Ben Sasse - An open letter to Trump Supporters

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Ben Sasse - AN OPEN LETTER TO TRUMP SUPPORTERS To my... | Facebook

Part of the letter:

THE PRESIDENT’S CORE CALLING

The president’s job is not about just mindlessly shouting the word “strong” – as if Vladimir Putin, who has been strongly bombing civilian populations in Syria the last month, is somehow a model for the American presidency. No, the president’s core calling is to “Preserve, Protect, and Defend the Constitution.”

Before we ever get into any technical policy fights – about pipelines, or marginal tax rates, or term limits, or Medicare reimbursement codes – America is first and fundamentally about a shared Constitutional creed. America is exceptional, because she is at her heart a big, bold truth claim about human dignity, natural rights, and self-control – and therefore necessarily about limited rather than limitless government.

THE MEANING OF AMERICA

America is the most exceptional nation in the history of the world because our Constitution is the best political document that’s ever been written. It said something different than almost any other government had said before: Most governments before said that might makes right, that government decides what our rights are and that the people are just dependent subjects. Our Founders said that God gives us rights by nature, and that government is not the author or source of our rights. Government is just our shared project to secure those rights.

Government exists only because the world is fallen, and some people want to take your property, your liberty, and your life. Government is tasked with securing a framework for ordered liberty where “we the people” can in our communities voluntarily build something great together for our kids and grandkids. That’s America. Freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom of association, freedom of speech – the First Amendment is the heartbeat of the American Constitution, of the American idea itself.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO MR. TRUMP?

So let me ask you: Do you believe the beating heart of Mr. Trump’s candidacy has been a defense of the Constitution? Do you believe it’s been an impassioned defense of the First Amendment – or an attack on it?

Which of the following quotes give you great comfort that he’s in love with the First Amendment, that he is committed to defending the Constitution, that he believes in executive restraint, that he understands servant leadership?

Statements from Trump:
***“We’re going to open up libel laws and we’re going to have people sue you like you’ve never got sued before.”
***“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. They were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak…”
***Putin, who has killed journalists and is pillaging Ukraine, is a great leader.
***The editor of National Review “should not be allowed on TV and the FCC should fine him.”
***On whether he will use executive orders to end-run Congress, as President Obama has illegally done: "I won't refuse it. I'm going to do a lot of things." “I mean, he’s led the way, to be honest with you.”
***“Sixty-eight percent would not leave under any circumstance. I think that means murder. It think it means anything.”
***On the internet: “I would certainly be open to closing areas” of it.
***His lawyers to people selling anti-Trump t-shirts: “Mr. Trump considers this to be a very serious matter and has authorized our legal team to take all necessary and appropriate actions to bring an immediate halt...”
***Similar threatening legal letters to competing campaigns running ads about his record.

And on it goes…

Read the entire letter. I've rarely seen anyone articulate the constitutionalist view so clearly

"Given what we know about him today, here’s where I’m at: If Donald Trump becomes the Republican nominee, my expectation is that I will look for some third candidate – a conservative option, a Constitutionalist."

The snag here is there's no such thing as a 'constitutionalist' – or everyone's a 'constitutionalist,' take your pick.

But the notion that there exists some class of persons who refer to themselves as 'constitutionalist' who alone have the only 'correct understanding' of the Founding Document is nonsense.

"Conservatives understand that all men are created equal and made in the image of God, but also that government must be limited so that fallen men do not wield too much power."

Clearly not all conservatives understand that, given the fact that most seek to deny women their right to privacy and gay Americans their right to equal protection of the law, in addition to those on the right who advocate codifying religious dogma in secular law in violation of the First Amendment – none of which comports with the notion of 'limited government.'

For example: “If our Party is no longer working for the things we believe in – like defending the sanctity of life...”

If that's what the party believes in, then as a fact of Constitutional law the party is wrong; conservatives aren't 'defending the sanctity of life,' they're violating the right to privacy by increasing the size and authority of government at the expense of individual liberty.

And the notion of 'defending the sanctity of life' rings hollow given the right's propensity for war.

