Biden Pardons Thousands of Recreational Marijuana Users For Christmas

Jim H - VA USA

Plutonium Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 19, 2020
Biden has issued an unconditional pardon to any lawful US residents who were convicted of simple possession of marijuana, attempted simple possession of marijuana, or use of marijuana under DC's controlled substances act.

Interestingly, he did not pardon people who were illegal at the time of their conviction...

Rationale is that the convictions hold people back.

This appears to be another example of Biden trying to play both sides of an issue again (like funding Israel, Iran and Palestine simultaneously).

Earlier this year, under Biden's orders, HHS recommended rescheduling, but keeping marijuana federally illegal for all but medical or research purposes...

The two policies conflict - arbitrary pardons for past offenders while keeping the crime on the books? - Make up your mind; seems to be primarily an attempt to get votes.

Biden has issued an unconditional pardon to any lawful US residents who were convicted of simple possession of marijuana, attempted simple possession of marijuana, or use of marijuana under DC's controlled substances act.

Interestingly, he did not pardon people who were illegal at the time of their conviction...

This appears to be another example of Biden trying to play both sides of an issue again (like funding Israel, Iran and Palestine simultaneously).

Earlier this year, under Biden's orders, HHS recommended rescheduling, but keeping marijuana federally illegal for all but medical or research purposes...

The two policies conflict - arbitrary pardons for past offenders while keeping the crime on the books? - Make up your mind; seems to be primarily an attempt to get votes.
What have the Piglosi democraps been screaming for seven years? NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW. Seems Joe thinks he and the rest of the dopers are.

TSA says:

Marijuana and certain cannabis infused products, including some Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, remain illegal under federal law except for products that contain no more than 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis or that are approved by FDA. (See the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, Pub. L. 115-334.) TSA officers are required to report any suspected violations of law to local, state or federal authorities.

TSA’s screening procedures are focused on security and are designed to detect potential threats to aviation and passengers. Accordingly, TSA security officers do not search for marijuana or other illegal drugs, but if any illegal substance is discovered during security screening, TSA will refer the matter to a law enforcement officer.

I guess they want to keep this so they can pick and choose whom they lock up. MAGA on an airplane - no go, but DC criminal who pea bargained gun possession down to simple marijuana possession - good to go.

It's going to become the national plant. I swould support it. Want people you work hard give them something good in return. The country owes the greatest workforce in the world stress relief.

It's also called buying votes with other people's money. A total waste of time for this ass clown zombie.

There are zero reasons to keep pot illegal. Unless one is against freedom and liberty.
You have a great pint, but there are reasons.

There are children. The FDA says it can create dependency (physical or psychological). It's an intoxicant - increase in car crashes. Probably not really good for people.

Main reason is probably that the fed can't figure out how to legalize it and tax it yet.

I'm surprised Biden didn't go for full legalization - would probably float well with a lot of his base, but it would look bad considering Hunter's issues.

You have a great pint, but there are reasons.

There are children. The FDA says it can create dependency (physical or psychological). It's an intoxicant - increase in car crashes. Probably not really good for people.

Main reason is probably that the fed can't figure out how to legalize it and tax it yet.

I'm surprised Biden didn't go for full legalization - would probably float well with a lot of his base, but it would look bad considering Hunter's issues.
Many states already have

Hell, I’m fine with this…to be honest, in todays political climate..we could stand to have a few more stoned people…might make them chill out…

I say it is by time, marijuana should be legalized in every state. I have known so many friends and family members who have used marijuana in their lifetime including myself. I know so many people who use it for medical reasons. I smoked it to fight depression, PTSD, anxiety, and bipolar disorder that I suffer from; worked great.

Many states already have
My state included, and the disconnect between the state laws and federal law needs addressing.

There probably are examples, but I can't think of another case where a behavior is legal under state law and illegal under federal law.

Powers that are not delegated to the Fed are reserved for the states.

I have tremendous difficulty reconciling the current situation with the Constitution. If it were the other way around - marijuana federally legal, but states could make it illegal, that would make sense. Federal law normally trumps state law.

Can anyone explain that to me?

And it's nonsense for Biden to arbitrarily pardon large numbers of people for a crime he continues to enforce.

My state included, and the disconnect between the state laws and federal law needs addressing.

There probably are examples, but I can't think of another case where a behavior is legal under state law and illegal under federal law.

Powers that are not delegated to the Fed are reserved for the states.

I have tremendous difficulty reconciling the current situation with the Constitution. If it were the other way around - marijuana federally legal, but states could make it illegal, that would make sense. Federal law normally trumps state law.

Can anyone explain that to me?

And it's nonsense for Biden to arbitrarily pardon large numbers of people for a crime he continues to enforce.
In federal jurisdictions (federal buildings, reservations, military bases etc.) even in those states where pot has been legalized, it is illegal. The laws have clauses prohibiting state and local law enforcement from cooperating with the feds. Sanctuary cities have similar clauses re: illegal immigrants.

In federal jurisdictions (federal buildings, reservations, military bases etc.) even in those states where pot has been legalized, it is illegal. The laws have clauses prohibiting state and local law enforcement from cooperating with the feds. Sanctuary cities have similar clauses re: illegal immigrants.
Immigration is a pretty good example, thanks.

Perhaps there is a subtle difference though? Not enforcing federal law is different than making something legal.

In the case of pot - take Virginia for example - pot possession is codified as legal for persons 21 and over in any public place.

Are Sanctuary City statutes similar? Do they explicitly legalize illegal immigrants, or do they simply prohibit law enforcement from cooperating? Perhaps there is no practical difference, but I think the Fed can still arrest illegals in Sanctuary jurisdictions. Could the fed arrest someone on state property for pot possession? I think the answer to the last question is "yes," but Biden has said these laws won't be enforced in states where pot is legal. So it pot REALLY legal in some states?

These are rhetorical questions not necessarily requesting an answer from you, but they cause me confusion. Perhaps I am easily confused.

It's crazy and I am surprised that this conflict between state and federal law has persisted so long.

Regards,
Jim

Are Sanctuary City statutes similar? Do they explicitly legalize illegal immigrants, or do they simply prohibit law enforcement from cooperating? Perhaps there is no practical difference, but I think the Fed can still arrest illegals in Sanctuary jurisdictions. Could the fed arrest someone on state property for pot possession? I think the answer to the last question is "yes," but Biden has said these laws won't be enforced in states where pot is legal. So it pot REALLY legal in some states?
They don't legalize illegal immigrants, but in Spokane, they have attempted to make the bus station off limits to the feds in their immigration sweeps. Not sure, but I don't think the city's wishes held much sway with the feds. As for the feds arresting people on state property---yes, they can, but they have to do so without the aid of state or local authorities and the locals are prohibited from reporting those violations to the feds.

Yep. It's the problem with the moderate liberal wing. They understand progressive policy to be right but are too pussy to implement them with any confidence for fear of republican reaction. Basically the Democratic establishment is full of people like Mac1958.

Last edited:
Yep. It's the problem with the moderate liberal wing. The understand progressive policy to be right but are too pussy to implement them with any confidence for fear of republican reaction. Basically the Drmocratic establishment is full of people like Mac1958.
Minor problem: I've never been a Democrat, nor could I be. Too many disagreements.

I usually vote third party, and have only voted Democrat against the Orange Cult™.

Forum List

Back