As fishermen stay in port, Trump pushes fish farming

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
President Donald Trump’s executive order to accelerate the permitting process for farming fish in federal waters offshore has drawn support from large seafood companies and alarm from environmental groups that argued the White House is trying to boost a nascent industry during a public health emergency.

In the order issued Thursday, the president directed the administration to analyze the U.S. plan for aquaculture — the synthetic breeding, growing and harvesting of fish, shellfish and plants on land or in water, often within nets in the ocean — to strengthen the domestic aquaculture industry by speeding environmental impact statements and creating a federal task force on seafood imports and exports.

I don't have an issue with supporting the aquaculture industry.

President Donald Trump’s executive order to accelerate the permitting process for farming fish in federal waters offshore has drawn support from large seafood companies and alarm from environmental groups that argued the White House is trying to boost a nascent industry during a public health emergency.

In the order issued Thursday, the president directed the administration to analyze the U.S. plan for aquaculture — the synthetic breeding, growing and harvesting of fish, shellfish and plants on land or in water, often within nets in the ocean — to strengthen the domestic aquaculture industry by speeding environmental impact statements and creating a federal task force on seafood imports and exports.

Just don't Google farm growing and harvesting of Tilapia. :)
Just be aware that farm harvesting takes a while to set up...and isn't the cleanest operation in the world (hint...don't Google).

There's already a lot of good work being done worldwide with sustainable seafood growth. That is what we should be investing in. I'll give you one right in my backyard.
What is sustainable seafood | Marine Stewardship Council

It's fine, but does it put the fishermen out of business? Around here, it's mostly lobster, clams, tiny shrimp and scallops.
I've never heard of a shellfish farm (except oysters) so I guess it wouldn't hurt. We used to have a salmon farm but the salmon all caught a disease and the enterprise went belly up.

Having "Big Business" taking over fishing sounds kind of threatening though. Kind of like Walmart putting all the decent local shops out of business. Will it put fishermen out of business? Because trust me, they are not going to want to work in a salmon pen. It's nothing but throwing feed to the fish and hauling them out with a net when they reach size. That's not what fishermen do.

I read they're raising crawfish and catfish in farms down south.

well I fish for a living. our waters have been over fished. A year of less stress to the environment may allow populations to recover. I must admit I am about going insane with nothing to do but I guess I can take a year off and run frieght or work a fairy for a year while this happens. Aint nothing wrong with fish farms. under todays curcumstances may be a good thing. Hopefully by next year I am back to doing what I love.I am ok with it even if it comes from trump.

They envirowackos are trying to claim that attention is being paid to something other than the Chinese virus. Seafood farming is necessary to keep the oceans from being overfished.

Forum List

Back