.S rather than vice versa. Astounding considering the U.S has nominally 10x the population we do.

Last edited:
If one doesn't believe it can be done, it won't be done, you also needs the system that supports the possibility or even the most ambitious and creative man is doomed to mediocrity.

The British exported the caste system to India and elsewhere, it was also exported to Canada through government controls. Canada had a choice "be more like America or maintain the old system from the British where if born poor you will die poor". Many Canadian soldiers who fought the U.S in the War of 1812 were given plots of land for their loyalty while the monarchy to this day owns ALL of Canadas land (well, over 90% I believe).

Canada has Old Money very few innovative billionaires. It's why 10x the nominal number of people leave from Canada to the U.S rather than vice versa. Astounding considering the U.S has nominally 10x the population we do.
I also have relatives in Canada who are business owners and have done quite well for themselves. What's with the Canada hate? 😆

I'm proud of this guy not only for his accomplishments, but because he's one of our own. Unfortunately we don't have many like him, and that's why his story is so transcending.

He didn't accept failure because of the color of his skin, he found success and wanted to be even more successful which applies to all Americans. Although having eye surgery tomorrow at the Cleveland Clinic, now makes me weary.
:auiqs.jpg:

Marlo Thomas (Daughter of the famous actor Danny Thomas) wrote a book about people like this. She wrote a woman was a school teacher and her father found her to be unhappy with her career. So he questioned her about it. She admitted she was not happy teaching children, so her father asked her what she would really like to do? She responded by saying she'd like to be a doctor. Her father said "so go be a doctor!" She said by the time she went through school, through medical school, through residency, she'd be close to 50 years old. Her father said "You're going to be 50 years old anyway!" She thought about that and followed her dream, and became a doctor.

It's a shame so many of us don't realize how blessed we are to be born in a country like ours. In other places, if you're born poor, that's exactly how you will live your life no matter how hard you try.

Forum List

Back