Chesapeake Chicken

night_son

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2018
The Full Moon
After a weekend of engorging ourselves on fine home cooking, I spent an hour last night picking the rest of Thursday's steamed blue crabs. What meat made it into the steel bowl contributed to another family favorite: Chesapeake Chicken. Now, in some uh hum East Coast dining establishments, Chesapeake Chicken means roasted chicken pieces sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning. Below is our recipe for the real thing.

Side note: We visited with the future in-laws Saturday for a mixed Creole/East Indian dinner of Tandoori Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya. I agreed to take a glass of her mother's homemade Kumis and smile it down with the knowledge her father and I would soon after be retreating to his study for a taste of Glenfiddich 30 year on the rocks. While the ladies caught up in the dining room on center piece designs, we hustled off to discuss finer things over that Scotch, such as wedding finances and politics (escape plan, anyone?). What we actually accomplished covertly in the absence of our better halves was advancing our long played Shadowrun campaign. Who says life has to be dreadful even if Guyanese cooking burns your face off and future father-in-laws airs of intimidation extend only to the threshold of their dens? Turns out there is balance in the universe.

Chicken Chesapeake

2 large whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed
1 pound lump blue crab meat
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon cream cheese
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 egg
2 stalks fresh cilantro, diced
1/8 sweet red onion, diced
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp Tajin Classic seasoning
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Slice a 2-3 inch deep "pocket" into the entire lateral length of each chicken breast. Place pieces of meat in a mixture of salt, meat tenderizer, Old Bay seasoning and ice cold water. Let soak in fridge for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350.

In a metal mixing bowl beat one large egg. Add mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay seasoning, Tabasco Sauce, sour cream, Tajin seasoning, lemon juice, cream cheese (softened in microwave), red onion and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix together thoroughly. Add lump crab meat. Use hands to knead and mix crab meat with other ingredients until all liquid, onion and cheese bits are absorbed and worked into the meat. Divide meat into equal 1/2 pound sections.

Remove chicken from fridge. Drain and pat dry, place in glass oven safe dish with pockets facing up. line bottom of pockets with diced cilantro. Stuff each chicken breast with 1/2 each of crab meat mixture. Secure closed with skewers or toothpicks if desired. Sprinkle additional sharp cheddar cheese over each chicken breast. Cover dish loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for 55-75 minutes, checking often after 30 minutes. Cover and uncover dish as needed to prevent chicken drying out. Spoon liquid from bottom of dish over chicken as desired to increase tenderness.

Remember to remove toothpicks/skewers before eating. Serve with fresh, hot pretzel bread and melted butter/Old Bay mix on the side. Goes down extremely well with a Summer Shandy or Shiner Bock.

Enjoy

Food.jpg

Sounds good!
What is tajin seasoning?

Ya know TNHarley - that's a very good question!

I'm an East Coast gal accustomed to Bell's and Old Bay seasoning and have not heard of tajin until recently.

I do have Tajin in my spice cabinet.

TAJIN® is produced in Zapopan, Mexico from world-class chilies sourced from farmers in the region and then exported to the US as a packaged and branded product to be sold at wholesale and retail.

After a weekend of engorging ourselves on fine home cooking, I spent an hour last night picking the rest of Thursday's steamed blue crabs. What meat made it into the steel bowl contributed to another family favorite: Chesapeake Chicken. Now, in some uh hum East Coast dining establishments, Chesapeake Chicken means roasted chicken pieces sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning. Below is our recipe for the real thing.

Side note: We visited with the future in-laws Saturday for a mixed Creole/East Indian dinner of Tandoori Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya. I agreed to take a glass of her mother's homemade Kumis and smile it down with the knowledge her father and I would soon after be retreating to his study for a taste of Glenfiddich 30 year on the rocks. While the ladies caught up in the dining room on center piece designs, we hustled off to discuss finer things over that Scotch, such as wedding finances and politics (escape plan, anyone?). What we actually accomplished covertly in the absence of our better halves was advancing our long played Shadowrun campaign. Who says life has to be dreadful even if Guyanese cooking burns your face off and future father-in-laws airs of intimidation extend only to the threshold of their dens? Turns out there is balance in the universe.

Chicken Chesapeake

1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 egg
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning

Slice a 2-3 inch deep "pocket" into the entire lateral length of each chicken breast. Place pieces of meat in a mixture of salt, meat tenderizer, Old Bay seasoning and ice cold water. Let soak in fridge for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350.

In a metal mixing bowl beat one large egg. Add mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay seasoning, Tabasco Sauce, sour cream, Tajin seasoning, lemon juice, cream cheese (softened in microwave), red onion and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix together thoroughly. Add lump crab meat. Use hands to knead and mix crab meat with other ingredients until all liquid, onion and cheese bits are absorbed and worked into the meat. Divide meat into equal 1/2 pound sections.

Remove chicken from fridge. Drain and pat dry, place in glass oven safe dish with pockets facing up. line bottom of pockets with diced cilantro. Stuff each chicken breast with 1/2 each of crab meat mixture. Secure closed with skewers or toothpicks if desired. Sprinkle additional sharp cheddar cheese over each chicken breast. Cover dish loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for 55-75 minutes, checking often after 30 minutes. Cover and uncover dish as needed to prevent chicken drying out. Spoon liquid from bottom of dish over chicken as desired to increase tenderness.

Remember to remove toothpicks/skewers before eating. Serve with fresh, hot pretzel bread and melted butter/Old Bay mix on the side. Goes down extremely well with a Summer Shandy or Shiner Bock.

Enjoy

View attachment 211624
Living in Maryland, anything goes better with Old Bay

Put it on my eggs, corn on the cob, pizza

Chicken Chesapeake

1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 egg
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning

Preheat oven to 350.

Enjoy

View attachment 211624

I carry a small tin of Old Bay whenever I am traveling somewhere it might not be available. I've tried to recreate the recipe many times over the years, but it just isn't the same as the original. Some people prefer Wye River, but I never cared for it as much.

Hellmann's and Best Foods are made by the same company.

ammirite?

Why two different names for the same product?

Seems people taste differing flavors in the label alone. Hellmann's speaks to the part of my genetic palate that is German, I suppose.

Well, I'm part German.
My mother grew up in a German speaking household.

Maybe it's the name 'Hellmann's' vs the generic 'Best Foods' that speaks to your palate?

ammirite?

Seems people taste differing flavors in the label alone. Hellmann's speaks to the part of my genetic palate that is German, I suppose.

Well, I'm part German.
My mother grew up in a German speaking household.

Maybe it's the name 'Hellmann's' vs the generic 'Best Foods' that speaks to your palate?

My maternal grandparents would argue around the kitchen in German. She would sometimes throw plates. He would clean up the debris. It all worked out great for them.

Chicken Chesapeake

1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 egg
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning

Preheat oven to 350.

Enjoy

View attachment 211624

I carry a small tin of Old Bay whenever I am traveling somewhere it might not be available. I've tried to recreate the recipe many times over the years, but it just isn't the same as the original. Some people prefer Wye River, but I never cared for it as much.
In Maryland when you go to a restaurant they have three shakers on the table....Salt, Pepper and Old Bay

ammirite?

Different recipes, they are different. Best Foods is western US, Hellman's is eastern.
They were two companies that were first brought together I think when Best Foods bought out Hellman's...but kept the name...and now they are both owned by Brits.

I don't cook breastuses anymore before splitting (or tri-splitting them) and pounding them.

I just can't handle how spongy the breast meat is anymore. I don't know why it's like that but it freaks me out unless it's sliced super thin.

I can feed a family of 7 using 4 breasts, and have leftovers.

Forum List

Back