Any preppers out there?

Feeding Crows

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2021
I don't consider myself a prepper, but I want to be prepared. So far I have at least 6 months of canned goods, but I only have 36 gallons of water for 3 people. I figure the water in the cans, is good for an extra 2 months (I only get low-sodium or no-sodium canned goods). So I have 4-5 months of water, 6 months of food. I know I need more water.

If the STHF, I'm good here for 5 months. I have water filtration systems, should there still be a water supply, but if not, I'm good for 5 months, tops.

My problem is, that if the STHF, I'm probably not going to be staying here. And I don't have a truck or SUV. So there's only so much I can take with me that fits in my car with two kids.

So my question is, what do I make sure is in my car? lol besides the kids... And how much water should I bring compared to the food? I have tools that I have to bring as well.

I don't consider myself a "prepper". Rather, a prudent consumer.

Month ago I made a list of long-shelf life groceries that we use regularly and started buying 2-3 of each when I normally would buy just one. There's enough to protect me against Xidenflation through November and after that there should be a fast-moving recovery.

I don't consider myself a "prepper". Rather, a prudent consumer.

Month ago I made a list of long-shelf life groceries that we use regularly and started buying 2-3 of each when I normally would buy just one. There's enough to protect me against Xidenflation through November and after that there should be a fast-moving recovery.
Yep me too! And that's gotten me to 6 months worth of canned goods, lol! :)

Basically all I've done is put together an emergency bug out bag. Mine's a 40 Liter molle pack but it's just me I have to worry about, widower with no kids.
Yes, I'm so sorry Ringel, for your loss. I was a different id back then.

I'm still working on my bug out bag, and if it should include an extra firearm. And if so, how many bullets... I've seen a lot of recommendations on what to put in there, but nothing about a gun/bullets.

lol, you don't know you're prepping until you suddenly find yourself with so much non-perishable food! That's what happened to me... And for a while, I bought a gallon of water every time I shopped, though I never use it. So I kinda unconsciously prepped. Though I do need a lot more water. Which got me to think tonight how much I can actually bring with me, if I have to leave here. I would need to hijack a uhaul truck at that point... :)

I don't consider myself a prepper, but I want to be prepared. So far I have at least 6 months of canned goods, but I only have 36 gallons of water for 3 people. I figure the water in the cans, is good for an extra 2 months (I only get low-sodium or no-sodium canned goods). So I have 4-5 months of water, 6 months of food. I know I need more water.

If the STHF, I'm good here for 5 months. I have water filtration systems, should there still be a water supply, but if not, I'm good for 5 months, tops.

My problem is, that if the STHF, I'm probably not going to be staying here. And I don't have a truck or SUV. So there's only so much I can take with me that fits in my car with two kids.

So my question is, what do I make sure is in my car? lol besides the kids... And how much water should I bring compared to the food? I have tools that I have to bring as well.

The best way to stock up on water is to get a 5 gallon water dispenser and a contract to have it delivered once a month.
For the first few months over buy until you have 15 5 gallon jugs or however many you'd like than scale back and only get what you can use in a month and rotate your stockpile to keep it fresh.
Thats what we did. Plus we have a salt water swimming pool for flushing toilets and washing with.
We just ordered around $1500 in long term storage foods that last for 25 years so we'll be dead before it goes bad.
We got around six months worth but for the two of us it should last far longer 6 months.
Next is stock piling dog food.
I have well over 5k rounds for the AR and 2500 pistol rounds in .45 APC and 2500 revolver rounds in 10mm and 10mm Magnum.
Still need to stock up on various other rounds like shotgun shells .380 and some .270 rounds for the deer rifle.
Just ordered a dozen Yo-Yo's so we can fish without having to attend fishing rods. Also a dozen rat traps to affix to nut bearing trees for squirrels.

As far as how much water you'll need goes they tell you on the long term storage food how much water is needed to rehydrate your dried foods.
We went with this company after doing a lot of research and watching YouTube videos.
While it's not going to be gourmet food it seems that most people say it's pretty good stuff. You can also get dried meats and veggies and fruits to liven up your freeze dried stuff.

