Can A Republican Tell Me When Trickle Down Economics Worked?

Easy....
Thats how the economy works.
Someone invests and risks their money to start a business and hires those who dont have the money to do the same thus giving those people jobs.
It ain't rocket science.

As the saying goes...Have you ever been hired by a poor person?
and this is what they give you for an hours work.

View attachment 467430
They get richer and they keep you in poverty.

You must suck at what you do.
Every company I've ever worked for gave substantial raises to those who made money for the company in good times.
Unlike union workers who dont get raises based on performance but rather based on seniority,which of course is a joke.

Easy....
Someone invests and risks their money to start a business and hires those who dont have the money to do the same thus giving those people jobs.
It ain't rocket science.

Trickle down economics is mainly the idea that tax cuts for the wealthy translate directly into them having more money to pay their workers.

Tax cuts allow those companies to expand necessitating the hiring of more employees.
Tax cuts allow all sorts of things that may or may not produce a stimulative effect on the economy. A company can just as easily buy back stock or buy more automation, neither of which does anything good for the economy.

Easy....
It ain't rocket science.

But that didn't happen.

“During the post-World War II decades, for both blue-collar and white-collar workers, the norm in large, established U.S. business corporations was career employment with one company. When layoffs occurred, they tended to be temporary and, in unionized workplaces, on a last-hired, first-fired basis. Supported by a highly progressive income tax system, countercyclical government fiscal policy sought to reduce the severity of business fluctuations, while employment generated by ongoing government spending, particularly on higher education, healthcare, advanced technology, and physical infrastructure (for example, the interstate highway system), complemented the employment opportunities provided by the business sector. The result was relatively equitable and stable economic growth from the late 1940s to the beginning of the 1970s.”

"Since the beginning of the 1980s, employment relations in U.S. industrial corporations have undergone three major structural changes—which I summarize as rationalization, marketization, and globalization—that have permanently eliminated middle-class jobs.2 From the early 1980s, rationalization, characterized by plant closings, eliminated the jobs of unionized blue-collar workers. From the early 1990s, marketization, characterized by the end of a career with one company as an employment norm, placed the job security of middle-aged and older white-collar workers in jeopardy. From the early 2000s, globalization, characterized by the movement of employment offshore, left all members of the U.S. labor force, even those with advanced educational credentials and substantial work experience, vulnerable to displacement."

“Over the course of the 1980s, the stock market came to react favorably to permanent downsizings of the blue-collar labor force. As secure middle-class jobs for high-school educated blue-collar workers permanently disappeared, there was no commitment on the part of those who managed U.S. industrial corporations, or the Republican administrations that ruled in the 1980s, to invest in the new capabilities and opportunities required to upgrade the quality, and expand the quantity, of well-paid employment opportunities in the United States on a scale sufficient to reestablish conditions of prosperity for displaced members of the labor force.”

"Once U.S. corporations adopted these structural changes in employment, however, they often pursued these employment strategies purely for financial gain. Some companies closed manufacturing plants, terminated experienced (and generally more expensive) workers, and offshored production to low-wage areas of the world simply to increase profits, often at the expense of the companies’ long-term competitive capabilities and without regard for displaced employees’ long years of service. Moreover, as these changes became embedded in the structure of U.S. employment, business corporations failed to invest in new, higher value-added job creation on a sufficient scale to provide a foundation for equitable and stable growth in the U.S. economy.”

“On the contrary, with superior corporate performance defined as meeting Wall Street’s expectations for quarterly earnings per share, companies turned to massive stock repurchases to “manage” their own corporations’ stock prices. Trillions of dollars that could have been spent on innovation and job creation in the U.S. economy over the past three decades have instead been used to buy back stock for the purpose of manipulating the company’s stock price. This financialized mode of corporate resource allocation has been legitimized by the ideology, itself a product of the 1980s and 1990s, that a business corporation should be run to “maximize shareholder value.”5 Through their stock-based compensation, corporate executives who make these decisions are themselves prime beneficiaries of this focus on rising stock prices as the measure of corporate performance."

William Lazonick, The Financialization of the U.S. Corporation: What Has Been Lost, and How It Can Be Regained, 36 SEATTLE U. L. REV. 857 (2013). The Financialization of the U.S. Corporation: What Has Been Lost, and How It Can Be Regained (seattleu.edu)

Nice copy and paste.
And what a surprise,it comes from a yankee state that supports unions.
I live in a right to work state and relied on my skills to move up and it worked so well I was able to retire at 46. Of course I also invested my money like anyone with a modicum of intelligence would do to make my early retirement possible.

Reagan started it. He set record deficits.

G.W. Bush tried it. He set new records for deficits.

Trump tried it again. He set new records for deficits.

Jobs have never been created due to tax cuts for the rich.
Not a republican...

You can create jobs while "setting new records for deficits." Your argument is just flat out a bad one. Not saying you are wrong, I am saying it's just not a good argument. All you did there was say "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about"
Actually I do know what I am talking about and trickle down did not trickle down. Unless you lived outside of the country.
That's not the argument you made. There is zero point to adding deficits into that argument. I mean no disrespect, but that was just... Wrong.

In my case I mean all the disrespect I can deliver to the neerdowell asshole I can imply.

Easy....
It ain't rocket science.

Yes I have been hired by a poor person. Money was great!
You do know that trickle down economics is how you get peons?

So what did the dude living under the overpass pay you?

