Anyone know how the building in Miami collapsed? This is insane to watch. LIVE UPDATES: Surfside, Florida apartment building collapse leaves 1 dead

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This is horrific. There was a video of a high-rise building in China that shifted and swayed with the fear of collapse and people were running out. Shoddy workmanship and material is a major problem in China.

51 Unaccounted for and 1 confirmed dead thus far with 35 rescued.

One would hope and have to believe the construction of this building didn't use products from unreliable sources simply to save a few dollars. So, what could be the reason?

Miami-Dade County Commissioner Sally Heyman tells Fox News that as of 10 a.m. local time this morning, 51 people remain unaccounted for following the building collapse in Surfside.

A local resident tells WSVN that his family’s friends and their young daughter were inside the Champlain Towers South building when it collapsed this morning – and he has since been unable to make contact with them.
“I came running here trying to see what is going on and when I saw the building, I just couldn’t believe myself," he said. "I am just hoping that I am dreaming and the alarm sounds and I’m like ‘ok, it’s a dream, a bad dream’.”

Look at its location...probably a massive sink hole formed under the foundation....
Does not look like it had to be even be a massive sink-hole. By the design, it looks like one central outside pillar might be enough, if the drop was significant enough. Did you notice the proximity to the beach?

This is horrific. There was a video of a high-rise building in China that shifted and swayed with the fear of collapse and people were running out. Shoddy workmanship and material is a major problem in China.

51 Unaccounted for and 1 confirmed dead thus far with 35 rescued.

One would hope and have to believe the construction of this building didn't use products from unreliable sources simply to save a few dollars. So, what could be the reason?

Miami-Dade County Commissioner Sally Heyman tells Fox News that as of 10 a.m. local time this morning, 51 people remain unaccounted for following the building collapse in Surfside.

A local resident tells WSVN that his family’s friends and their young daughter were inside the Champlain Towers South building when it collapsed this morning – and he has since been unable to make contact with them.
“I came running here trying to see what is going on and when I saw the building, I just couldn’t believe myself," he said. "I am just hoping that I am dreaming and the alarm sounds and I’m like ‘ok, it’s a dream, a bad dream’.”

It's been on the news all morning.

My heart goes out to those who lost someone or were hurt in this horrible situation.

I think it's much too early to say what caused this. It needs to be investigated. We will have to wait to find out the reason for the collapse.

Look at its location...probably a massive sink hole formed under the foundation....
Does not look like it had to be even be a massive sink-hole. By the design, it looks like one central outside pillar might be enough, if the drop was significant enough. Did you notice the proximity to the beach?

Remember all you can see is the failure outside the building, you can't see if anything failed inside first, especially since the entire structure didn't fail, and the rest remained standing.

Although I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the remaining structure.

Miami Dade isn’t really known for sink holes like west central Florida.

1624550427263.jpeg

It is actually 12 story, though, not 13.

The video of the collapse make it look like most of the complex collapsed. Seems to have started at what looks like it may have been a reinforced elevator shaft or a stairwell keeping the whole thing from coming down

According to the buildings website the tower was built in 1981..

...So, what could be the reason?...
My layman's guess is that the part that collapsed was and extension built onto the building after the original construction and the tension between the older and newer parts compromised one of them over time--basically comparable to two different buildings rubbing together.

Chick fil a just arrived for first responders. Starbucks made a delivery earlier.

Fire has broken out in what appears to be the 2nd floor void space according to. M-D fire rescue.

Forum List

Back