Bye-Bye Buybacks

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Free money and buy backs were the only things keeping capital markets open 2009-10. The free money from QE toned way down on the way to reelection in 2012 and is effectively a non-factor now. Buybacks peaked in 1Q of the current year.

With corporate income taxes coming down there is no reason to use buybacks to get untaxed money to shareholders. Just raising the dividend on a regular basis works better until it creates a new version of the nifty-fifty of the late 60s/early 70s.

While buying issues at a discount to book value is my favorite defensive move one big problem is emerging in that part of the market everybody with a lick of sense is jumping into the pool and driving up prices 25-30% just since the election. This is a badness thing.

I have three other fall back positions but I would like to find out the more popular positions so I can avoid them. Financial happiness are returns in the nosebleed range and risks deep in an undisclosed location that can survive a direct hit with a nuke. But there is limited seating in such shelters.

Anyone with a "surefire" moneymaker that they want to brag about?
@ Zander, Toro

Last edited:
]Anyone with a "surefire" moneymaker that they want to brag about?[/QUOTE]

Yes, They are called Covered Calls. Works every time.

Forum List

Back