Beating Diabetes:My Story

What were you morning sugars at?
When I learned I had diabetes it was in the 600 range.
I now take a couple of pills a day and administer Toujeo as needed,usually once a week,occasionally twice a week.

160 when I was diagnosed and 116 when I most recently visited.

Thats really not that bad. I hit 160 on occasion but thats a high mark and I can quickly get it back to 100 which is a good morning reading with the Toujeo

Have you tried Glipizide metformirn,one pill twice a day, combined with the occasional Toujeo injection?

My A1C readings are around 5.4% which is in the target range of 4% and 5.6%.

You need to get the Freestyle Libre which you plug into your arm.
You can check your sugar by passing a unit about the diameter of a silver dollar over the unit in your arm and get instant reading sugar levels so you can do it anywhere.
It was the first thing I found that made it simple to compare what you eat to what causes your spikes.
It even has an app for your phone to keep track of the foods that that made your levels spike.

Dude,you dont have much to worry about unless you get lazy.

Remember,my shit was in the 600's when diagnosed and I'm now in the normal range unless I get lazy.

Last edited:
What were you morning sugars at?
When I learned I had diabetes it was in the 600 range.
I now take a couple of pills a day and administer Toujeo as needed,usually once a week,occasionally twice a week.

160 when I was diagnosed and 116 when I most recently visited.
That is not too bad
You just have to watch your diet

"Watching your diet" fails, 98 per cent of the time. "Watching your diet" is putting on a few pounds ever year, and having a constantly worse situation.

I am going to continue to lose weight, until my numbers are completely back in the normal range.
You don’t have far to go

Today, we went out to a steakhouse with my father in law. Tomorrow I am going to fast from when I wake up, to when I wake up the NEXT day. Should be about 38 hours, (an hour sleeping before midnight plus, 24 hours of Monday, plus 6 or 7 hours of sleeping on Tuesday).

I hope, within a few weeks, to be down to where I am no longer obese, and just be overweight.

If you're obese than dieting is a good idea.
Better to lesson your portions and keep track of your sugars. That'll bring your sugars down all by themselves.
Exercising is even better but not always possible as in my case. They've had to cut on my hip 6 times in the last year but I was easily able to bring my levels to the normal range even with all those operations.
At this point I'm having dreams of being able to walk normally.

That is not too bad
You just have to watch your diet

"Watching your diet" fails, 98 per cent of the time. "Watching your diet" is putting on a few pounds ever year, and having a constantly worse situation.

I am going to continue to lose weight, until my numbers are completely back in the normal range.
You don’t have far to go

Today, we went out to a steakhouse with my father in law. Tomorrow I am going to fast from when I wake up, to when I wake up the NEXT day. Should be about 38 hours, (an hour sleeping before midnight plus, 24 hours of Monday, plus 6 or 7 hours of sleeping on Tuesday).

I hope, within a few weeks, to be down to where I am no longer obese, and just be overweight.

I was told you are better off spacing small meals throughout he day to allow your body to process sugars

Peaks and valleys may be counterproductive

I was told that too. It was part of my journey that led to being obese and diabetic.

Now I am doing something else. Now I am going in the opposite direction.

I'm down over 35 pounds from September.

I'm 180lbs and 5'9" from my worst at 200lbs.

You don’t have far to go

I was told you are better off spacing small meals throughout he day to allow your body to process sugars

Peaks and valleys may be counterproductive

I was told that too. It was part of my journey that led to being obese and diabetic.

Now I am doing something else. Now I am going in the opposite direction.

I'm down over 35 pounds from September.

I'm 180lbs and 5'9" from my worst at 200lbs.

That’s not too bad

So, it was about two years ago now, that I my doctor gave me the bad news, that my slowly creeping up sugar, had reached the point where I was now considered diabetic. He told me that if I could lose ten percent of my weight, in the next 6 months, before the next visit, that perhaps, I could undo that diagnosis.

For the first year and a half I tried diet and exercise, and failed miserably.

IN sept, just as I was about to give up, and make an appointment, to start managing my diabetes, I tried intermittent fasting.

I started out slowly, on my days off, just skipping breakfast. That got some results, so I quickly started skipping breakfast and lunch.

Soon, I was doing that during work. I was careful to keep snacks on hand, in case I became weak with hunger and had to break the fast. This happened only once, when my stomach started feeling cramped and I eat all my snacks and ended the fast.

