Car Maintenance Question...

If you do not use a car for a week, you should consider a trickle charger for the battery.
It is also called a float charger, and you can get one for about $5 at Harbor Freight.
If you don't have an outlet near the car, you could consider a solar powered one, but I have no experience with that.

Sitting will condense water in the gas tank, so some Heat alcohol will help prevent corrosion in the tank.

Besides oil and filter changes every 10,000 miles, you could do an air filter and fuel filter.

There otherwise is no problem, and I often let an extra car sit for 6 months at a time, without problem.

All gas in the area already has alcohol in it.
You can get alcohol-free gas around here -- it's sold as recreation fuel for watercraft and other toys -- but it's significantly more expensive.
>You can get alcohol-free gas around here -- it's sold as recreation fuel for watercraft and other toys -- but it's significantly more expensive.

Here too. Costs about $1/gallon more (but I don't pay much attention to cost). I use it in all of my small engines - lawn more, snow blower, weed whacker, etc.

I still use fuel stabilizer with it, but I haven't had a carb problem since I switched. I still drain the fuel tanks for long-term storage.

Ethanol (alcohol) absorbs water like a sponge. It will absorb it out of humid air, and turn into jello that will clog any carb. I have personally witnessed it, after a varmint chewed through one of my plastic gas cans. Had a bunch of jello at the bottom - basically slightly more than 10% by volume....

m-ethanol02.jpg

Not really a problem for modern cars, as their fuel systems are basically sealed. I wouldn't put it into a classic automobile without an evaporative emission control system though.

Pure ethanol also has about 25% less energy than gasoline.
Yeah, ethanol production is a net energy loss.

Meanwhile, I put bog-standard 87 octane with 10% corn juice in my Honda self-propelled mower. I never drain the tank for the winter. I put an ounce of fuel system cleaner in the tank, and it fired up on the second pull Sunday. :biggrin:
> Meanwhile, I put bog-standard 87 octane with 10% corn juice in my Honda self-propelled mower. I never drain the tank for the winter. I put an ounce of fuel system cleaner in the tank, and it fired up on the second pull Sunday.

It will be fine until it's not. Could be okay forever if everything is sealed well (gas cans and fuel tanks), or if you don't have super high humidity.

Almost all of my engineer friends also use pure gasoline in their small engines. Those that don't tend to come by and ask me for advice about getting their engines to start. :) One did so just last week when his riding mower would not start after leaving ethanol gas in it all winter.

87 octane is fine; it's the corn juice that can be a problem. There is some good advice here for those that want to use cheaper ethanol fuels...

> Meanwhile, I put bog-standard 87 octane with 10% corn juice in my Honda self-propelled mower. I never drain the tank for the winter. I put an ounce of fuel system cleaner in the tank, and it fired up on the second pull Sunday.

It will be fine until it's not. Could be okay forever if everything is sealed well (gas cans and fuel tanks), or if you don't have super high humidity.

Almost all of my engineer friends also use pure gasoline in their small engines. Those that don't tend to come by and ask me for advice about getting their engines to start. :) One did so just last week when his riding mower would not start after leaving ethanol gas in it all winter.

87 octane is fine; it's the corn juice that can be a problem. There is some good advice here for those that want to use cheaper ethanol fuels...

I have been storing engines for months with E10 gas for decades with no issues. The sky is NOT falling. I just use Sta-Bil.

I have been storing engines for months with E10 gas for decades with no issues. The sky is NOT falling. I just use Sta-Bil.
Yep, it works for me as well. I don't ever leave gas in a two cycle but straight E-10 with sta-bil is what I do too.

Great for you.

I have explained the potential problem, and posted details from the Toro website. I had your experience until I did not. Fortunately, a $15 new carb and fuel system drain fixed my problem.

YMMV. It doesn't affect everyone, all small engines, or all environments. Best of luck.

I could give you one thousand links to problems caused by ethanol gas. Try DuckDuckgo'ing before completely dismissing something you have undoubtedly heard about before.

