Are you only able to work 15 hours a week if your collecting full retirement SS checks and you've been self-employed since 1995

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
I don't get it, your only allowed to work 15 hours a week if your reached full retirement.

I don't get it, your only allowed to work 15 hours a week if your reached full retirement.
I don't really understand it?

I think you are taxed on the social security that was your employer's share, if you earn too much money working?? I dunno how it works???

Maybe someone here like Mac1958 can help explain it or any experienced senior cut here?

If you are younger than full retirement age and earn more than the yearly earnings limit, we may reduce your benefit amount.

When you reach full retirement age:

• Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, your earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn.
  • We will recalculate your benefit amount to give you credit for the months we reduced or withheld benefits due to your excess earnings.

We have a safety man drawing social security at work. Many others in the plant. They work full time with overtime.

No penalties til you get to max earnings. After that you are gonna have to pay into the system. They work up to the limit........and go on VACATION for the rest of the year.

Forum List

Back