California chef won't serve customers wearing MAGA hats

so no shirt and shoes is a health issue, so every business has that option.

I doubt it; I think it's just a tradition, to keep eating places a little more uptown. Like those signs on country bars: NO COLORS. People can get away with a lot of stupid rules they invent---cutting people's ties off, and so on, like a restaurant I once went to in Phoenix. Until they can't anymore. Because people start objecting.

Come to think of it, MAGA hats might be something like wearing gang colors in a bar...…...the argument could be made, maybe.

I said that he thinks he can, yes.

Okay. Apparently his staff and partner have weighed in and now he's not at all sure he can, at least if he wants to keep the restaurant open.

The question I have is, is this legal? Apparently not if it's a black. Maybe not if it's a campy homosexual or weird tranny --- not clear. Can he ban people who come in without shirt or shoes? It's a long-standing convention, but it probably has never been tested in law (because it would be silly). So.....what about a hat? What about a hat with a political slogan? Does anyone know whether you can just ban someone from your place of business pour les beaux yeux, as the French say---for his blue eyes? If I wear my pink TRUMP 2020 hat, can people throw me out with impunity or can I sue them? This is suddenly a big issue in our society, and I don't think we know the answer!

Wouldn't it be more to the point for government to issue a list of valid reasons for discriminating?

I doubt it; I think it's just a tradition, to keep eating places a little more uptown. Like those signs on country bars: NO COLORS. People can get away with a lot of stupid rules they invent---cutting people's ties off, and so on, like a restaurant I once went to in Phoenix. Until they can't anymore. Because people start objecting.

Come to think of it, MAGA hats might be something like wearing gang colors in a bar...…...the argument could be made, maybe.
what's the gang and do they walk around with guns in black communities?

Okay. Apparently his staff and partner have weighed in and now he's not at all sure he can, at least if he wants to keep the restaurant open.

The question I have is, is this legal? Apparently not if it's a black. Maybe not if it's a campy homosexual or weird tranny --- not clear. Can he ban people who come in without shirt or shoes? It's a long-standing convention, but it probably has never been tested in law (because it would be silly). So.....what about a hat? What about a hat with a political slogan? Does anyone know whether you can just ban someone from your place of business pour les beaux yeux, as the French say---for his blue eyes? If I wear my pink TRUMP 2020 hat, can people throw me out with impunity or can I sue them? This is suddenly a big issue in our society, and I don't think we know the answer!

Wouldn't it be more to the point for government to issue a list of valid reasons for discriminating?
I think government should stay out of other private business practices.

I think government should stay out of other private business practices.

Other?

what's the gang and do they walk around with guns in black communities?

God knows. It took me years to figure out what the signs meant, but they are common here in Maryland. I think it's motorcycle gangs.

51248290_2093615460676139_3377732134646054912_n.jpg
Those two issues aren't the same....and again he lies, they didn't refuse to sell gays a cake......learn the facts first

Your idea of "freedom" is certainly fair for some. History has shown that.
History hasn't. I agree.

Can you make that argument today?

Have you lost that much faith in the average Joe that you believe a black guy can't get a hotel room or a gay couple can't get a wedding cake?

Is it really that important to teach those bigots a lesson by force, at the expense of liberty?

Liberty is the path forward.

I fight for the liberty of those with whom I disagree.

I find very few redeeming qualities of the New Black Panthers, but when they march carrying rifles, I will grab my rifle and march with them for their right to do so. We will never agree on much, but at least they can see my respect for their rights.

People are more likely to be united through mutual and reciprocal support of rights. Don't you agree? That is the REAL cure for bigotry.

That may well be true, but... the swastica (once a symbol of fertility) has come stand for the holocaust, and the hood stands for thousands of murders and decades of state-sanctioned terror of tens of millions. Objectively, MAGA stands for nothing of that magnitude. That may still come, but they aren't there yet. In a way, I find the owner's attempt at throwing them all into one category is belittling the other two symbols. And all, I suspect, to enhance his name recognition.

I do understand: That hat serves no purpose other than poking a thumb into every liberal's eye - which has to count as the main, if not the only, source of fun for MAGA hatters and similarly imbecilic crackpots. Overreaction to same I still find ill-advised.

So what do you suppose would have happened if somebody seven years ago walked into a restaurant with a shirt that said Hope and Change, and was then refused service?

Hope and change doesn't represent hate, MAGA does.

Of course it represents hate; hate of our country.

If you married a short brunette, and told her you wanted her to die her hair blonde, change her makeup, wear shoes that made her look taller, did you really love that woman at all? Of course not. You don't change things you love, you only change things you hate like Obama did of our country.

Yes, MAGA represents hate of the United States.

"MAGA" stands for "Make America Great Again", how does that add up to "hate" of America?

And the corollaries to the theory are "Make Honduras Great Again" "Make North Korea Great Again" "Make Congo Great Again".

Let's everyone make their countries great again

Making America great again is about paying American workers a living wage.

You're being stupid. If the law stated that you can't discriminate against someone because of their political belief you'd be correct.

Hold on. What if I wear the hat because I just like the saying and I am not political? When I was in High School a kid wore a black and silver LA Kings jersey and he didn’t like hockey or the kings just the color and the symbol.

I have zero issues with this but sometimes a picture is not what it seems.

Because of those that wear MAGA hats, the symbol has become the same as the KKK, a symbol of hate.

And gee......who made it a symbol of hate?

You and yours.

Nope the sissy lefties did. Sadly.

The guy that hires/d illegals and mostly foreign workers is the main actor behind the MAGA force.

So what do you suppose would have happened if somebody seven years ago walked into a restaurant with a shirt that said Hope and Change, and was then refused service?

If you married a short brunette, and told her you wanted her to die her hair blonde, change her makeup, wear shoes that made her look taller, did you really love that woman at all? Of course not. You don't change things you love, you only change things you hate like Obama did of our country.

"MAGA" stands for "Make America Great Again", how does that add up to "hate" of America?

And the corollaries to the theory are "Make Honduras Great Again" "Make North Korea Great Again" "Make Congo Great Again".

And wages have been soaring under President Trump.

I think it would be marvelouse to see this restaurant filled with people with MAGA hats and not moving. Nice time for a "Sit In" Don't ya think?

That may well be true, but... the swastica (once a symbol of fertility) has come stand for the holocaust, and the hood stands for thousands of murders and decades of state-sanctioned terror of tens of millions. Objectively, MAGA stands for nothing of that magnitude. That may still come, but they aren't there yet. In a way, I find the owner's attempt at throwing them all into one category is belittling the other two symbols. And all, I suspect, to enhance his name recognition.

I do understand: That hat serves no purpose other than poking a thumb into every liberal's eye - which has to count as the main, if not the only, source of fun for MAGA hatters and similarly imbecilic crackpots. Overreaction to same I still find ill-advised.

Only the uneducated make such claims.

The intelligent people know better

I've earned and MBA, what about you?

Sure, because when you hate something you make it great again. It is to laugh.

The way you make a country great is promoting all of it's citizenry. The great orange lizard with the red hat is doing no such thing.

Well let me tell you something pal: If what Trump is doing is hate, I hope we're the most hated country on the globe.

To what end?

Sure, because when you hate something you make it great again. It is to laugh.

The way you make a country great is promoting all of it's citizenry. The great orange lizard with the red hat is doing no such thing.
Calling the president a "great orange lizard" is certainly promoting the entire citizenry, now isn't it?

The Americans that are worth a living wage get paid a living wage. The ones that are not are not paid a living wage.

Forum List

Back