Cecrops I

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Cecrops I invented marriage as a punishment to women AND he was only half man and half fish. I knew it was a punishment. He is often listed at the founding King of Athens but I have come across him listed as the second king. Whatever. That isn't the important part. The important part is that Athena and Poseidon competed in a race to be the patron deity in Athens. Athena planted an olive tree and called Cecrops to witness it; however, Poseidon had thrown his trident and nailed the acropolis before she got there. He loses and he floods the area with salt water. He goes to the Oracle at Delphi and is informed that either he or Athena could be the patron deity. The men and women vote. The men vote for Poseidon and the women vote for Athena. There is one more woman than there are men and Athena is the winner. After this, the women lose the right to vote.

You have to have something in order to lose it.

Now the marriage thing there was an inability to track the father of the children mentioned and, of course, this. Also, what a cop out to use the deities to explain why things had to be. Well, you could have voted but the last time that happened you pissed off Poseidon and Cecrops.

I would have hated to live in Athens as a woman. Sparta was way more advanced in some ways and the women had way more freedom and money.

Cecrops I invented marriage as a punishment to women AND he was only half man and half fish. I knew it was a punishment. He is often listed at the founding King of Athens but I have come across him listed as the second king. Whatever. That isn't the important part. The important part is that Athena and Poseidon competed in a race to be the patron deity in Athens. Athena planted an olive tree and called Cecrops to witness it; however, Poseidon had thrown his trident and nailed the acropolis before she got there. He loses and he floods the area with salt water. He goes to the Oracle at Delphi and is informed that either he or Athena could be the patron deity. The men and women vote. The men vote for Poseidon and the women vote for Athena. There is one more woman than there are men and Athena is the winner. After this, the women lose the right to vote.

You have to have something in order to lose it.

Now the marriage thing there was an inability to track the father of the children mentioned and, of course, this. Also, what a cop out to use the deities to explain why things had to be. Well, you could have voted but the last time that happened you pissed off Poseidon and Cecrops.

I would have hated to live in Athens as a woman. Sparta was way more advanced in some ways and the women had way more freedom and money.
My only question is which half was fish & which was man?
Marrying a catfish head mutant with man legs would be a pretty bad punishment for any woman

My only question is which half was fish & which was man?
Marrying a catfish head mutant with man legs would be a pretty bad punishment for any woman
The top half was man and the bottom was fish or serpent. I think he has been depicted as both. He was said to come from the earth.

Maybe. I think these women were able to vote and participate in society but lost that. I think this myth was created to explain why.

Spartan women had more control covertly. They had more wealth and they actively went against laws that tried to limit their wealth.

Forum List

Back