Bull Ring @Bluzman61 Let's talk Sports.

Thanks! Was I right about Pete Rose?

Yup, Fine Job.
Thanks. I'm off to bed now, I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Hey, Winco, my friend, you're most likely still at work right now. I hope you're having a nice Monday. I thought I'd change gears and switch to a question on the NHL. I would assume you have a decent knowledge of the history of hockey. So, this is a three-part question - Which NHL player was the first to score 50 goals in a season, the first to score 70 in a season, and the first, and ONLY one that I know of, to score 90 goals in a season? I skipped 60 and 80, because the first 70 and 90 season goal scorers in a season also eclipsed those numbers. I would expect you to know at least two of these, if not ALL three. Good luck!

Yup, Fine Job.
Hey, Winco, my friend, you're most likely still at work right now. I hope you're having a nice Monday. I thought I'd change gears and switch to a question on the NHL. I would assume you have a decent knowledge of the history of hockey. So, this is a three-part question - Which NHL player was the first to score 50 goals in a season, the first to score 70 in a season, and the first, and ONLY one that I know of, to score 90 goals in a season? I skipped 60 and 80, because the first 70 and 90 season goal scorers in a season also eclipsed those numbers. I would expect you to know at least two of these, if not ALL three. Good luck!
Sorry, My Knowledge of Hockey Stats and History is limited.
I Know the rules of the game, and love watching it, but living 60 miles from the Canadian Border hasn't helped much.

If I had to guess, I would always guess
Gordy Howe
Eric Lindros
Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Hull.
Sidney Crosby

They probably hold most of the records.
LOL.
I'm at a loss for Hockey Stats.

Yup, Fine Job.
I Know the rules of the game, and love watching it, but living 60 miles from the Canadian Border hasn't helped much.

Gordy Howe
Eric Lindros
Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Hull.
Sidney Crosby

LOL.
Some very good guesses, and thanks for being honest about your knowledge of hockey. I won't ask any more NHL questions. The answers are Maurice "Rocket" Richard of the Canadians who scored exactly 50 goals in a season in the early to mid 1940's. Phil Esposito of the Bruins, who scored an amazing 76 goals in the 1970-71 season. And Wayne Gretzky of the Oilers, who scored an even more amazing 92 goals in a season in the early 1980's. I'll send the ball back to your court, and I'll await another fine question from you.

Last edited:

Yup, Fine Job.

Gordy Howe
Eric Lindros
Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Hull.
Sidney Crosby

LOL.
Some very good guesses, and thanks for being honest about your knowledge of hockey. I won't ask any more NHL questions. The answers are Maurice "Rocket" Richard of the Canadians who scored exactly 50 goals in a season in the early to mid 1940's. Phil Esposito of the Bruins, who scored an amazing 76 goals in the 1970-71 season. And Wayne Gretzky of the Oilers, who scored an even more amazing 92 goals in a season in the early 1980's. I'll send the ball back to your court, and I'll await another fine question from you.
I guess I'LL keep the ball rolling, so to speak. This is a two-part question about MLB players throughout the history of the game. Who is the youngest player to ever play in a MLB game, and who is the oldest to do so? The first question has only one answer as being correct, but the second one IS up for conjecture because the age of one of the two players in the running for this record was never known as a fact. His exact birth date was never known because he himself often changed it! So the second question actually has two possible answers.

Q: What is the origin of the word "Upset"

We all know what an upset is, but why is it called an "upset' rather than some other random word.

Oldest.....Minnie Minosa (spelling might be wrong)
Yep, you got the oldest player correct, and were very close to the correct spelling of Minoso. Nicely done. There ARE some that claim that Leroy "Satchel" Paige pitched in his last game at age 59 or 60. But his exact age has never been substantiated. This is why I believe you're correct in your answer of Minnie Minoso. The youngest player ever was Joe Nuxhall, a guy who first pitched for the Reds at the ripe old age of 15! He WAS close to 16. From what I've read about this, it appeared to be a publicity stunt. Nuxhall disappeared to high school and the minor leagues after this, coming back up to the majors some years later. He was never that great a pitcher, but I've read that he became a decent baseball announcer after his playing days were over. So again, nice work on your Minnie Minoso answer and please take over for the next question.

