Chief Manuelito's winter refuge

ozro

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2014
Off-grid Apache County, AZ
I was out walking along the Pinta Rim day before yesterday and took these pictures. This is about a mile north of my farm. The basin as seen from the top of the rim is purported to be where Chief Manuelito and about 200 Diné people hid out from Kit Carson and the US Army during the winter of 1865-1866. There are artifacts from the period scattered about the basin, although I didn't walk down there this day, I have in the recent past. This area is part of the "Newlands" section of the Navajo Nation. It lies about 25 miles south of Sanders, AZ.
The village of Navajo Springs is 10 miles west of here, and was the first "capitol" of Arizona Territory. This area was also the site of the first helium well in North America, it was capped in 2009.

I am just trying to contribute something different and interesting to the board. I hope you enjoy. Ya'ah'tee y'all!

I was out walking along the Pinta Rim day before yesterday and took these pictures. This is about a mile north of my farm. The basin as seen from the top of the rim is purported to be where Chief Manuelito and about 200 Diné people hid out from Kit Carson and the US Army during the winter of 1865-1866. There are artifacts from the period scattered about the basin, although I didn't walk down there this day, I have in the recent past. This area is part of the "Newlands" section of the Navajo Nation. It lies about 25 miles south of Sanders, AZ.
The village of Navajo Springs is 10 miles west of here, and was the first "capitol" of Arizona Territory. This area was also the site of the first helium well in North America, it was capped in 2009.

I am just trying to contribute something different and interesting to the board. I hope you enjoy. Ya'ah'tee y'all!

I have no idea why my pictures didn't post...any ideas anyone?

Depends on from where and how you're trying to attach them also how big they are. You can upload em to something like a photo sharing site or use UPLOAD A FILE at the bottom of your text box to upload from your computer. If the file size is too big you'll have to edit the picture sizes first.

Try HTML2.0 tags...

Code:
[img]pic-url[/img]

... I think that's what bbcode is based on.

Might be able to find a copy at your local library...

... or a used book store.

Depends on from where and how you're trying to attach them also how big they are. You can upload em to something like a photo sharing site or use UPLOAD A FILE at the bottom of your text box to upload from your computer. If the file size is too big you'll have to edit the picture sizes first.

Yes, Facebook can be a good one for this. Make your own group with only you and a fake you as members of the group, upload the photos, then link them from there.

Yes, Facebook can be a good one for this. Make your own group with only you and a fake you as members of the group, upload the photos, then link them from there.
If you say so........ :dunno:

It's what I do, it's free, not like other photo sharing sites.

Whatever floats your boat....... I prefer to keep my personal information much more private........

Whatever floats your boat....... I prefer to keep my personal information much more private........

I don't use it for personal information at all. Just photos of things I want to post on other sites that require you to link to another website.

Most things on Facebook are fake for me anyway.

I don't use it for personal information at all. Just photos of things I want to post on other sites that require you to link to another website.

How many "friends" requests did you get in the first week.......? The first month? Now.......?

Facebook is a data miner's dream come true.

How many "friends" requests did you get in the first week.......? The first month? Now.......?

Not many, I have had only one friend's request in the last year, and that was from some random Indian person on one of the groups I look at.

I really don't use it for much more than looking at groups and looking at other people's photos.

Not many, I have had only one friend's request in the last year, and that was from some random Indian person on one of the groups I look at.

I really don't use it for much more than looking at groups and looking at other people's photos.
Wiped my account a decade ago within the first week after being flooded with friends requests, there's other reasons but that was one of the kickers. But this is neither here nor there as the OP isn't about facebook. :thup:

Aniin!!

Chief Manuelito is the name given to him by the Hispanos but he had numerous names. He was born in what is now southeast Utah. He was a fairly successful war chief and a very effective negotiator/diplomat for the Navajo Nation in general.

I think i got it

Attachments

• IMG_20180404_115154450~2.jpg
    IMG_20180404_115154450~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
Chief Manuelito is the name given to him by the Hispanos but he had numerous names. He was born in what is now southeast Utah. He was a fairly successful war chief and a very effective negotiator/diplomat for the Navajo Nation in general.

He is remembered around here for his good works to benefit his people, and some of his clan still remain in this area.

Forum List

Back