Cain tied for 1ST in new CBS Poll

Not getting the Cain thing. Oh well, as long as the GOP ends the Obama error I'm ALL in!

Not getting the Cain thing. Oh well, as long as the GOP ends the Obama error I'm ALL in!
That sort of thinking is how we got 8 years of Bush and at least 4 years of Obama.

Look at all the candidates records and just make an informed decision. Don't let some poll do your thinking for you. Don't be that guy. Don't be that guy.

cain-rand-face.jpg

You realize CBS could run a poll showing George HW Bush as frontrunner if they wanted, right? You are being manipulated by the media that is trying to inject some excitement into what will be a dull race. Romney and Perry will duke it out. Perry will win. Perry will beat Obama.
But that won't sell newspapers so they have to make it look closer. Remember when the media was calling John Edwards a front runner?
Candidates Unite in Criticizing Bush

Read it and weep to all the haters who say Cain has no chance!

It has nothing to do with ‘hate,’ merely being in contact with reality.

And polls this far out are meaningless.

Last, if one didn’t know better, he’d think Cain’s ‘success’ was the result of a devious democratic conspiracy, because Cain is exactly who Obama would love to run against next year.

We got light years politically to go before things get serious.Cain v Obamma would be real interesting,it would tie the racists on every side into a tiz.

Read it and weep to all the haters who say Cain has no chance!

It has nothing to do with ‘hate,’ merely being in contact with reality.

And polls this far out are meaningless.

Last, if one didn’t know better, he’d think Cain’s ‘success’ was the result of a devious democratic conspiracy, because Cain is exactly who Obama would love to run against next year.

That's true. The liberal media's only tolerating a black who agrees with them on every issue. Democrats know they'll mercilessly attack any black who actually thinks for themselves. Sadly all the black liberals, including those of you who are black and the one pretending to be on this site will go along with it because to them liberal trumps their being black and they will support white liberals over a black conservative for that reason.

I like Cain as a person (although not thrilled with the way he tried to insert himself in the "Rock Gate" crisis and then walked it back). My concern with him is that as someone who survived Colon and Liver cancer, (my mother died of that, so good for him he survived) is he really the best pick for the most stressful job in the world.

Cain's rise simply reflect's Perry's decline as the "Not Effin' Romney" vote of the GOP balances itself out. But eventually, it will still be Perry vs. Romney, because Perry's got the money to wage a sustained campaign. Cain doesn't, Bachmann is broke, and Gingrich is just waiting for the checks to clear from the Matching Funds.

That's one poll. Romney still leads. Cain is pretty much tied with Perry now.

That said, perhaps someone who claims robe serious about running for president, shouldn't take two weeks off the campaign trail to sell his book.

Well, unless the point of running is to sell the book.

Why shouldn't he? THere are no debates or primaries in the next two weeks. This is as good a way to introduce himself to people as anything else.

For Romney, he's at the place he's always been. about 25% of the GOP want him. The same 25% that wanted him in 2008, but got beaten out when teh "Not Romney" vote coalesed around McCain.

This is really, really entertaining. Is there a thread on these forums where folks making predictions can go on the record in a defined place......so we can all make fun of them when they are proven completely wrong?

That's one poll. Romney still leads. Cain is pretty much tied with Perry now.

That said, perhaps someone who claims robe serious about running for president, shouldn't take two weeks off the campaign trail to sell his book.

Well, unless the point of running is to sell the book.

Why shouldn't he? THere are no debates or primaries in the next two weeks. This is as good a way to introduce himself to people as anything else.

For Romney, he's at the place he's always been. about 25% of the GOP want him. The same 25% that wanted him in 2008, but got beaten out when teh "Not Romney" vote coalesed around McCain.

you've never worked on a campaign, have you? he shouldn't because his competition will be working. that's why.

the same religious loons who hate mormons will vote against romney.

cain doesn't have broad appeal as far as i can see. he's also a bigot. people tend not to like bigots... well, except for other bigots.

if perry can get bac some of his flash, he could give mitt a run for his money. but i think cain's maxed out.

could i be wrong? sure. this time last presidential election cycle i would have sworn hillary was going to be the democratic nominee.

but at least i'm thinking and not engaging in wishful thinking.

you've never worked on a campaign, have you? he shouldn't because his competition will be working. that's why.
Actually, I've worked on several. Reagan both times, GW Bush both times, a bunch of lesser actors....

the same religious loons who hate mormons will vote against romney.

Actually, I'm an atheist who won't vote for a Mormon. Ever. More to the point, Romney needs these "religious loons" to win. The Evangelicals are a key component of the GOP Coalition.

cain doesn't have broad appeal as far as i can see. he's also a bigot. people tend not to like bigots... well, except for other bigots.

I think Cain's appeal is that he's raw. He's not scripted, he's not checking with a focus group, he's just saying whatever the hell he feels like, and that resonates with people. Will it have legs? I doubt it. Does anyone care that he doesn't like Muslims? Not really.

if perry can get bac some of his flash, he could give mitt a run for his money. but i think cain's maxed out.

could i be wrong? sure. this time last presidential election cycle i would have sworn hillary was going to be the democratic nominee.

but at least i'm thinking and not engaging in wishful thinking.

I think Perry is formidable because he can raise money, and lots of people in the GOP don't like Romney for lots of good reasons. But the GOP establishment seems to be determined to force Romney down out throats, whether we want him or not.

Overall, though. It's too early. Like you said, you never know how these things are going to play out. Polls in 2007 about this time had a Rudy vs. Hillary fight, and that didn't happen.

