Barack Obama: 'by every metric, economy is better' - False

Anyone with even a modicum of common sense understands that the costs are going to be astronomical. How do you "fix" the ACA without either having the American Middle Class absorb a HUGE increase in their healthcare costs or the United States incurring HUGE increases to the national debt?

Anyone who is "confident" that the ACA isn't going to cost taxpayers FAR more than advertised when it was sold by this Administration is naive beyond belief. They lied to the American people when they rammed the ACA through, Nuhuh...they knew that the numbers were bullshit and they didn't care. When the true cost of the ACA becomes apparent it's going to come as a shock to millions of Americans...one of which apparently will be you.

And what does that mean precisely? I suggest it means that Congress will either have to fix things that are wrong with it or continue to use it as a weight around the presidents neck to harangue him with. At which point it becomes your problem if you still control congress.
This Congress has attempted many fixes. But they cant do anything with a president who says no to everything they do.

This Congress has only voted to repeal the ACA 60 times. Imagine how efficient it would be if those votes were toward actually fixing it.

OK...what would you do to "fix" the ACA?

I'm not a health care professional, for me to offer a "fix" would be possibly incorrect and costly. I'll leave that to the professionals who can express proper fixes far better than you or me.

So cite what progressives who ARE health care professionals are suggesting will "fix" the ACA? You've made the point that it should be fixed by Congress...so what fixes would those be?

You can raise holy hell if you are correct and so disposed in 15 months. Until then, much remains to be seen and others are much more confident than you are.

Anyone who is "confident" that the ACA isn't going to cost taxpayers FAR more than advertised when it was sold by this Administration is naive beyond belief. They lied to the American people when they rammed the ACA through, Nuhuh...they knew that the numbers were bullshit and they didn't care. When the true cost of the ACA becomes apparent it's going to come as a shock to millions of Americans...one of which apparently will be you.

And what does that mean precisely? I suggest it means that Congress will either have to fix things that are wrong with it or continue to use it as a weight around the presidents neck to harangue him with. At which point it becomes your problem if you still control congress.

With all due respect...I suggest that this will be a weight around the necks of the Democrats who voted for something without knowing what was in it. The way they set this whole scam up was to push as far down the road as possible the real costs of the ACA. That will never be Barry's problem to deal with...just as he won't be around to deal with the problem of Iran having a nuke.

Well some of us know that the old "did not know what was in it" is an old canard. Barack Obama will not have to deal with you are correct, but only because short minded yahoos want to deprive him of a legacy. I think its sad that it is more important for some in Congress to deliver a rebuke than it is to deliver a fix. This is about all Americans and I wish that some could remember that when they sit at their desks in Congress.
So do you think ACA is broken and dysfunctional or not? Has it delivered on its promise to lower insurance rates and provide universal coverage or not?

Not satisfactorily no. I think that is one of the more important issues representatives will have to address. It also depends on what kind of congress we end up with doesn't it?

Anyone with even a modicum of common sense understands that the costs are going to be astronomical. How do you "fix" the ACA without either having the American Middle Class absorb a HUGE increase in their healthcare costs or the United States incurring HUGE increases to the national debt?

Well its already reduced the deficit so that isn't going to be an argument. Rates are important and are rising, but everything else goes up why not health care?

This Congress has attempted many fixes. But they cant do anything with a president who says no to everything they do.

This Congress has only voted to repeal the ACA 60 times. Imagine how efficient it would be if those votes were toward actually fixing it.

I'm not a health care professional, for me to offer a "fix" would be possibly incorrect and costly. I'll leave that to the professionals who can express proper fixes far better than you or me.

So cite what progressives who ARE health care professionals are suggesting will "fix" the ACA? You've made the point that it should be fixed by Congress...so what fixes would those be?

There is no bill before congress to fix any part of the ACA. When a bill is introduced you can follow it through committee and even input your own personal feelings about through your representative. Any idea as to when the Republican congress or the Republican Senate will do that?

Well its already reduced the deficit so that isn't going to be an argument. Rates are important and are rising, but everything else goes up why not health care?

How has the ACA reduced the deficit when the costs haven't even kicked in yet? That would be like saying the thousand dollars you took out of the ATM from your high interest credit card made you richer than you were before you took it out. You got something that you haven't had to pay for yet! It's the same thing with the ACA.

There is no bill before congress to fix any part of the ACA. When a bill is introduced you can follow it through committee and even input your own personal feelings about through your representative. Any idea as to when the Republican congress or the Republican Senate will do that?

