Ayone ever use self-solder butt splice connectors?

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
These things....

I'm just wondering how that solder holds up over time.

I replaced a coolant temp sensor on my vette a few days ago and, wouldn't you know it, just as soon as I got finished and put everything back together that I had to remove to replace the sensor, my elbow hit the throttle position sensor connector and snapped it in half.

So now I have to replace that busted throttle position sensor connector with a new pigtail/connector.

Was thinking about using these self-solder butt connectors instead of crimping and heat shrinking. But I dunno.

These things....

I replaced a coolant temp sensor on my vette a few days ago and, wouldnlt you know it, just as soon as I got finished and put everything back together that I had to remove to replace the sensor, my elbow hit the throttle position sensor connector and snapped in in half.

So now I have to replace that connector with a new pigtail connector.

Was thinking about using these self-solder butt connectors instead of crimping and heat shrinking.

"Butt splice" and they don't last for shit.

These things....

I replaced a coolant temp sensor on my vette a few days ago and, wouldnlt you know it, just as soon as I got finished and put everything back together that I had to remove to replace the sensor, my elbow hit the throttle position sensor connector and snapped in in half.

So now I have to replace that connector with a new pigtail connector.

Was thinking about using these self-solder butt connectors instead of crimping and heat shrinking.

"Butt splice" and they don't last for shit.

I had a hunch that they might not. That's why I asked. Thanks for the feedback. I'l just do it the old fashioned way with regular solder and heat shrink, then.

I wouldnt take anything crepe says as fact,, I've heard nothing but good things about them,,
my son uses them everyday doing commercial HVAC,,,

These things....

I replaced a coolant temp sensor on my vette a few days ago and, wouldn't you know it, just as soon as I got finished and put everything back together that I had to remove to replace the sensor, my elbow hit the throttle position sensor connector and snapped it in half.

So now I have to replace that busted throttle position sensor connector with a new pigtail/connector.

Was thinking about using these self-solder butt connectors instead of crimping and heat shrinking. But I dunno.

I have never used the self soldier ones and always used crimped butt splice connectors..

These things....

I have never used the self soldier ones and always used crimped butt splice connectors..

so once again you have nothing to add to the conversation,,,

These things....

so once again you have nothing to add to the conversation,,,

If you look in your ear there is a bug.

These things....

Solder and heat shrink work well.

I wouldnt take anything crepe says as fact,, I've heard nothing but good things about them,,

It's not like it would be any more of a bother using a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing, though. And that way I know for a fact that it'd hold up. I'm gonna take his word for it on it. A lot of heat comes off that block and I dunno how cheap the solder is they use in those pre-solder butts. I think I recall him mentioning that he built a c4 track car or something like that, so I don't think he'd tinker around with me about something dumb like that, even if he does hate my guts.

I could see where they might hold up better when they're not being hit with a constant heat source after installation, though.

It's not like it would be any more of a bother using a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing, though. And that way I know for a fact that it'd hold up. I'm gonna take his word for it on it. A lot of heat comes off that block and I dunno how cheap the solder is they use in those pre-solder butts. I think I recall him mentioning that he built a c4 track car or something like that, so I don't think he'd tinker around with me about something dumb like that, even if he does hate my guts.

I could see where they might hold up better when they're not being hit with a constant heat source after installation, though.

of course you noticed he gave no examples of using them,,
like I said my son uses them everyday on compressors and such,,

but you do what makes you feel safe,,

I'm not sure but I do believe I've seen them used on the car shows I watch but cant be for sure,,

Agree. I've used them just about everywhere. Cars, trailers, homes, computers, wiring harnesses, lighting, etc. Very convenient and reliable in my experience.

They do look convenient as heck, though. Especially if you're upside down under a dash or something.

As long as there is some sort of standoff to keep the wires away from the block or exhaust, there is little danger of the solder melting and the joint coming apart.

The problem I've had is separation under heavy load. External heat hasn't been the problem, it's like the solder melts at too low a temperature. It's just better to do it right the first time.

Forum List

Back