Not long after that, I was attracted to the efficiency of linking a day long fast with the fast involved in sleeping and started extending my fasts from dinner, though one whole day to the next breakfast.

This got even more dramatic results.

As time went on, I got more and more comfortable with it. I did two, and three, and even a couple of 4 day fasts.

When I finally went back to the doctor at the two year mark, I was down well over the ten percent loss he had requested and my numbers were no longer in the diabetic range. . My only medication at this point is over the counter allergy pills.

At my current rate, I will no longer be obese within a few weeks. And I see no reason to stop any time soon.

I would strongly recommend that anyone with any weight or sugar issues, take a look at this web link.

Fasting - A History
I do intermittently fasting. I generally eat between 1 or 2 and 7 or 8.

I also eat a 1/2 cup to one cup of shelled sunflower seeds (I just get them at Dollar General) every day. The protein, fiber and good fats in the seeds keep me satisfied and I am never hungry. The hig magnesium content is good for the arteries and heart health.

So, it was about two years ago now, that I my doctor gave me the bad news, that my slowly creeping up sugar, had reached the point where I was now considered diabetic. He told me that if I could lose ten percent of my weight, in the next 6 months, before the next visit, that perhaps, I could undo that diagnosis.

IN sept, just as I was about to give up, and make an appointment, to start managing my diabetes, I tried intermittent fasting.

I started out slowly, on my days off, just skipping breakfast. That got some results, so I quickly started skipping breakfast and lunch.

Soon, I was doing that during work. I was careful to keep snacks on hand, in case I became weak with hunger and had to break the fast. This happened only once, when my stomach started feeling cramped and I eat all my snacks and ended the fast.

Not long after that, I was attracted to the efficiency of linking a day long fast with the fast involved in sleeping and started extending my fasts from dinner, though one whole day to the next breakfast.

As time went on, I got more and more comfortable with it. I did two, and three, and even a couple of 4 day fasts.

When I finally went back to the doctor at the two year mark, I was down well over the ten percent loss he had requested and my numbers were no longer in the diabetic range. . My only medication at this point is over the counter allergy pills.

At my current rate, I will no longer be obese within a few weeks. And I see no reason to stop any time soon.

I would strongly recommend that anyone with any weight or sugar issues, take a look at this web link.

Fasting - A History

I also eat a 1/2 cup to one cup of shelled sunflower seeds (I just get them at Dollar General) every day. The protein, fiber and good fats in the seeds keep me satisfied and I am never hungry. The hig magnesium content is good for the arteries and heart health.

Very interesting. I will considering adding it to my tool box.

Fasting - A History

You are winner, you should be proud of yourself! Bless you Correll! :thup:

Fasting - A History

I eat a shit ton of sunflower seeds for no other reason than I love em!!

Fasting - A History

Too many "helps" with constipation! I think it's the fiber and fats. Sometimes that' not a good thing.

"Shit ton" reminded me of that

Fasting - A History

Too many "helps" with constipation! I think it's the fiber and fats. Sometimes that' not a good thing.

I'm eating them from the shell so I'd bet my intake is far less.
Salt would probably be more of a problem.

Fasting - A History

I'm eating them from the shell so I'd bet my intake is far less.
Salt would probably be more of a problem.
The ones I buy are pretty low sodium even a full cup (considered 4 servings). They come in a 2 cup jar for only $1.35

Fasting - A History

I feed them to the birds

143388-Bird-Eating-Dried-Sunflower-Seeds.jpg

Fasting - A History

Awesome. I went from 220+ down to 209 since November. All I did was not eat fast food and put alittle effort into my lunch choices. Kept a can of nuts handy for snacks, but you gotta watch it with those. Also quit smoking and got my moderate to severe copd down to moderate. I bet you feel better now to.

Fasting - A History

Awesome. I went from 220+ down to 209 since November. All I did was not eat fast food and put alittle effort into my lunch choices. Kept a can of nuts handy for snacks, but you gotta watch it with those. Also quit smoking and got my moderate to severe copd down to moderate. I bet you feel better now to.

Bumping this old thread because it's interesting to me. I've heard of "intermittent fasting" and interested in the health effects of it, but also if the way I eat has been having any health benefits over the years--

I'm not a snacker at all. I eat dinner at normal time, say 6:00, and not after, and then bfast at about 6:00 AM. Never eat at night. I have done this for decades. Is this a form of fasting that counts?

