Chile

QuickHitCurepon

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2013
Earth
Since I'm really superstitious, I started this thread. I was going through some of my Chilean wife's papers, having grabbed the wrong folder, and a leaflet about the B.E. Esmeralda, titled, "XXXI Crucero De Instruccion Chilean Navy Training Cruise 1986" dropped out.

In 1942 the Spanish Navy started the construction of a sailing vessel with the name of "Juan de Austria" to replace the "Juan Sebastian de Elcano" training ship built in 1929. This new ship was to be constructed on the basis of the same blueprints of its predecessor. Due to economical reasons, the Spanish shipyards stopped all naval constructions and "Juan de Austria" remained unfinished.

In 1951, with arrangements between both Navies, the Spanish Government offered to sell the "Juan de Austria" to the Chilean Government. After some alterations in the drawing, the contract was signed and construction resumed. On June, 15th, 1954, Spain officially transferred the ship and she definitely joined the Chilean Navy on September 1st, 1954, upon her arrival to Valparaiso.

It doesn't matter. This thread can be for anything about Chile. :)

My wife's brother still gets a lot of news directly from South America.

Forum List

Back