I have heard about it...the ethanol problems are caused by a combination of improper storage and shoddy products.
There is probably a lot of Truth to that. My father-in-law leaves E10 in his mowers all winter. They never start in Spring, despite telling him not to do that. He's old and doesn't really care how long his grass gets, LOL. He has switched to mainly electrical tools for hand-held things, since they always start for him. :)

Coincidentally, today, another engineer friend stopped by to discuss various things, including brag that he mowed for the first time yesterday, and his mower started on the first pull. He said, "I do drain my gas at the end of the season, and I use real gas." I LOL'd, and told him I do the same. We both have Honda engines in our mowers. He said he switched to real gasoline after he couldn't fix his surging problem. He said that when he took it to the repair guy and started it, the repair guy said, "I know what your problem is. You use regular gas."

Just another data point. YMMV. Lots of people have no problems whatsoever. I had trouble with a chainsaw and leaf blower in the past. Never used E10 again, and never had a starting problem again (knock on wood).

Interestingly, Honda says go ahead and use E10 gas in their engines, but it can cause problems, including "clog filters or pass through and leave deposits on fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, carburetor jets, intake tracts, valves, and valve guides. "

Their main guidance is to see the specific fuel recommendations in the owner's manual, since the recommendations vary by engine...

Regards,
Jim

I have heard about it...the ethanol problems are caused by a combination of improper storage and shoddy products.
There is probably a lot of Truth to that. My father-in-law leaves E10 in his mowers all winter. They never start in Spring, despite telling him not to do that. He's old and doesn't really care how long his grass gets, LOL. He has switched to mainly electrical tools for hand-held things, since they always start for him. :)

Coincidentally, today, another engineer friend stopped by to discuss various things, including brag that he mowed for the first time yesterday, and his mower started on the first pull. He said, "I do drain my gas at the end of the season, and I use real gas." I LOL'd, and told him I do the same. We both have Honda engines in our mowers. He said he switched to real gasoline after he couldn't fix his surging problem. He said that when he took it to the repair guy and started it, the repair guy said, "I know what your problem is. You use regular gas."

Just another data point. YMMV. Lots of people have no problems whatsoever. I had trouble with a chainsaw and leaf blower in the past. Never used E10 again, and never had a starting problem again (knock on wood).

Interestingly, Honda says go ahead and use E10 gas in their engines, but it can cause problems, including "clog filters or pass through and leave deposits on fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, carburetor jets, intake tracts, valves, and valve guides. "

Their main guidance is to see the specific fuel recommendations in the owner's manual, since the recommendations vary by engine...

Regards,
Jim
Tbose mowers should be recalled.

Regards,
Jim
> Tbose mowers should be recalled.

Gosh, that is funny. Honda engines are exceptional. What brand is yours? Model too, if you want to share.

Regards,
Jim

Gosh, that is funny. Honda engines are exceptional. What brand is yours? Model too, if you want to share.
Mid-80s Craftsman with a Briggs and Stratton. 20 years of operation on nothing but e10.

Regards,
Jim

Mid-80s Craftsman with a Briggs and Stratton. 20 years of operation on nothing but e10.
>Mid-80s Craftsman with a Briggs and Stratton. 20 years of operation on nothing but e10.

Thanks; that's an old mower! I had a Craftsman mower. My deck rusted out after <10 years. Mower still ran though.

My chainsaw that had E10 problems was a Craftsman, but it was probably? made in China about 2000.

To be clear, my Honda mower starts first pull every time. There is no priming, nor any choke to adjust (auto choke). Pull, then mow. Not that I mind priming and manual choke, but it's really amazing how easily it always starts without fail and has absolutely no vibration while running. I would never use E10 in it with our humidity. It's about five years old I think. Best mower I've ever had. Definitely no need for a recall. :)

E10 was only 1% of US supply in 2000, and 10% in 2011. Its introduction correlates well with when everyone started having carb problems. :)

Too bad gasoline and petroleum are non renewable and are past the peak, there will not be enough adequate fuel in the not far away future.
We've been hearing that for 40 years.