Otherwise, the author of the letter is expressing a viewpoint common among many conservatives: that Trump isn't a 'real conservative' and no 'true conservative' in good faith should support him; the problem is such an admonishment is falling on deaf ears.

Part of the letter:

The president’s job is not about just mindlessly shouting the word “strong” – as if Vladimir Putin, who has been strongly bombing civilian populations in Syria the last month, is somehow a model for the American presidency. No, the president’s core calling is to “Preserve, Protect, and Defend the Constitution.”

Before we ever get into any technical policy fights – about pipelines, or marginal tax rates, or term limits, or Medicare reimbursement codes – America is first and fundamentally about a shared Constitutional creed. America is exceptional, because she is at her heart a big, bold truth claim about human dignity, natural rights, and self-control – and therefore necessarily about limited rather than limitless government.

THE MEANING OF AMERICA

America is the most exceptional nation in the history of the world because our Constitution is the best political document that’s ever been written. It said something different than almost any other government had said before: Most governments before said that might makes right, that government decides what our rights are and that the people are just dependent subjects. Our Founders said that God gives us rights by nature, and that government is not the author or source of our rights. Government is just our shared project to secure those rights.

Government exists only because the world is fallen, and some people want to take your property, your liberty, and your life. Government is tasked with securing a framework for ordered liberty where “we the people” can in our communities voluntarily build something great together for our kids and grandkids. That’s America. Freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom of association, freedom of speech – the First Amendment is the heartbeat of the American Constitution, of the American idea itself.

So let me ask you: Do you believe the beating heart of Mr. Trump’s candidacy has been a defense of the Constitution? Do you believe it’s been an impassioned defense of the First Amendment – or an attack on it?

Which of the following quotes give you great comfort that he’s in love with the First Amendment, that he is committed to defending the Constitution, that he believes in executive restraint, that he understands servant leadership?

Statements from Trump:
***“We’re going to open up libel laws and we’re going to have people sue you like you’ve never got sued before.”
***“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. They were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak…”
***Putin, who has killed journalists and is pillaging Ukraine, is a great leader.
***The editor of National Review “should not be allowed on TV and the FCC should fine him.”
***On whether he will use executive orders to end-run Congress, as President Obama has illegally done: "I won't refuse it. I'm going to do a lot of things." “I mean, he’s led the way, to be honest with you.”
***“Sixty-eight percent would not leave under any circumstance. I think that means murder. It think it means anything.”
***His lawyers to people selling anti-Trump t-shirts: “Mr. Trump considers this to be a very serious matter and has authorized our legal team to take all necessary and appropriate actions to bring an immediate halt...”
***Similar threatening legal letters to competing campaigns running ads about his record.

And on it goes…

Read the entire letter. I've rarely seen anyone articulate the constitutionalist view so clearly

Too bad he didn't right the same letter to Obama followers.

Part of the letter:

THE MEANING OF AMERICA

Statements from Trump:

And on it goes…

Here's the sentiment that you seem to be failing to grasp.

Many conservative politicians that have run for office in the oh, past near decade have claimed to be "constitutionalists." They ran for office on that premise, and when they were elected in due faith by the voters, they outright showed they were not "constitutionalists" but part of the same Washington Bureaucracy. We voted for them, and they betrayed us. They continued the status quo, while ditching all of the principles they ran on during their campaigns. Enough is enough.

To wit, I've rarely seen anyone stick truly to being a "constitutionalist" (with the one glaring exception being the late Justice Scalia). There are some of us who are tired of politicians telling us what they think they are, of what they'll be, or how they'll "turn Washington DC on its head." We want action, and we feel Trump, despite his alleged despotism (according to you), or his negative traits and attributes, will take such action.

We Trump voters don't like being lectured or ostracized simply for voting for someone you don't like. We are not blind or unintelligent people, despite what other people believe. If we are unintelligent, our "unintelligence" as it were, was due the fact that we fell for each lie those self proclaimed "constitutionalists" told us. Cruz sounds no different than the others before him.