The ACA is such a bad piece of legislation that it really shouldn't have been passed in the first place. You Progressives did so however, Nuhuh...so when you then turn around and demand to know what it is that the GOP is going to do to "save" your beloved ObamaCare...it's an astounding take on how things work.

How has the ACA reduced the deficit when the costs haven't even kicked in yet? That would be like saying the thousand dollars you took out of the ATM from your high interest credit card made you richer than you were before you took it out. You got something that you haven't had to pay for yet! It's the same thing with the ACA.

I stated it because it is fact. CBO Confirms Obamacare Reduces Deficits - US News

The ACA is such a bad piece of legislation that it really shouldn't have been passed in the first place. You Progressives did so however, Nuhuh...so when you then turn around and demand to know what it is that the GOP is going to do to "save" your beloved ObamaCare...it's an astounding take on how things work.

I don't think Republicans ever intended to do anything with the ACA as evidenced by 60 votes to repeal. The proper thing to do would be to take charge, fix it and take credit for it. But we both know that is likely to never happen. Democrats will get it done as usual, I imagine it will be hard to do without cooperation, but people who have insurance now won't like the fact that Republicans are being so steadfast to block fixes and it will show at the ballot box.

I stated it because it is fact. CBO Confirms Obamacare Reduces Deficits - US News

Do you understand the difference between reducing an increase in a deficit and actually reducing a deficit?

I don't think Republicans ever intended to do anything with the ACA as evidenced by 60 votes to repeal. The proper thing to do would be to take charge, fix it and take credit for it. But we both know that is likely to never happen. Democrats will get it done as usual, I imagine it will be hard to do without cooperation, but people who have insurance now won't like the fact that Republicans are being so steadfast to block fixes and it will show at the ballot box.

How do you "fix" something that is as fundamentally flawed as the ACA? Do you not realize that almost the same number of people will remain uninsured AFTER the ACA as were uninsured before it was passed? Do you not realize that the ACA will be responsible for about 2 million people losing their jobs? Do you not understand that for millions of other Americans...working fewer hours will now be something they need to do or risk losing their healthcare subsidies? How a small raise at their jobs could end up costing them money?

You idiots passed it...you idiots come up with a plan to somehow pay for it!

Yep and they will. Taking away from Republicans any bi-partisan governing trademark , I would hate to be labeled like that.

You truly believe that? Then surely you base that belief on a plan that Progressives have put forth. Yet every time I ask you what that fix would be...you get incredibly vague. Why is that?

Do you understand the difference between reducing an increase in a deficit and actually reducing a deficit?

How do you "fix" something that is as fundamentally flawed as the ACA? Do you not realize that almost the same number of people will remain uninsured AFTER the ACA as were uninsured before it was passed? Do you not realize that the ACA will be responsible for about 2 million people losing their jobs? Do you not understand that for millions of other Americans...working fewer hours will now be something they need to do or risk losing their healthcare subsidies? How a small raise at their jobs could end up costing them money?

All of those things were considered before the ACA was even passed and they were rigorously debated in both public forums and news sites. If Congress sees a problem then it is inherent upon them to fix it.

Yep and they will. Taking away from Republicans any bi-partisan governing trademark , I would hate to be labeled like that.

You truly believe that? Then surely you base that belief on a plan that Progressives have put forth. Yet every time I ask you what that fix would be...you get incredibly vague. Why is that?

I wouldn't have written it if I didn't believe it. I also have spoken to the fact that I am not an expert and that I will leave "fixes" to experts. Why in the world would you want me to offer a fix if I am not qualified to offer one and you are not qualified to interpret its efficacy?

All of those things were considered before the ACA was even passed and they were rigorously debated in both public forums and news sites. If Congress sees a problem then it is inherent upon them to fix it.

So what was Nancy Pelosi referring to when she made that infamous statement about needing to pass the ACA before we could see what was in the ACA? The truth is that Progressive Democrats own the ACA and it's inherent on them to fix it since they passed such an utterly awful piece of legislation simply to get something on the books before the Republicans that the American people elected in the midterms could take office.

I wouldn't have written it if I didn't believe it. I also have spoken to the fact that I am not an expert and that I will leave "fixes" to experts. Why in the world would you want me to offer a fix if I am not qualified to offer one and you are not qualified to interpret its efficacy?

