Ben Carson: We need a holistic approach to HUD

That's a preposterous comparison.

Nobody has called Carson "fake".

Carson went to great schools, too. So, given his claims of no family money, one has to ask who paid for his education. One doesn't work their way through school to becoming a brain surgeon - nor can one do that today.

And, the charges against Obama not doing enough fly in the face of the Republican congressmen who have opposed Obama's direction on this - even to the point of saying that their OBJECTIVE was motivated by no higher cause than causing the failure of the US president!!

If Carson is to be successful in helping those in need it will require a VERY DIFFERENT congress than Obama had.

Plus, Carson has said NOTHING about what his direction might be.
And give you assholes something to be critical of?
Why on Earth would he do that?
Let me help:

If you have no ideas whatsoever just don't post.

Or, find somewhere people think ad hom is a sign of intelligence.
I have a better idea.
Wait till he's in office before you start expecting results.
Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
Sure. In the end, that IS what happens.

But, we're in the confirmation process, and that IS when we need to be thinking about the change that is likely to take place.

So far, Carson hasn't given much of a clue concerning what he's going to do to HUD.

And, that is a SERIOUS issue for a large number of Americans who have housing today due to the efforts of HUD - let alone the nearly 2M who are homeless today.
If HUD was working properly you wouldn't have 3-6 generations living in government housing. There would be no homeless Americans.

I'm not arguing that HUD is doing everything right.

But we have NEVER been interested in having HUD solve the problem as thoroughly as you demand.

So, if you want to say HUD is failing, you need to be a LOT more specific in defining the parameters HUD has at its disposal as well as what the objectives are.

The only correct answer from Ben Carson about HUD is that it needs to be dismantled.

His ideas to reform it is appreciated and much better than anything we would ever get out of a stupid Democrat but the damn department needs to be done away with.
As far as I can tell, what Carson says includes few clues concerning even his most broad directional intent.

Are you saying that it's not winter?

I'm saying you like to try and sit on the fence so you can have it both ways.
Not the way I play.
You trying say that any success Carson might have is because he is necessarily "Progressive" makes you look stupid.
I am also saying that your entire ideology is based on fraud.
I'd point out that ANY success in HUD will be seen as progressive if it helps people.

That IS the measure of HUD. It's the whole reason it exists.

So far, I really don't believe you know what Carson is going to do. But, his statements make it sound like his view includes the idea that helping poor people is best accomplished by kicking them to the street.

And, that certainly isn't going to be seen as success at HUD.

That's disingenuous at best. If you listened to him speak from his time he was running you would understand his overall philosophy and he narrowed it down slightly in that 3 min video. Take best practices that produce success, get rid of what doesn't work.

Let me give you an example from Communist Canada. Every Christmas when I was a kid I would get this one particular box as a gift from "Santa". For about 3-4 years I received it, it was always the same mustard yellow mittens. My mother would see my reaction and never acted overly excited when I opened it. Why? It turns out they were given to us each year by the province because we were poor. She probably hated them, but it saved her a couple of bucks. Now, I DO appreciate these mittens, at the time though it was a sore thumb. 90% Of students in my school had slick gloves of all shapes and colours, 10% of us had these mustard yellow mittens...absorb that concept of identification for a moment.

I knew some very smart people who were poor. Smarter than some who were in my MBA class many years later. They failed to gain traction in the system. They also had these same mustard mittens. They were guided to vocational schools. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course, but it is customary to send poor students, maybe student who were less talkative due to their experiences in life to schools that would basically congregate those "like them". Sounds like some of the experiences you face with "common core". They didn't know any better, nor did their parents. Some of them were a bit rambunctious, but they were far smarter, but never "expected" to do well. Nor was I, but my mother cared and I loved to learn, still do.

I was lucky, to some degree. My guidance counsellor, who happened to be my soccer coach and who I had a rocky relationship with, but, he gave a damn about me. He told me the school I was going to, a Collegiate. Meant to hone me for university if I so chose, I remember to this day our meeting, I was in grade eight at the time. "______, what high school school do you want to go to?" I considered those my friends were going to since I wanted to be with my fellow poor friends. I told him accordingly, he said "no, you are going to ______ school. You will do well there, right?" I nodded my head, but in reality I was scared. I would lose many of my friends, that security net.

I saw guys who were very bright, go unchallenged at school. Their schoolwork was probably a year or two behind in equivalency, but they were good with their hands, or learned to be. They also had curious minds and different interest, both those interests were quickly altered. The lucky ones became mechanics or did factory ones. The bored ones or those who simply weren't the hands on type, dropped out, did what they did. Some are still living in those poor buildings with kids of their own, on welfare, continuing the cycle. It was too easy to just follow the same path. Turn 18 or 19, get on welfare, do other nefarious garbage and watch the Simpsons or Honey Boo Boo for entertainment. "ah, this is the life" Or so they believed, because they don't know any better.

How many Ben Carsons are in these neighbourhoods? How many stuck in a cycle, with children following their paths? How many even KNOW how to be dependent? Have ambition or a desire to apply their God given strengths? Let me tell you, the toughest thing for me growing up in these areas wasn't school, it was confidence. I would visit friends on my wrestling team or soccer team and they lived in houses. Had nice furniture and parents with nice jobs. I didn't have that as my mother had me at a young age and she became part of the system. I was determined to break this cycle, even though I very nearly followed in the footsteps of ignorance and dependence.

If Carson is successful in transforming this culture of traps and spirit sapping dead ends for so many families, he will have done as great a service to the country as any politician in history.
Saying "take best practices that produce success, get rid of what doesn't work" is meaningless.

It fully depends on what someone thinks is "success".

ANY HUD policy will always be able to be pitched either as a success or a failure at any given time in history.

In fact, I hear Carson spewing this kind of nonsense far too much - ever since he first started considering politics.

BTW: You tell a good story, but I don't see how it applies to Carson.
I think you should look up "Holistic Approach" then comment.
That phrase can mean anything you want it to mean.

I don't see anything he's said or anything in his personal history that can be considered evidence of what he will do at HUD.

C2IYMhyXUAEbfev.jpg

They really have to promise not to have offspring while on public assistance. That is unethical.

i call Ben Carson "Sleepy Eyes" because it looks like he's falling asleep when he speaks!

Sleepy Eyes will be a terrific HUD Secretary.

Secretary Carson will reverse Julian Castro’s government-engineered attempt to legislate racial equality!

Forum List

Back