Last edited:
Mr. Trump's supporters and 9/11 truthers seem to be the only groups of any prominence in this century to consistently bask in the waters of self delusion and whose only request is for a greater storm.

One gets the feeling that the non Nazis in 1930s Germany and the Southern abolitionists in the 1850s had the same perspective as most Anericans do today; you're amazed at how easily they are duped and wonder what they will be like when they are introduced to reality in a few months.

Mr. Trump's supporters and 9/11 truthers seem to be the only groups of any prominence in this century to consistently bask in the waters of self delusion and whose only request is for a greater storm.

One gets the feeling that the non Nazis in 1930s Germany and the Southern abolitionists in the 1850s had the same perspective as most Anericans do today; you're amazed at how easily they are duped and wonder what they will be like when they are introduced to reality in a few months.
Lmao! Thanks for making my point!

Lmao! Thanks for making my point!

What point was that?

Part of the letter:

THE MEANING OF AMERICA

Statements from Trump:

And on it goes…

Here's the sentiment that you seem to be failing to grasp.

Many conservative politicians that have run for office in the oh, past near decade have claimed to be "constitutionalists." They ran for office on that premise, and when they were elected in due faith by the voters, they outright showed they were not "constitutionalists" but part of the same Washington Bureaucracy. We voted for them, and they betrayed us. They continued the status quo, while ditching all of the principles they ran on during their campaigns. Enough is enough.

To wit, I've rarely seen anyone stick truly to being a "constitutionalist" (with the one glaring exception being the late Justice Scalia). There are some of us who are tired of politicians telling us what they think they are, of what they'll be, or how they'll "turn Washington DC on its head." We want action, and we feel Trump, despite his alleged despotism (according to you), or his negative traits and attributes, will take such action.

We Trump voters don't like being lectured or ostracized simply for voting for someone you don't like. We are not blind or unintelligent people, despite what other people believe. If we are unintelligent, our "unintelligence" as it were, was due the fact that we fell for each lie those self proclaimed "constitutionalists" told us. Cruz sounds no different than the others before him.

Yet you vote for someone who we know is lying? Who blatantly disregards and belittles the constitution and the rights there in?

Cruz has spent his whole life fighting for the constitution. He's argued for constitutional principles his whole life. He argued them before the supreme Court and won every time. He memorized the constitution as a teen and has been arguing for it since then. He is one a few candidates who actually kept his promises and fought for the principles in Washington. So much so that he has pisses off the establishment in both parties. So much so that the establishment would rather risk a Trump presidency and destroy themselves than elect Ted Cruz who is going to actually make the party keep their promises. Under Trump their corruption can continue. With Cruz it can't and they know it.

I don't think you are unintelligent. You are angry. And with good reason. And it's clouding your judgment. We are on the verge of winning the battle for constitutional government. The only obstacle we have is ourselves. So we let our anger vote for a man with shotty character, a disdain for the constitution and it's people? Or do we vote for a person who spent his life building excellent character and obtaining knowledge of constitution. Do we elect someone we know will elect originality judges or someone who has stated that judges who oppose our beliefs on liberty and the constitution would be excellent choices?

How does selling out our principles in anger make sense? If people betray us or lie to us we should elect honest people with our values, not get angry and vote in someone who fought our values his his entire life and lies every time he opens his mouth.

We don't need a strong man to fix things. We need a return to constitutional government. We need to end corruption not reward it.

Ted Cruz is thr guy we need. Not Donald Trump. There is a reason the establishment prefers Trump over Cruz. Why given them what they want when we are angry at them?

Again, there is no anger. If there was, Senators and congresspersons would be getting primaried left and right. If you're tired of career politicians, you're tired of the Senate, the House, Governors, all of them.

The average length of service for Representatives at the beginning of the 113th Congress was 9.1 years (4.6 terms); for Senators, 10.2 years(1.7 terms).

That you're not hearing about massive swings tells you all you need to know about the "anger". It ain't there.

Duped, huh? Yeah, that's the word that comes to mind for many of us who've supported professional politicians for decades, from both parties. And in spite of all the many campaign promises look where our country is today as a result of their "leadership."

Forum List

Back