I am not overweight--in fact, I have been underweight for a long time due to GI issues. (I am now on the low end of normal)

Anyway I tried a longer intermittent fast recently and I felt like absolute crap. I couldn't do it. My husband says it's because I'm too small. He says I don't have enough "reserve". I don't know if that's true, but I did eat some protein and feel better.

Maybe 12 hours a day every day is enough to get the benefits of fasting?

I'm not a snacker at all. I eat dinner at normal time, say 6:00, and not after, and then bfast at about 6:00 AM. Never eat at night. I have done this for decades. Is this a form of fasting that counts?
As far as Intermittent Fasting goes, the health benefits kick in after going 16 hours without food and only allowing yourself to eat during an 8 hour span.

For many, that eating period is noon to 8 pm. Some dont eat until 2 pm to 8.

The fasting state should be a minimum of 16 hours.

As far as Intermittent Fasting goes, the health benefits kick in after going 16 hours without food and only allowing yourself to eat during an 8 hour span.

For many, that eating period is noon to 8 pm. Some dont eat until 2 pm to 8.

The fasting state should be a minimum of 16 hours.

I’ve done that schedule most of my adult life. Not that I planned it but, just the way I eat.
I have never been a breakfast eater so my first meal was 1130 lunch. Dinner was around six. So I did all my eating in a seven hour period. Didn’t seem to make a difference weight wise.

Since I was diagnosed Type 2 I have been making myself eat a small breakfast and lunch and cut down on alcohol and exercised. I have lost 32 lbs

Type 2 diabetes isn't complicated. It's almost always caused by ingesting too much sugar and sugar-producing carbs. Unfortunately, the best medications are also the most expensive, so, much depends on your healrh insurance and or income. The result is to quit sugar and greatly reduce sugar-producing carbs like pasta, and bread, potatoes, and rice. Quitting these foods are as difficult as a lifetime smoker quitting smoking.

Fasting - A History

Bumping this old thread because it's interesting to me. I've heard of "intermittent fasting" and interested in the health effects of it, but also if the way I eat has been having any health benefits over the years--

I am not overweight--in fact, I have been underweight for a long time due to GI issues. (I am now on the low end of normal)

Anyway I tried a longer intermittent fast recently and I felt like absolute crap. I couldn't do it. My husband says it's because I'm too small. He says I don't have enough "reserve". I don't know if that's true, but I did eat some protein and feel better.

Maybe 12 hours a day every day is enough to get the benefits of fasting?

According to Dr. Fung, yes.

"There are many different fasting regimens. Let’s be very clear to start, though. There is simply no ‘best’ one. They all work to different degrees for different people. Just as some people prefer steak to chicken, there is no right or wrong answer. One regimen will work for one person but be utterly ineffective in the next.

Fasting is defined as the voluntary act of withholding food for a specific period of time. Non-caloric drinks such as water and tea are permitted. An absolute fast refers to the withholding of both food and drink. This may be done for religious purposes, such as during Ramadan in the Muslim tradition, but is not generally recommended for health purposes because of the accompanying dehydration. In our IDM program, we do not ever use the absolute fast.

Fasting has no standard duration. Fasts can range from twelve hours to three months or more. You can fast once a week or once a month or once a year. Intermittent fasting involves fasting for shorter periods of time on a regular basis. Shorter fasts are generally done more frequently.... "

"
Short Daily Fasting Regimens

1. 12 hour fasting – There are several regimens of fasting that use a shorter period of fasting but done every day. A 12 hour fasting period done every day used to be ‘normal’. That is, you would eat 3 meals a day from, say 7 am to 7 pm and refrain from eating anything from 7 pm to 7 am.
TedNaiman1-300x200.jpg

At that point, you would ‘break your fast’ with a small breakfast. This was pretty standard in the 1950s and 1960s. There wasn’t much obesity back then. However, there were two major changes that happened since then. First was the change to a higher carbohydrate, lower fat diet. This tended to increase insulin. Second was the increase in meal frequency, as we detail in a previous post, which tended to reduce fasting periods.

If you could eat unprocessed foods, avoid excessive added sugars, and did not have significant insulin resistance to start, this 12 hr daily fasting was probably good enough for most people to avoid obesity. However, it is not really strong enough to reverse decades of insulin resistance."

I weighed 360 about a year ago. I was having problems staying awake on the job due to sleep apnea. I started taking better care of my health including doctor's visits. I'm surprised I wasn't diabetic. I've lost down to 275 lbs and no longer use a C-PAP machine. I usually skip breakfast and have 2 good semi-healthy meals a day.

Forum List

Back