As if the harm to the biosphere from burning coal weren't enough.

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
China is pushing it. What can the rest of the world's non-deniers do to stop them from this practice?!!!

"Using coal to make natural gas may be good for China's energy security, but it's an environmental disaster in the making," said Robert B. Jackson, Nicholas Professor of Environmental Sciences and director of the Duke Center on Global Change.

Read more at: China's synthetic gas plants would be greenhouse giants

China is pushing it. What can the rest of the world's non-deniers do to stop them from this practice?!!!

"Using coal to make natural gas may be good for China's energy security, but it's an environmental disaster in the making," said Robert B. Jackson, Nicholas Professor of Environmental Sciences and director of the Duke Center on Global Change.

I don't understand the article's use of the term "natural gas plant". The subject of the article is the construction plants that will generate natural gas from coal. I suspect that they mean the process of producing natural gas from coal and then burning it (to make electricity for instance) will produce more CO2 than taking natural gas from the ground and burning that. They make a good point, but I think they should be comparing this new process to the prior one in which the coal would have burned directly to produce energy. Is it an improvement over that?

Give this asshole a cigar!!! Im laughing my balls off......meathead is just finding out about this now!!!:2up::eusa_dance::2up:

Civilization is going to have some effect on the environment no matter what we do. I agree with going over to cleaner ways of making energy but until we can go over to FUSION. There needs to be a acceptable middle ground...

Last edited:
I don't know what process China plans to use but most coal gasification processes generates a lot of pollution besides CO2. They are going to have to deal with a lot of carcinogenic PAH, sulphide, lead, arsenide, cyanide, and even minor amounts of radio isotopic pollution such as uranium. This is not a minor issue, though it is more of a local than regional or global issue. I would not want to live near one of those plants.

Forum List

Back