Anthony Bourdain, CNN host and celebrity chef, dead at 61

The strange thing about depression is that at its worst, when you should be reaching out, it paralyzes you, and often disables you from doing so. An anecdote for that is for all of us to reach out more - to love more - to connect more - into the lives of those all around us.

Possibly, however they were most likely already diagnosed with depression and therefore prescribed the medication. In other words they were already candidates for suicide, I'm not so sure whether they were on medication or not is necessarily damning for those medications.

Read the link. Of course they would have had to have been diagnosed, but as the links indicate, the medication increases the risk of suicide and Violent behavior by 50% over Placebo. And at the same time, Placebo (sugar pills) are nearly as effective as the very dangerous prescription meds.

Possibly, however they were most likely already diagnosed with depression and therefore prescribed the medication. In other words they were already candidates for suicide, I'm not so sure whether they were on medication or not is necessarily damning for those medications.

Read the link. Of course they would have had to have been diagnosed, but as the links indicate, the medication increases the risk of suicide and Violent behavior by 50% over Placebo. And at the same time, Placebo (sugar pills) are nearly as effective as the very dangerous prescription meds.

I don't doubt your link, at least not until I see it. Maybe you posted it already but I'm not finding it above.

I also don't doubt that some medications in some people can make them more suicidal. However there are millions who are on anti-depressants now who wouldn't be able to function without them.

I don't usually like to talk about my personal life however there was a time when I was on sertraline, I had developed generalized anxiety disorder, mostly from not dealing with my own depression and at that moment in time, I needed an anti-depressant and I can say that it indeed saved my life just so I could just get through the day and cognizant enough that I could undergo some pretty painful therapy without falling apart.

Due to some..*ahem* unfortunate yet well known side effects of the drug I ultimately decided to go off of it after a couple years, however I have to say that while on it I was at my best emotionally. I'm still OK, however it takes a little work to stay balanced. Anyway, in the end it was a personal choice that had more to do with physical side effects than anything else.

Like I said, I usually don't get into my own personal life however I think it's important for those who do suffer from depression to talk about their experiences including the medications they have taken whether that experience was positive or negative. I find that for me sertraline was not a wonder drug though it did help and so also not really the boogeyman that people who have never taken the medication think it is.
Thanks for your openness guy. My medicine has always been alcohol...has not worked well on some occasions...but I find beer and wine suites me fine. No vodka, whiskey or gin. Screw that stuff.

I used to medicate with alcohol, probably a lot of the reason that put in trouble to begin with, I'd mask my own feelings with it. I took a break for a while and now just drink socially. But, yeah, alcohol was a contributing factor to my own depression.

Good for you!

I also think a lot of deaths that are applicable with antidepressants are caused when they mix, even a little alcohol while on them.

I totally agree with that.

"It’s the kind of day you wish Trump would kill himself and Anthony was our President." - Mad Maxine Waters

Bourdain became an outspoken advocate of the anti-sexual harrassment #MeToo Movement after his girlfriend, Asia Argento, accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault in October. CNN confirmed Bourdain’s death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

His death comes just days after fashion designer Kate Spade hung herself in an apparent suicide at her Manhattan apartment.

The culinary rock star got his big break back in 1999, after writing a wildly popular article for the New Yorker which was later adapted into a best-selling book. He later hosted “A Cook’s Tour” on the Food Network, then moved to the Travel Channel with a new show, “Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.” In 2013, he joined CNN and was the star of “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown” – Season 11 of which aired on the network last month. His television programs have won numerous Emmy and Peabody Awards.

infowars

Holy Shit. That’s awful. He had one of the best shows on television.
I've been his fan since he started on the Travel Channel with No Reservations. After years of Samantha Brown and Rick Steves, Tony was one hell of a welcome change. I remember one of his first shows, in Iceland. God, he hated that place. He ripped it up one side and down the other and complained the whole time he was there. It was great.

He went through his travel seasons, chef seasons and political seasons, and he was always thoughtful, interesting and funny. I'm really saddened that he was so sad and that he's gone.

I've been his fan since he started on the Travel Channel with No Reservations. After years of Samantha Brown and Rick Steves, Tony was one hell of a welcome change. I remember one of his first shows, in Iceland. God, he hated that place. He ripped it up one side and down the other and complained the whole time he was there. It was great.