Actually, I've worked on several. Reagan both times, GW Bush both times, a bunch of lesser actors....

then you should know that this isn't the time for the candidate to slack. (i worked on Hart in 87... and a lot of local races).

Actually, I'm an atheist who won't vote for a Mormon. Ever. More to the point, Romney needs these "religious loons" to win. The Evangelicals are a key component of the GOP Coalition.

i don't see anything in romney's history to indicate he would try to impose his beliefs on this country... unlike perry, bachmann... santorum, etc

people seeking the GOP nomination think they need religious loons to win. they don't... they should stop pandering to them.they will vote for whatever candidate the GOP puts up.

I think Cain's appeal is that he's raw. He's not scripted, he's not checking with a focus group, he's just saying whatever the hell he feels like, and that resonates with people. Will it have legs? I doubt it. Does anyone care that he doesn't like Muslims? Not really.

to me, raw means he's inexperienced and doesn't know anything yet.
i think a good part of the right likes him for the same reason they like clarence thomas... he's a black guy who spouts the party line of white corporatists.

I think Perry is formidable because he can raise money, and lots of people in the GOP don't like Romney for lots of good reasons. But the GOP establishment seems to be determined to force Romney down out throats, whether we want him or not.

Overall, though. It's too early. Like you said, you never know how these things are going to play out. Polls in 2007 about this time had a Rudy vs. Hillary fight, and that didn't happen.

perry has a lot of deficits as a candidate that seem to become clearer as people get to know him.

i don't think it's so much that they want to ram Mitt down your throats. its that they know he's the one whose polls show he could actually beat obama. last i heard, the GOP wasn't in the business of choosing candidates who can't attract a broad spectrum of voters.

Last edited:

You realize CBS could run a poll showing George HW Bush as frontrunner if they wanted, right? You are being manipulated by the media that is trying to inject some excitement into what will be a dull race. Romney and Perry will duke it out. Perry will win. Perry will beat Obama.
But that won't sell newspapers so they have to make it look closer. Remember when the media was calling John Edwards a front runner?

I hope your right, but I doubt it...about Perry winning that is.

I hope your right, but I doubt it...about Perry winning that is.

People focus on what is right in front of them or right behind them. Currently it is the debates. I really don't care if the president knows how to debate. That isn't really part of his job. There was very high expectation on Perry and he did OK but just OK.
The effect of the debates will decrease with time and the next spin cycle. The media is in a constant drumbeat of abuse for Perry, that will probably come back and haunt them. Today I saw an article on "Other Hunting Buddies of Rick Perry". The thrust of the article was, get this, that Perry had been hunting once with Ted Nugent. And Ted say "******" a lot. So therefore we have to conclude that Ted is a racist and so is Perry.
If that isn't the dumbest "reporting" i've seen in a long time I don't know what.
The truth is that Perry is an excellent speaker with terrific ideas that buck right wing orthodoxy in some cases. I wouldn't count him out yet.

then you should know that this isn't the time for the candidate to slack. (i worked on Hart in 87... and a lot of local races).

Can't see the book tour as "slacking off". Cain's job at this point is to expand beyond the Alan Keyes role as the "slightly eccentric black Republican" to serious guy with serious ideas. The book tour does that. JMO.

i don't see anything in romney's history to indicate he would try to impose his beliefs on this country... unlike perry, bachmann... santorum, etc

Actually, looking at how the Mormons operate politically, they always act stealthily. They did this when they essentially hijacked the Boy Scouts of America. They did this in the Prop 8 fight. They are very good at playing politics without leaving fingerprints.

I'm a lot more comfortable with a Perry or Santorum who is upfront about what they believe, even if I disagree with it. (Bachmann, I agree. She's nuts.)

people seeking the GOP nomination think they need religious loons to win. they don't... they should stop pandering to them.they will vote for whatever candidate the GOP puts up.

Quite the contrary. When the religious right has been unenthusiastic about the GOP nominee, he LOSES. Ford lost because Jerry Falwell endorsed Carter. Dole lost because he was contemptuous of the Christian right. McCain did little to endear himself with them until he picked Palin, and a lot of them stayed home.

But Romney would be a hundred times worse because of the antipathy these folks have towards Mormonism.

to me, raw means he's inexperienced and doesn't know anything yet.

You know what, the man has had more personal success than you or I will ever know. Now maybe you can argue that his success in the business arena won't translate well to the political one... but seriously, he's accomplished great things in his life.

i think a good part of the right likes him for the same reason they like clarence thomas... he's a black guy who spouts the party line of white corporatists.

Are you trying to say Obama isn't as much a tool of the Corporatists? Really? Let's get real here, no one is going to get elected without Wall Street's endorsement any more than an Iranian president is going to get elected without the approval of the Ayatollahs...

perry has a lot of deficits as a candidate that seem to become clearer as people get to know him.

The things that have gotten Perry in trouble are not the things that you as a liberal would be upset about (executions, pro-business) but the things that the RIght wing hates and you guys love. Heck, he's giving tuition to illegal alien kids. Libs would normally be praising the hell out of that.

i don't think it's so much that they want to ram Mitt down your throats. its that they know he's the one whose polls show he could actually beat obama. last i heard, the GOP wasn't in the business of choosing candidates who can't attract a broad spectrum of voters.

Actually, as a life-long Republican, I often find my myself amazed on how badly they can f**k it up, to be quite honest. This will be one of those times. I mean, I'm an honest guy, the GOP has lost four out of the last five popular votes, and the one they won was because they literally had all the wind blowing in the right direction.

Romney would be the mother of all screw ups on the part of the establishment.

New Topics

Forum List

Back