Apartheid? What apartheid? Bedouin & Druze appointed as commanders in IDF

Sweet_Caroline

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2013
Druze to Command Golani Brigade

"Apartheid state?" Col. Rassan Alian will be formally appointed once Defense Minister gives green light.

By Gil Ronen
First Publish: 10/24/2013, 5:16 PM

Economics Minister Naftali Bennett, Chairman of the Bayit Yehudi faction, expressed satisfaction Thursday with the planned appointment of Col. Rassan Alian to head the Golani Brigade. Alian will be the first Druze to command the brigade.

The appointment will be formalized once Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon signs it.

Col. Alian fought in the Second Lebanon War as Commander of the Rotem Battalion and was wounded in the course of that war. Married and a father of one, he lives in Shefaram, in northern Israel.

Alian was commander of the Duchifat Battalion in the past, and was also Deputy Commander of the Golani Brigade, among other command positions he has been posted to.

Druze to Command Golani Brigade - Defense/Security - News - Israel National News

And​

IDF Boasts First Bedouin Tank Commander

Cpl. Mustafa Tabash is two weeks away from completing the Tank Commanders' Course.

By Arutz Sheva
First Publish: 10/21/2013, 11:34 AM

The IDF is about to receive its first Bedouin tank commander. While about 1,000 Bedouin Arabs serve in the IDF, most of them serve as trackers, or in the Bedouin reconnaissance battalion. Cpl. Mustafa Tabash will become the first Bedouin tank commander in two weeks' time, once he completes the Tank Commanders' Course, reports the IDF Website.

About one in nine Bedouin men serve in the IDF. Tabash knew in high school that he intended to serve, but he planned to serve in one of the military's academic tracks. He was accepted to this track – but then changed his mind.

“Serving behind a desk was not my expectation of myself,” he explained. “I wanted to be a combat soldier." He enlisted to the Tank Corps, in the 7th Brigade, and served on a tank crew as a loader – the crewman who loads shells into the tank's main gun.

He says “The course is hard, it involves being out in the field a lot and showering once a week. We do everything with a smile and encourage each other. We learn a lot and it really turns us into combat commanders.”

Being the first Bedouin in the course means that “people are always looking at me, and it's an opportunity to show my skills... When soldiers have a hard time they look at me, who as a Bedouin did not have to enlist to the military, and it helps them and provides an example.”

Tabash says his family is proud of him – “My little brother sees me with the uniform and weapon and he gets all excited” – and that he wants to go on to become an officer in the Armored Corps.

The appointments of members of minorities to sensitive military positions belies the oft-stated claim, by Israel's foes, that it practices "apartheid" toward its minorities.

IDF Boasts First Bedouin Tank Commander - Defense/Security - News - Israel National News

Forum List

Back