He went through his travel seasons, chef seasons and political seasons, and he was always thoughtful, interesting and funny. I'm really saddened that he was so sad and that he's gone.

Indeed.
It goes to show you, you don't have to like everything about someone in order to like them.
There were things I didn't agree with him, but so what? He was vastly thoughtful, and showed us one single fact throughout his entire TV career - people are, generally speaking - good. Governments are, generally speaking.... destroyers of that good.

Oh crap, I'm going to Iceland in October.

What on earth for?

LOL. I'm sure you can enjoy it. If I remember correctly, stay away from the fermented fish and the bowling alleys.

I disagree.... he had an obviously strong/close relationship with his daughter and had many-many friends.
He has left his daughter...who will struggle with this for the rest of her life.

He wanted to kill himself.

It's a choice anyone of us can make

I agree it is a choice we can all make. It just saddens me when people see that as preferable. Unless they are suffering from some illness with no reasonable hope of recovery.
Homosexuality and drug addiction are illnesses with limited hope of recovery.

Especially if the homo or addict sees them as ideologies..which bourdain definitely did.

God, you’re a fucking twit.

Shocker, although he lead a troubled life early on.. at least.
IMO, his CNN show is/was the BEST show on TV.
His inside looks at cities/countries all over the planet, but never traveling or eating luxuriosly.
Always finding the native life and cuisine.

Anthony Bourdain, CNN TV Host, Is Found Dead in Apparent Suicide
Celebrity chef dies in French hotel room while filming coming segment for his series ‘Parts Unknown’
By Keach Hagey and
Melanie Grayce West
Updated June 8, 2018 - Wall St Journal
Anthony Bourdain, CNN TV Host, Is Found Dead in Apparent Suicide

Anthony Bourdain, the chef and author who parlayed his love of food, taste for adventure and gifts as a raconteur into television stardom, was found dead Friday in a hotel room in France of an apparent suicide, CNN said Friday. He was 61.

CNN confirmed the death, saying in a statement he was found unresponsive Friday morning by friend and chef Eric Ripert, and calling it a suicide. CNN said Mr. Bourdain was in Strasbourg filming a coming segment for his series “Parts Unknown.”

“His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller,” a statement from CNN said. “His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much.”

Mr. Bourdain’s knack for using food as a quasi-journalistic tool to explore other cultures and tell emotionally affecting—and often politically probing—human stories created a new form of television and in the process made him a global celebrity.

His Emmy-winning CNN show, “Parts Unknown,” on the air since 2013, helped reshape the network’s prime-time programming strategy away from a reliance on the volatility of the daily news cycle and inspired many imitators.
[......]
News of Mr. Bourdain’s death prompted an outpouring of reaction from a host of celebrities on social media, some from the food scene and some outside of it.
[......]​

Last edited:
I disagree.... he had an obviously strong/close relationship with his daughter and had many-many friends.
He has left his daughter...who will struggle with this for the rest of her life.

I agree it is a choice we can all make. It just saddens me when people see that as preferable. Unless they are suffering from some illness with no reasonable hope of recovery.

Especially if the homo or addict sees them as ideologies..which bourdain definitely did.

Sorry to burst your bubble but he killed himself and was a homo. Seems like lots of them end up dead at their own hands.

Sorry to burst your bubble but he killed himself and was a homo. Seems like lots of them end up dead at their own hands.

He was gay?

I don’t think that’s supported by evidence, but even if he was, so fucking what?

Koshergrl is still a useless twit.

He was gay?

I don’t think that’s supported by evidence, but even if he was, so fucking what?

It seems many gay people have issues with depression that in many cases leads to suicide.

He was gay?

It seems many gay people have issues with depression that in many cases leads to suicide.
I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that homosexuality is, in and of itself, a mental illness?

:lol:

Anthony Bourdain wasn't gay, fuckwit.

Following KG's lead isn't a great plan, as a general rule.

With his partner

upload_2018-6-8_18-21-7.jpeg

Asia Argento Mourns Boyfriend Anthony Bourdain: ‘I Am Beyond Devastated’

Forum List

Back