Too bad gasoline and petroleum are non renewable and are past the peak, there will not be enough adequate fuel in the not far away future.
And we might have another 40 years of gas and oil left, but that has to be about it.
Then we have about 400 years of coal, from which we can make gas and oil.
But they keep telling us fusion is just around the corner, but never happens.

And we might have another 40 years of gas and oil left, but that has to be about it.
"...that has to be about it."

Why?

Why?
>> we might have another 40 years of gas and oil left, but that has to be about it.
> Why?

It's a good question. I felt like checking...

" By 2009, 66 000 km³ (16,000 cu. mi.) (or 8%) had been used out of the total 850 000 km³ (200,000 cu. mi.) of estimated remaining recoverable reserves of natural gas.[19] Based on an estimated 2015 world consumption rate of about 3400 km³ (815 cu. mi.) of gas per year, the total estimated remaining economically recoverable reserves of natural gas would last 250 years at current consumption rates. An annual increase in usage of 2–3% could result in currently recoverable reserves lasting significantly less, perhaps as few as 80 to 100 years "

For oil...

" Due to its high energy density, easy transportability and relative abundance, oil has become the world's most important source of energy since the mid-1950s. Petroleum is also the raw material for many chemical products, including pharmaceuticals, solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, and plastics; the 16 percent not used for energy production is converted into these other materials. Petroleum is found in porous rock formations in the upper strata of some areas of the Earth's crust. There is also petroleum in oil sands (tar sands). Known oil reserves are typically estimated at around 190 km3 (1.2 trillion (short scale) barrels) without oil sands,[63] or 595 km3 (3.74 trillion barrels) with oil sands. Consumption is currently around 84 million barrels (13.4×106 m3) per day, or 4.9 km3 per year, yielding a remaining oil supply of only about 120 years, if current demand remains static.[65] More recent studies, however, put the number at around 50 years."

And as the price increases over time, the amount of economically-recoverable gas or other natural commodity naturally increases, so these are likely low estimates. Decades from now, technology will be dramatically improved as well. The supply of gas and oil is basically limitless. We will have fusion or something great figured out before fossil fuels are depleted.

Why?
>> we might have another 40 years of gas and oil left, but that has to be about it.
> Why?

It's a good question. I felt like checking...

" By 2009, 66 000 km³ (16,000 cu. mi.) (or 8%) had been used out of the total 850 000 km³ (200,000 cu. mi.) of estimated remaining recoverable reserves of natural gas.[19] Based on an estimated 2015 world consumption rate of about 3400 km³ (815 cu. mi.) of gas per year, the total estimated remaining economically recoverable reserves of natural gas would last 250 years at current consumption rates. An annual increase in usage of 2–3% could result in currently recoverable reserves lasting significantly less, perhaps as few as 80 to 100 years "

For oil...

" Due to its high energy density, easy transportability and relative abundance, oil has become the world's most important source of energy since the mid-1950s. Petroleum is also the raw material for many chemical products, including pharmaceuticals, solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, and plastics; the 16 percent not used for energy production is converted into these other materials. Petroleum is found in porous rock formations in the upper strata of some areas of the Earth's crust. There is also petroleum in oil sands (tar sands). Known oil reserves are typically estimated at around 190 km3 (1.2 trillion (short scale) barrels) without oil sands,[63] or 595 km3 (3.74 trillion barrels) with oil sands. Consumption is currently around 84 million barrels (13.4×106 m3) per day, or 4.9 km3 per year, yielding a remaining oil supply of only about 120 years, if current demand remains static.[65] More recent studies, however, put the number at around 50 years."

And as the price increases over time, the amount of economically-recoverable gas or other natural commodity naturally increases, so these are likely low estimates. Decades from now, technology will be dramatically improved as well. The supply of gas and oil is basically limitless. We will have fusion or something great figured out before fossil fuels are depleted.
This Nuclear Reactor Just Made Fusion Viable by 2030. Seriously.

:yes_text12:

Forum List

Back