Best Educated states vote for liberal blue

Actually, we were saying that our constitutional government demanded that the electoral college be the determining factor in who won the election, not who had a mandate. Show me where anyone said our constitutional government demanded that the electoral college be the determining factor in whether or not someone had a mandate.

You don't remember Dubya claiming he had a mandate?

I don't remember "Dubya" claiming our constitutional government demanded that the electoral college be the determining factor in whether or not he had a mandate. And, that's because he didn't. The electoral college was only the determining factor in whether or not he won.

The fact of the maater is that Dubya DID claim a mandate in 2004...and that claim was made with LESS of a popular vote margin and SIGNIFICANTLY less of an EC margin. But in his case that was OK, I guess.

The popular vote matters? Really? I wonder what former president Gore has to say about that?

In 2000, all the righties were saying that our consitutional republic DEMANDED that the electoral college be the determining factor.

Twelve years later.... Not so much. :lol:
You seem to be reading things I haven't written.

Yes, Obama won the EC. Yes, he won the popular vote. But what you guys are going out of your way to ignore is he didn't win by much -- just 4.8%.

Because when you put it that way, you can't really claim a "MANDATE!!", can you? :lol:

Did you object when Dubya claimed a mandate in 2004 with less of a popular vote margin and only a quarter of the EC vote margin? If so... I missed that.

Obama had a mandate in '08. He fucked up.

This time he has a divided Congress to keep him in check.

The people have spoken.

Obama won't sign to extend the Bush tax cuts. Then the cons will be responsible for raising taxes on the middle class. Go for it..

Obama won't sign to extend the Bush tax cuts. Then the cons will be responsible for raising taxes on the middle class. Go for it..

Obama won't sign the legislation the House will pass to stop the raising of taxes on the middle class, so the raising of taxes on the middle class will be the Republican's fault.

Do you even read your posts before you hit 'send'?

LOL

The popular vote matters? Really? I wonder what former president Gore has to say about that?

In 2000, all the righties were saying that our consitutional republic DEMANDED that the electoral college be the determining factor.

Twelve years later.... Not so much. :lol:

Yes, Obama won the EC. Yes, he won the popular vote. But what you guys are going out of your way to ignore is he didn't win by much -- just 4.8%.

Because when you put it that way, you can't really claim a "MANDATE!!", can you? :lol:

Did you object when Dubya claimed a mandate in 2004 with less of a popular vote margin and only a quarter of the EC vote margin?
Perhaps you need to provide a link. Yes, that would be a fine idea.
If so... I missed that.

daveman
Gunslinger
Member #23991

expatriate
Yellow Dog Democrat
Member #34615

Gee. I wonder why.

Dumbass.

:lmao:

Because when you put it that way, you can't rheally claim a "MANDATE!!", can you? :lol:

Did you object when Dubya claimed a mandate in 2004 with less of a popular vote margin and only a quarter of the EC vote margin? If so... I missed that.

The people have spoken.

And they gave him another mandate in 2012. And you can bet that if Boehner can't get his boys in line and agree to work with this reelected president who most certainly DOES have a mandate from the people, you'll be relearning how to say Speaker Pelosi again in 2014.

And the people DID speak, but gerrymandering allowed their voices to be muted. Are you aware that there were more votes cast for democratic house candidates than there were for republican ones? How's THAT for the people speaking?

The people have spoken.

And they gave him another mandate in 2012. And you can bet that if Boehner can't get his boys in line and agree to work with this reelected president who most certainly DOES have a mandate from the people, you'll be relearning how to say Speaker Pelosi again in 2014.

And the people DID speak, but gerrymandering allowed their voices to be muted. Are you aware that there were more votes cast for democratic house candidates than there were for republican ones? How's THAT for the people speaking?
So, the people spoke when they elected Obama -- but they didn't speak when they decided the House should remain GOP.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You need a link to see that Bush and the GOP claimed that his victory over Kerry was a mandate? Really???
Google Bush mandate 2004... Read any one of several thousand of them.

You don't remember Dubya claiming he had a mandate?

I don't remember "Dubya" claiming our constitutional government demanded that the electoral college be the determining factor in whether or not he had a mandate. And, that's because he didn't. The electoral college was only the determining factor in whether or not he won.

The fact of the maater is that Dubya DID claim a mandate in 2004...and that claim was made with LESS of a popular vote margin and SIGNIFICANTLY less of an EC margin. But in his case that was OK, I guess.

Obviously you're confused over the many factors which indicate a mandate. Which, include a number of factors, including what party controls Congress. Bush had a Republican Congress at the start of his term in 2004. The Obamination doesn't.

The people have spoken.

So, the people spoke when they elected Obama -- but they didn't speak when they decided the House should remain GOP.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Didn't read my last paragraph. I understand.

The people have spoken.

And they gave him another mandate in 2012.
And you can bet that if Boehner can't get his boys in line and agree to work with this reelected president who most certainly DOES have a mandate from the people, you'll be relearning how to say Speaker Pelosi again in 2014.

No, dumbass. We have a divided Congress.

The people have spoken.

And you can bet that if Boehner can't get his boys in line and agree to work with this reelected president who most certainly DOES have a mandate from the people, you'll be relearning how to say Speaker Pelosi again in 2014.

So Bush's claim of a mandate in 2004 .... Did you call him a dumbass for making that claim? Just curious.

So Bush's claim of a mandate in 2004 .... Did you call him a dumbass for making that claim? Just curious.

This is child's play sometimes.

, 2004: Republicans increased their majorities in both houses

108th United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL

You need a link to see that Bush and the GOP claimed that his victory over Kerry was a mandate? Really???
Google Bush mandate 2004... Read any one of several thousand of them.

Well, actually, I doubt you can provide a link which quotes George W. Bush personally, saying he had a mandate. There were White House officials who made the claim. However, the media was the main perpetrator of the claim.

Further, to add to a comment I made in a previous response to you about your confusion over what all factors are involved in a mandate, you might want to look in to voter turnout numbers for this election, as opposed to the 2004 election.

What seems to be happening here this evening is that some on the right are claiming the authority to define the term "mandate" such that it requires not only convincing victories in the popular vote AND the electoral college, but that it also must include control of both chambers of congress as well.

You all should know that that is not a universally accepted definition.

and you all should also know that your grousing about it will not change the fact that Obama is still president and that the people are tired of our do-nothing congress and want the president and the congress to quit this petty bullshit and sit down together and give a little and take a little and start finding common ground.

Face it, expatriate.

You are a dumbass.

You really shouldn't be allowed to come within 10 feet of a computer with internet access.
Sticks and stones....

And you what? When I wake up tomorrow morning, Barack Obama will STILL be the winner of Tuesday's election, and Your boy, Mittens, will STILL be the loser.

Forum List

Back