6-Month Emergency Food Supply (2,000+ calories/day)

The Wife is even getting into it when in the past she said it was overreacting.
She even asked if I needed anymore ammo.
She woke up after seeing the covide crap and all the rioting,empty shelves at the grocery store expensive fuel costs and all the rest of the crazy shit going on..

The best way to stock up on water is to get a 5 gallon water dispenser and a contract to have it delivered once a month.
For the first few months over buy until you have 15 5 gallon jugs or however many you'd like than scale back and only get what you can use in a month and rotate your stockpile to keep it fresh.
Thats what we did. Plus we have a salt water swimming pool for flushing toilets and washing with.
We just ordered around $1500 in long term storage foods that last for 25 years so we'll be dead before it goes bad.
We got around six months worth but for the two of us it should last far longer 6 months.
I have well over 5k rounds for the AR and 2500 pistol rounds in .45 APC and 2500 revolver rounds in 10mm and 10mm Magnum.
Still need to stock up on various other rounds like shotgun shells .380 and some .270 rounds for the deer rifle.
Just ordered a dozen Yo-Yo's so we can fish without having to attend fishing rods. Also a dozen rat traps to affix to nut bearing trees for squirrels.

As far as how much water you'll need goes they tell you on the long term storage food how much water is needed to rehydrate your dried foods.
We went with this company after doing a lot of research and watching YouTube videos.
While it's not going to be gourmet food it seems that most people say it's pretty good stuff. You can also get dried meats and veggies and fruits to liven up your freeze dried stuff.

She woke up after seeing the covide crap and all the rioting,empty shelves at the grocery store expensive fuel costs and all the rest of the crazy shit going on..
I have dehydrated water......... Just add water..........

That is fantastic information, HWGA!!!! Thank you so much. I especially appreciated the ammo part. I have a glock 9, no rifles, though maybe I should get one and learn, in order to hunt. I do have good knives if I get something :), and I've watched many youtube videos on how to clean them. My main worry is if I have to leave here, where I have my food and water, and what to bring with me outside of the obvious bugout bag, in a limited space. I have a car, not an SUV or truck, and three seats will be occupied... So water is going to take up a lot of that free space. I'm just trying to prioritize the other stuff in terms of importance.

You are great! Thank you so much for your input. Anything further you can add, will be much appreciated.

I'll bring rice and oatmeal. My beans are in cans and they're coming too. I just thought of jerky based on another post I made, but it's too expensive for large quantities.

So how about stuff like toilet paper? Being city folks, i don't know how long we can last without it. :) So if I have to stuff my car with things, and drive north, how much room should be allocated for TP? This is the stuff I ponder... :) And I would love to hear advice!

That is fantastic information, HWGA!!!! Thank you so much. I especially appreciated the ammo part. I have a glock 9, no rifles, though maybe I should get one and learn, in order to hunt. I do have good knives if I get something :), and I've watched many youtube videos on how to clean them. My main worry is if I have to leave here, where I have my food and water, and what to bring with me outside of the obvious bugout bag, in a limited space. I have a car, not an SUV or truck, and three seats will be occupied... So water is going to take up a lot of that free space. I'm just trying to prioritize the other stuff in terms of importance.

You are great! Thank you so much for your input. Anything further you can add, will be much appreciated.

Since you said you have a water purifier you're kinda set there.
You might want to look into a higher quality purifier that will produce more clean water,also consider picking up a bottle of household bleach, just add 6 to 8 drops of bleach to a gallon of water and that will make it safe to drink but I'd only use that method if you have to. Another note on water purifiers,they wont remove the funky taste of say creek water with a lot of detritus in it. Of course you can also boil water but again it's still going to taste funky. It also takes fuel.

Bugging out in a car is problematic since you cant go off road and of course you limited space to carry items. I wouldnt want to park on the side of the road to catch a few winks personally although I suppose you could park somewhere there are a lot of vehicles present so you blend in.
The thing with the Wife and I and my friends is we're all outdoors man so we have a lot of this stuff already. We just need to adjust a few things,add a few things and stockpile more so it's pretty simple for us.

