Ashville NC Police lower hiring standards...for "better quality applicants"?? (Oh....and diversity.)

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Educational standards lowered for new Asheville police

Ashville Police Department in the mountainous haven of Ashville NC was once the most prestigious agency in that state. Ashville...known as a VERY liberal city...called SanFran in the mountains....no longer is.

Lowered standards....to attract "more quality" haha????

Oh yeah....and...diversity.

Ashville Police Department in the mountainous haven of Ashville NC was once the most prestigious agency in that state. Ashville...known as a VERY liberal city...called SanFran in the mountains....no longer is.

It's Asheville actually, named for Sam Ashe.

What Bucs leaves out, from his own link:

The department quietly lowered education requirements in June, saying new police officers no longer needed a two-year college degree and could be hired with a high school diploma.

The change is intended to "increase the size, diversity and quality of the applicant pool," as well as put Asheville in line with most departments' hiring practices, interim Police Chief Wade Wood said.

Asheville first began a push to increase academic standards in the mid-1990s, under Chief Will Annarino. The standards varied over the years and at times generated controversy.

Twenty-three officers in 2001 filed a grievance against Annarino, claiming his policy of paying new hires with college degrees 5 to 10 percent more was unfair to current officers with degrees.
Eventually, the standard was set at a two-year associate's degree or 60 curriculum hours. Exceptions were given in three cases: Applicants who had 30 curriculum hours, three years of military experience, or three years of law enforcement experience could be hired if they entered into a contract with the city to finish their associate's degree. That made Asheville's requirements some of the toughest in the state, and even the nation, according to Maria Haberfeld, chairwoman of the law, police science and criminal justice administration department at John Jay College in New York.

"An average police department in the U.S. requires only a high school diploma or a GED," Haberfeld said.​

North Carolina police agencies typically pay very low (particularly in Asheville). And of course, police are not nearly held with the same level of esteem that they once were before the advent of cell phone cameras.

So, applicant pools have shrunk considerably. My community used to get pools of 400-500 applicants each year for recruit classes. Last year, they got 70 applications. A degree does not necessarily make someone a better police officer, imo. Widening the pool means more choices. A guy could go into the military and have MP experience, but no degree, and in the past would not have eligibility for some departments, but now does.

Until we want to pay officers more and until the profession starts policing itself, this is the situation we are all in.

Say goodbye to that city.

Really, why? Do enlighten us on your profound knowledge of Asheville by all means.

emot-munch.gif

The department quietly lowered education requirements in June, saying new police officers no longer needed a two-year college degree and could be hired with a high school diploma.

The change is intended to "increase the size, diversity and quality of the applicant pool," as well as put Asheville in line with most departments' hiring practices, interim Police Chief Wade Wood said.

Asheville first began a push to increase academic standards in the mid-1990s, under Chief Will Annarino. The standards varied over the years and at times generated controversy.

Twenty-three officers in 2001 filed a grievance against Annarino, claiming his policy of paying new hires with college degrees 5 to 10 percent more was unfair to current officers with degrees.
Eventually, the standard was set at a two-year associate's degree or 60 curriculum hours. Exceptions were given in three cases: Applicants who had 30 curriculum hours, three years of military experience, or three years of law enforcement experience could be hired if they entered into a contract with the city to finish their associate's degree. That made Asheville's requirements some of the toughest in the state, and even the nation, according to Maria Haberfeld, chairwoman of the law, police science and criminal justice administration department at John Jay College in New York.

"An average police department in the U.S. requires only a high school diploma or a GED," Haberfeld said.​
And once again the OP succeeds in only confirming the fact that he's a ridiculous racist.

I bet Bucs fan has been there many times. Perhaps we can also ask him about his new quarterback.

So, you don't want better educated officers?

I feel really safe with my neighborhood being protected by Barney Fife, and his high school diploma, or did he drop out and get his GED.

And people wonder why there are so many 'bad' cops, they aren't 'bad', just undereducated.

I would prefer that every police officer had a college degree, that doesn't mean they will be better than those without degrees, but it does show that they at least had the work ethic and drive to get that degree, instead of just being a high school dropout.

All professions have had to lower their standards to include blacks.

Holding blacks to the same standards as whites, is racist

Really, why? Do enlighten us on your profound knowledge of Asheville by all means.

emot-munch.gif
Don't have to know anything about Asheville. Just need to know about liberal logic. They're idiots. You're a good example.

Uh yeah you do, considering your prediction above.

Quit bailing out, coward -- you presented a prediction specifically on Asheville, now you gotta back it up. What do you see as Asheville's festering problem areas? Which neighborhoods would you not want to visit? What would you do with the I-26 connection? How do you like all that development on North Merrimon? Too much too fast? How 'bout on Tunnel Road?

Last edited:

I feel really safe with my neighborhood being protected by Barney Fife, and his high school diploma, or did he drop out and get his GED.

And people wonder why there are so many 'bad' cops, they aren't 'bad', just undereducated.

I would prefer that every police officer had a college degree, that doesn't mean they will be better than those without degrees, but it does show that they at least had the work ethic and drive to get that degree, instead of just being a high school dropout.

That's not the point. The OP deliberately framed this as a "lowering of standards" when in fact it's no such thing.

All professions have had to lower their standards to include blacks.

Holding blacks to the same standards as whites, is racist

Has nothing to do with "including blacks". Blacks already exist there (who knew). When I moved to Asheville ten years ago the mayor was not only black, she was female.

Last edited:

That's not the point. The OP deliberately framed this as a "lowering of standards" when in fact it's no such thing.
actually, going from hiring only people with college degrees to those who graduated high school or have a GED, would be considered 'lowering of standards,' would it not?

actually, going from hiring only people with college degrees to those who graduated high school or have a GED, would be considered 'lowering of standards,' would it not?

Not if those standards were already artificially high --- which is the whole background story in his own link. That would be like describing a temporary tax cut allowed to expire as the opposition "raising taxes" -- it's a bold faced lie.

emot-munch.gif
Don't have to know anything about Asheville. Just need to know about liberal logic. They're idiots. You're a good example.

Quit bailing out, coward -- you presented a prediction specifically on Asheville, now you gotta back it up. What do you see as Asheville's festering problem areas? Which neighborhoods would you not want to visit? What would you do with the I-26 connection? How do you like all that development on North Merrimon? Too much too fast? How 'bout on Tunnel Road?
Uh, no I don't. Every city liberals control turn to shit, that's all I need to know. And nobody is impressed that you're familiar with the area, dick.

emot-munch.gif

Uh, no I don't. Every city liberals control turn to shit. That's all I need to know. And nobody is impressed because you're familiar with the area, dick.

So you can't answer since you have no idea what you're talking about. But I'm sure "everybody's impressed" that you have your head up your ass as usual.

emot-munch.gif

Uh, no I don't. Every city liberals control turn to shit, that's all I need to know. And nobody is impressed that you're familiar with the area, dick.

So you can't answer since you have no idea what you're talking about. But I'm sure "everybody's impressed" that you have your head up your ass as usual.
I just answered your idiotic post but you're too stupid to understand. Either that or you're just looking to get bitch slapped again.

Asheville is the ultimate liberal/hippie city.
Thank you, and it will deteriorate the same way as ALL cities controlled by liberals deteriorate. Pogo's too stupid to understand that simple proven fact.

Forum List

Back