Atheists Assaulted for Objecting to Prayer in Hawaii State Senate (Video)

Atheist fringe groups are unbalanced, mean spirited and attention hos. The many atheists I know would never, ever, support the actions of those in the vid.

I would have to say that the camera work in that video was subpar. Very amateurish. The white balance was off.

I would have preferred if the camera operator had a more steady hand. And HD would have been nice

Gunny, please, change the name of this thread...

Here's my suggestion:

JOSÉ, TRUTHMATTERS AND USCITIZEN VS. THE AMERICAN TALIBAN

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atheist fringe groups are unbalanced, mean spirited and attention hos. The many atheists I know would never, ever, support the actions of those in the vid.

Same for extremists on both sides. Westboro Baptist Church?

I thought the OP was referencing the actions of the atheists towards the Christians, which I condemned. The camera work was fuzzy, so I was just hoping it was the atheists who were getting their due...:lol:

And religious people still wonder why so many atheists and agnostics make a hobby out of religious mockery (that I also condemn and don't practice).

They have a strong incentive to mock the ideology of people who don't see anything wrong in exposing them to embarrassing situations in buildings built and maintained with THEIR TAX MONEY.

The same kind of situations they'd resent too, had they been on the receiving end of the embarrassment, at least, once in their lifetime.

Okay, I watched the whole video. I didn't see any atheist speakers being assaulted. I saw one being physically removed from the building after interrupting the meeting and being very loud during the prayer making sure that no one could hear it. I heard a lot of stuff from that one person but I saw nothing. He made a point to say they threw blood on him? Where did this blood come from? Perhaps he actually hurt someone in his struggles to not be removed? And who says the people that removed him were Christian? Seems to me the Christians were the ones staying behind saying "Amen".

Once more we have atheists, not fighting for acceptance, but fighting to keep Christians or anything Christian from being accepted. Why did these activists not show up during one of the Jewish prayers? Or are you going to try to claim that all opening prayers in the state of Hawaii are for Christians only?

Same for extremists on both sides. Westboro Baptist Church?

I think those in the WBC should be ashamed of themselves. They certainly aren't acting like Christians. I also know if they showed up at the funeral of one of my relatives, they'd be going away sporting some black eyes and bloody wounds. Yeah, I know that's not very Christian either but my love for my family seems to come first with me even though I know my love for God is suppose to come first. I've still got some work to do in that area.

It's probably never a good sign when a security person says, "get the camera!" :lol:

I don't think it was one of the security people that said that. I think it was the guys girlfriend, or whatever. She kept asking him to give her the camera and then when it was over, she said, same voice "they broke it". I don't think they broke it either, I think it broke in his fight and he's responsible. I also heard him make a point to say they threw blood on him. Where did that come from? Did they walk out of the building carrying blood so they could throw it on him, or did he do physical harm to one of the guys removing him from the building?

José;3071174 said:
I would love to see Christians, Muslims and Jews calling themselves "intolerant assholes" after refusing to stand up during a santeria\voodoo pray.

The embarassement, the discomfort felt by atheists, agnostics and minorities during religious rites is never real until it is experienced first hand by the followers of the dominant religion.

Gosh, you are comparing "not standing up" to disruption and physical altercations?

No one required the atheists to stand or even to be there for the prayer.

Originally posted by Againsheila
Gosh, you are comparing "not standing up" to disruption and physical altercations?

I couldn't care less about this particular incident, Ms. Sheila.

Let's forget what happened in Hawaii and look at the big issue.

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO CREATE AN EMBARRASSING SITUATION TO ATHEISTS, AGNOSTICS AND RELIGIOUS MINORITIES BY PERFORMING OVERT RELIGIOUS RITUALS IN STATE FACILITIES.

José;3071804 said:
Originally posted by Againsheila

I couldn't care less about this particular incident, Ms. Sheila.

Let's forget what happened in Hawaii and look at the big issue.

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO CREATE AN EMBARRASSING SITUATION TO ATHEISTS, AGNOSTICS AND RELIGIOUS MINORITIES BY PERFORMING OVERT RELIGIOUS RITUALS IN STATE FACILITIES.

According to whom? There is nothing in the constitution that grants you the right not to be embarrassed by someone else's actions. You don't even that the right not to be offended. Neither do I. Get over it.

What you seem to forget is that NO ONE is being forced to say the prayer, nor bow their heads ~ all they need to do is be quiet,

OR SHOW UP AFTER THE OPENING PRAYER,

if it's so abhorrent to them.
Somehow I doubt you'd say the same if they opened by facing Mecca and laying out the prayer rugs..

What you seem to forget is that NO ONE is being forced to say the prayer, nor bow their heads ~ all they need to do is be quiet,

OR SHOW UP AFTER THE OPENING PRAYER,

if it's so abhorrent to them.
Somehow I doubt you'd say the same if they opened by facing Mecca and laying out the prayer rugs..

I would. If they did that before our city counsel meetings, I would simply leave and return when they are done. If they simply said an Islamic prayer (no rugs and facing mecca) I'd probably listen and say "amen" afterwords, depending on the prayer of course. In any case, I wouldn't be shouting out that it was against the constitution or that I objected. But then again, I was taught manners by my mother and even though she is dead and gone, I know she would kill me if I did such a thing.

Even our founding fathers started their meetings with a prayer.

José said:

Ms. Sheila replied:
According to whom?

According to the political concept upon which the US and most states in the world were founded called secularism or separation between church and state.

Overt religious practices like prayer in school and legislature houses create an uncomfortable, embarrassing situation for millions of atheists, agnostics and religious minorities who suddenly find themselves in the middle of a religious ceremony TOTALLY UNRELATED TO THE PURPOSES OF A SCHOOL OR CONGRESS. A ceremony linked to a given religion they do not believe in and have no desire to interact with .

This is an absurd violence, a brutal disrespect that has traumatised hundreds of thousands if not millions of children throughout the world INCLUDING ME, similar to forcing a christian or a muslim to witness or "show respect" to a black magic ritual. When you are 10 being singled out in front of the whole class due to your refusal to stand up is a devastating experience that I still remember.

This promiscuity between the public and the religious sphere is a shame and a disgrace to the USA, the cradle of secularism. This is what one should expect from a totalitarian state like Saudi Arabia.

This is why my main point here is the sad fact that the American model of secularism is deeply flawed, absolutely outdated.

It fails miserably in its mission to protect the American citizen from this type of embarrassment by not stating clearly that the "free exercise of religion" does not extend to state facilities.

Last edited:
hose-a-hole is an obvious troll

1246394182-707552-600x405-obvious_troll.jpg

Originally posted by JBeukema

You hit the nail Beukema...

This is the problem, or rather, the scandalous contradiction of so many religious people.

They "love" all the freedoms afforded to them by secularism when they belong to a minority religion and start hating the whole concept as soon as they become the majority.

hose-a-hole is an obvious troll

1246394182-707552-600x405-obvious_troll.jpg

LOL, LOL

I'm sorry but I can't reciprocate, mani.

Far from considering you a troll, I enjoyed immensely your posts on the incompatibility between Islam and secularism and I must tell you that I totally share your concern.

So it's deeply disapointing to see your indifferent, callous attitude towards the embarassment felt by secular people and religious minorities when exposed to blatant manifestations of religious faith like school prayer. :( :(

Forum List

Back