This is the Wife and I's bug out vehicle....
277A0DDD-3203-425B-892C-CAC22C87F170.jpeg

Plus we have this to live in when we hit our 6k acre lease. Of course we could possibly run into a problem if the owner of the property said no and he wanted it for himself although he does live in Florida and we're in Texas. The guy that maintains the lease has said to come on out since more guns are better than fewer guns.

79F3898B-8A02-447D-B052-6E7B2C16C0BC.jpeg

The lease has a shitload of lakes and wildlife so obtaining food would be pretty simple.
It also has multiple live springs for water.
8C07D411-D00B-4701-809D-D1A0EC7DD720.jpeg

CD15F709-2EF6-43FB-8D0C-3A2158D8943A_1_201_a.jpeg

These would be my main defense weapons...
The Wife is very proficient with a shotgun.
D41D18B9-B9B5-4237-BAC4-A6B77F824FC0_1_201_a.jpeg

I'll bring rice and oatmeal. My beans are in cans and they're coming too. I just thought of jerky based on another post I made, but it's too expensive for large quantities.

So how about stuff like toilet paper? Being city folks, i don't know how long we can last without it. :) So if I have to stuff my car with things, and drive north, how much room should be allocated for TP? This is the stuff I ponder... :) And I would love to hear advice!

Making your own jerky isnt that difficult. Bass Pro Shop has the seasoning you need. It's best to make it in say temps of around 70 degrees and have a breeze to help dry it. Another method is over a fire which helps it dry and the heat moves the air to help with the removal of moisture.
All you need is say a 3x3 frame with screen on it to keep the bugs off it with some wire racks to hold the meat. Of course this is a luxury item and it may not be possible unless you have a secure place to do it.

TP is one of those luxury items as well. While yes I'd want a shitload of it,no pun intended,it will eventually run out. Do a google search they have a list of plant life that works well in a pinch. We have a plant called Lambs ear that works very well,it can also be used for bandages in a pinch,it's also said to have medicinal properties.
I've used it several times while out hunting and didnt have a choice.

I'd pack dry beans,rice,flour,sugar,salt,macaroni,oatmeal and cornmeal for starters.
They last a long time and are lighter than can goods.
1645994819986.png

So I've been buying some Mountain House freeze dried foods, and decided to crack one open yesterday, and I'm doing another one tonight.

They're expensive! But holy cow, it's good! I had Italian sausage and peppers last night. A little acidic, but that's to be expected for Italian sausage and pepper! It was really good! Tasted better than anything you buy frozen.

Tonight, I'm going to have the Beef Stroganoff. The Pro-Pak version. I'll tell you tomorrow what I think.

Any of you eat any of the Mountain House packages? I just wish they were cheaper, and I would load up on them. 30-yr shelf life.

So I've been buying some Mountain House freeze dried foods, and decided to crack one open yesterday, and I'm doing another one tonight.

They're expensive! But holy cow, it's good! I had Italian sausage and peppers last night. A little acidic, but that's to be expected for Italian sausage and pepper! It was really good! Tasted better than anything you buy frozen.

Tonight, I'm going to have the Beef Stroganoff. The Pro-Pak version. I'll tell you tomorrow what I think.

Any of you eat any of the Mountain House packages? I just wish they were cheaper, and I would load up on them. 30-yr shelf life.

Real preppers don't buy Mountain House or any of the other freeze-dried "survival" foods out there.

I used to use them for backpacking but the are so unappetizing that I gave them up and learned how to haul days worth of real food in my backpack where I can cook delicious meals that are an actual reward for a tough day of slogging up and down mountains. Enjoy that trout almondine with a good Bordeaux decanted into a airtight bladder.

Real preppers know how to store food, can their own food, and make do. Learn how to buy fresh fruits and vegetables and can them yourself (and retain much more nutrition that store bought canned foods).

If you really want to prep food, you can get good advice from The Mormon Church. They encourage their members to have a one-year supply of food for their entire family stored and accessible. They do this with retail / bulk quantity normal groceries that the families actually enjoy.

A years worth of real food that you actually enjoy will keep your survival morale up far better than trying to exist on prison food.

Forum List

Back