So you believe in something but you don't have the faintest idea what that something is? LOL You're one of those people that bought into that vague "Hope & Change" thing...aren't you, Nuhuh?

liberals are complete idiots. it isnt enough that the ACA passed constitutional muster; the law IS fatally flawed. if these emotional mental midgets would put aside their "hate" cards for a minute they might realize appeal of a fatally flawed law IS how you fix it; not endless patches, some legal and some UN-CONSTITUTIONAL as obama/dems are doing

when left-wing idiots like the President say metric, it's usually some new definition of something they pulled out of their ass to go along with the pre-packaged narrative

Barack Obama tells Jon Stewart the economy by every metric is better than when he took office PolitiFact
The economy is better for the rich..
Relevant:
"That unemployment rate is complete hogwash and everyone knows it. Many Americans are unemployed or underemployed. Do you understand that the unemployment rate only counts those who are currently receiving unemployment benefits? The labor participation rate is 62.9% at present, which means nearly 38% of working adults are not working in the legal market. I would also like to add that many new jobs are low quality, part-time service and retail industry jobs with low wages and minimal economic opportunity. The middle class is still in the process of being taken apart."
During his farewell visit to Jon Stewart’sDaily Show, President Barack Obama took a bit of a victory lap.

At one point in the extended interview posted online, Obama said, "Here's the thing I can say, Jon. I can say this unequivocally: The VA is better now than when I came into office; government works better than when I came into office; the economy, by every metric, is better than when I came into office."

It was the last of those claims -- that "the economy, by every metric, is better than when I came into office" -- that caught our attention. That’s a pretty strong statement. Is it correct?

Statistics that support Obama’s claim

Three common economic statistics that are widely considered important are gross domestic product, unemployment rate and employment level. And looking just at these three measurements, Obama has a strong record in office.

Gross domestic product per capita. Inflation adjusted GDP per capita -- that is, all economic activity in the United States divided by the number of U.S. residents -- has increased from $47,002 in 2009 to $54,630 in 2014, an increase of 16 percent since Obama took office.

Unemployment rate. In January 2009, the unemployment rate was 7.8 percent. After peaking at 10 percent in October 2009, the rate fell to 5.3 percent by June 2015. That’s a drop in unemployment of almost one-third since Obama’s inauguration, and it’s been mirrored in drops among African-Americans and Latinos.

Employment level. In January 2009, total nonfarm employment in the United States stood just shy of 134 million. By February 2010, employment had fallen to 129.6 million, but by June 2015 it had rebounded to 141.8 million. That’s an increase in jobs of almost 6 percent from the start of Obama’s term.

Where things haven’t gone so well for Obama

While Obama has some statistics to point to, it is wrong to say that "the economy, by every metric, is better than when I came into office."

We found several important measurements that went in the wrong direction during Obama’s tenure.

Real median weekly earnings. Between the first quarter of 2009 and the first quarter of 2015, inflation-adjusted weekly earnings for full-time wage and salary workers fell from $348 to $344, a decline of about 1 percent. Comparing the second quarter of 2009 and the second quarter of 2015, weekly earnings fell from $342 to $337, a decline of about 1.4 percent.

Median income. Inflation-adjusted median household income, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, fell from $54,059 in 2009 to $51,939 in 2013 -- a decline of about 4 percent. (Depending on how you adjust these raw numbers for taxes and in-kind income, inflation-adjusted income per person may have gone up a bit rather than shrinking.)

Percent of people in poverty. The data show that 13.2 percent of Americans were living in poverty in March 2009. By March 2014, that percentage had risen to 14.5 percent. That was down slightly from what it was in the previous three years, but not enough to match the 2009 level.

Median weeks unemployed. In January 2009, the median number of weeks an unemployed person was unemployed was 10.7. By June 2015, that number had risen to 11.3 weeks. (The peak of 25.2 weeks came in June 2010.)

Civilian labor force participation rate. This is the percentage of people either working or looking for work, divided by the civilian, noninstitutionalized population. In January 2009, this stood at 65.7 percent, but by June 2015, it had fallen to 62.6 percent. The caution here is that this statistic has been affected by the increasing rate of retirements due to the aging of the Baby Boomers. However, most economists say that the weak recovery has played at least some role in this decline.

Number of people on food stamps. The number of recipients has risen from 33.5 million in 2009 to 46.5 million in 2014, an increase of 39 percent. What is hard to say is how much comes from expanded accessibility rules and how much comes from rising economic need.

No question we have to work on our distribution of wealth to make sure more trickles down
You mean your George Soros checks for posting your leftard garbage here aren't paying your bills?

Have you ever considered a real job and moving out of your mommy's basement?

Forum List

Back