Lawrence, K., & Keleher, T. (2004). Chronic Disparity: Strong and Pervasive Evidence of Racial Inequalities. Retrieved 2020, from https://www.racialequitytools.org/resourcefiles/Definitions-of Racism.pdf

Linette Lopez, The White House is only telling you half of the sad story of what happened to American jobs, Business Insider, Jul 25, 2017, https://www.businessinsider.com/what-happened-to-american-jobs-in-the-80s-2017-

William Lazonick, The Financialization of the U.S. Corporation: What Has Been Lost, and How It Can Be Regained, 36 SEATTLE U. L. REV. 857 (2013). The Financialization of the U.S. Corporation: What Has Been Lost, and How It Can Be Regained (seattleu.edu) https://digitalcommons.law.seattleu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2158&amp=&context=sulr&amp=&sei-redir=1&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.com%2Fscholar%3Fhl%3Den%26as_sdt%3D0%252C44%26q%3Dwilliam%2Blazonick%2B2013%2Bthe%2Bfinancialization%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bu.s.%2Bcorporation%26btnG%3D

Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs, Welfare Statistics: Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Than.., original source, Time Magazine, Vol. 152 No. 19

Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele, Corporate Welfare: Corporate Welfare, Time Magazine, Vol. 152 No. 19, Nov. 09, 1998, Corporate Welfare: Corporate Welfare

Stephen Slivinski, The Corporate Welfare State:How the Federal Government Subsidizes U.S. Businesses, Policy Analysis, No. 592, May 14, 2007, https://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa592.pdf

Robert Reich, The Corporate Welfare During Covid-19 Pandemic Is Morally Repugnant, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, Opinion | The Corporate Welfare During Covid-19 Pandemic Is Morally Repugnant

Rob Borrow, Welfare Inequality: The Rise of Corporate Welfare, October 9, 2020, Welfare Inequality: The Rise of Corporate Welfare

What do deficits have to do with low taxes generating wealth and jobs in the private market?

Easy....
It ain't rocket science.

Trickle down economics is mainly the idea that tax cuts for the wealthy translate directly into them having more money to pay their workers.

Tax cuts allow those companies to expand necessitating the hiring of more employees.
Tax cuts allow all sorts of things that may or may not produce a stimulative effect on the economy. A company can just as easily buy back stock or buy more automation, neither of which does anything good for the economy.

Are you implying that companies have no interest in growth in order to make more money?

Lawrence, K., & Keleher, T. (2004). Chronic Disparity: Strong and Pervasive Evidence of Racial Inequalities. Retrieved 2020, from https://www.racialequitytools.org/resourcefiles/Definitions-of Racism.pdf

Linette Lopez, The White House is only telling you half of the sad story of what happened to American jobs, Business Insider, Jul 25, 2017, https://www.businessinsider.com/what-happened-to-american-jobs-in-the-80s-2017-

William Lazonick, The Financialization of the U.S. Corporation: What Has Been Lost, and How It Can Be Regained, 36 SEATTLE U. L. REV. 857 (2013). The Financialization of the U.S. Corporation: What Has Been Lost, and How It Can Be Regained (seattleu.edu) https://digitalcommons.law.seattleu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2158&amp=&context=sulr&amp=&sei-redir=1&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.com%2Fscholar%3Fhl%3Den%26as_sdt%3D0%252C44%26q%3Dwilliam%2Blazonick%2B2013%2Bthe%2Bfinancialization%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bu.s.%2Bcorporation%26btnG%3D

Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs, Welfare Statistics: Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Than.., original source, Time Magazine, Vol. 152 No. 19

Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele, Corporate Welfare: Corporate Welfare, Time Magazine, Vol. 152 No. 19, Nov. 09, 1998, Corporate Welfare: Corporate Welfare

Stephen Slivinski, The Corporate Welfare State:How the Federal Government Subsidizes U.S. Businesses, Policy Analysis, No. 592, May 14, 2007, https://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa592.pdf

Robert Reich, The Corporate Welfare During Covid-19 Pandemic Is Morally Repugnant, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, Opinion | The Corporate Welfare During Covid-19 Pandemic Is Morally Repugnant

Rob Borrow, Welfare Inequality: The Rise of Corporate Welfare, October 9, 2020, Welfare Inequality: The Rise of Corporate Welfare

An even more important question for you: when have exorbitant tax rates ever generated more economic growth and more revenue than low tax rates? :cool:

Easy....
It ain't rocket science.

Are you implying that companies have no interest in growth in order to make more money?
They all want growth but increases in productivity and profitability are increasingly less dependent on labor. There's just not any sort of clear correlation between tax cuts and more jobs/higher wages when appeasing shareholders, executive pay, automation and outsourcing are in the equation.

Actually I do know what I am talking about and trickle down did not trickle down. Unless you lived outside of the country.

So you think that higher taxes necessarily generate higher revenues, do you?

We have to kiss the rich man's ass.If you feed a horse enough oats it will pass then the sparrow gets to eat.

Easy....
It ain't rocket science.

They all want growth but increases in productivity and profitability are increasingly less dependent on labor. There's just not any sort of clear correlation between tax cuts and more jobs/higher wages when appeasing shareholders, executive pay, automation and outsourcing are in the equation.

So how do you explain the uptick of jobs in the blue collar sector and the increase of wages?

Easy....
It ain't rocket science.

View attachment 467430
If you only earn $7.25/hour you're a fucking loser. You should be grateful that we let you survive. You are of no benefit to society. You're a charity case.

Not a republican...

You can create jobs while "setting new records for deficits." Your argument is just flat out a bad one. Not saying you are wrong, I am saying it's just not a good argument. All you did there was say "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about"

Simply calling it 'trickle down' economics proves you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Write 100 times, "The federal government is NOT the US economy "

Great response is great

Easy....
It ain't rocket science.

View attachment 467430

There's only ONE person 'keeping you in poverty.' And it's NOT your employer...

Forum List

Back