Q: What is the origin of the word "Upset"

We all know what an upset is, but why is it called an "upset' rather than some other random word.
Good question. I would guess than an "upset" is the upsetting, as it were, to the status quo, and NOT what most people were expecting. So it "upset" the majority of the people interested in that game or competition? Or it could be taken literally, where something that was in a set or part of a set, such as tennis, was "up' ended? I really have NO idea where the term came from, these are obviously just guesses. But an interesting question.

This is a GREAT question that will stump most.

The great horse, Man o' War was defeated ONE time in his entire career.
Defeated by a horse named...…….you guessed it "Upset"

This is a GREAT question that will stump most.

The great horse, Man o' War was defeated ONE time in his entire career.
Defeated by a horse named...…….you guessed it "Upset"
Wow, I THINK I actually have read that somewhere, but it didn't come to mind tonight. Here's a new two-part question for you, again concerning ages of baseball players. Who was the youngest MLB pitcher to win a Cy Young Award, and who was the oldest to do so? I had to look up the answers for this one, although I did guess correctly for the oldest pitcher.

Last edited:
This is easily found with a google search.
So, I won't ask the question, just some info, which you can add too.

Famous Athletes that have a given birth name that is different than what they are known by.

For Example.

Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey Jr, both have the first name George.
There are some good ones out there.
One at a time.

Famous Athletes that have a given birth name that is different than what they are known by.

For Example.

One at a time.
Sorry I was late to this thread today, I was "oot and aboot", as one MAY say in Canada, eh? I had an interesting experience at a local Italian pizzeria/restaurant this evening. I went IN to place a take out order, mostly so I could sit there IN the restaurant because they've lifted their lock down, and have a nice cold beer while I waited for my food. Well, my salad order somehow got botched, they made the wrong salad for me. The cheese ravioli, for my sister, was of course done correctly. So I had to wait another 15-20 minutes for my order. But it wasn't bad because I got to talk with one of the waitresses/servers that works there. She brought me my beer and we chewed the fat, so to speak, while I drank my beer and waited for my food. Well, she ended her shift, and my order still wasn't ready, so I had a chance to look at a whole row of candy and assorted machines they have along one wall. I found a MLB team insignia sticker machine that costs 50 cents a sticker. I had some loose change so I gave it a shot. The team I got was the Arizona D-Backs, my second favorite baseball team after the White Sox! Feeling lucky, I gave the machine another shot, hoping for the White Sox or Cubs, but no dice. I got the Braves this time. BUT my large anti pasto salad was QUITE good. And SO large I could eat only a little over half of it, so I have a snack left over for either tonight or tomorrow. My sister DID have to re-heat her ravioli, but she said it was delicious. So, anyway, the OLDEST Cy Young Award winner was Roger Clemens, at age 42. You came up with a good question, I'll come back to it later. One example of your question I can think of is Babe Ruth, who was born George Herman Ruth, Jr. I THINK this fits your question, I'm not totally sure. I'll be back here in a while, after I get caught up on other threads on here.

For Example.

One at a time.
Are you also considering nicknames, those that are NOT actual real names? This is where I THINK Babe Ruth MAY not qualify as an answer to your question because "Babe" was obviously a nickname. I can't think of any baseball players who used their middle name instead of their first name, off the top of my head. But I'll give it some thought and return here in a bit.

For Example.

One at a time.
I'll give you two. Roy Halladay's first name is/was Harry, and Bo Jackson's first name is Vincent.

For Example.

One at a time.
I'll give you two. Roy Halladay's first name is/was Harry, and Bo Jackson's first name is Vincent.
I have another two-part question for you, again concerning the age of baseball players. Who was the youngest player to win a batting title and who was the oldest to do so? Hint - The youngest happened in the 1950's, the oldest within the last 16 years.

For Example.

One at a time.
I have another two-part question for you, again concerning the age of baseball players. Who was the youngest player to win a batting title and who was the oldest to do so? Hint - The youngest happened in the 1950's, the oldest within the last 16 years.
Hey, Winco, my friend, I noticed you're posting on OTHER threads right now. Would you please care to answer my latest two-part question? Thanks. I WILL be be parting this site very soon, I need to get ready so I can go "oot" and "aboot" again today. I'll be joining my friends at Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner, drink, and trivia playing. I most likely won't be back on here until after 9PM Central Time. So, ciao for now.

Forum List

Back