Another victory for ADULT stem cells!

Perhaps this is one long stride toward making people realize that embryonic stem cell research is bogus. It has never saved a single, solitary life. Adult stem cells, which take away no life, have.

Perhaps this is one long stride toward making people realize that embryonic stem cell research is bogus. It has never saved a single, solitary life. Adult stem cells, which take away no life, have.

It's not bogus, it's just controversial and the current US policy has driven the research to other countries.

It's not bogus, it's just controversial and the current US policy has driven the research to other countries.

They've cured not one disease with embryonic stem cells; not in this or any country. Adult stem cells, on the other hand, have cured some 73 diseases. Trust me, it's bogus. There is no need to destroy embryos for something that doesn't work. Just another example of ideology running amok.

Last edited:

That's great news, KMAN!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/h...bl&ex=1227243600&en=21630a148c19f857&ei=5087

Pioneering Stem Cell Surgery Announced

By ALAN COWELL
Published: November 19, 2008

PARIS -- Physicians at four European universities have completed what they say is the first successful transplant of a human windpipe using a patient’s own stem cells to fashion an organ and prevent its rejection by her immune system, according to an article in the British medical journal The Lancet. One of the physicians said the surgery could herald a “new age in surgical care.”

They've cured not one disease with embryonic stem cells; not in this or any country. Adult stem cells, on the other hand, have cured some 73 diseases. Trust me, it's bogus. There is no need to destroy embryos for something that doesn't work. Just another example of ideology running amok.

Yeah, so what? Yesterday you could have said they never successfully transplanted a human windpipe either. It's called scientific progress.

Scientists say cells taken from human embryos offer the most promise of being used to develop therapies for Parkinson's, diabetes and other diseases. Some scientists have found cells taken from adults also have lifesaving potential.

"Current policy has depressed the field" of research and caused an exodus of scientists from the United States to other countries where such research is flourishing, University of Iowa researcher Nicholas Zavazava says. But "we are a big country; we ought to be able to roll things back."

States such as California have gone ahead and funded stem cell research on their own in the absence of federal money.

Obama's campaign promised broad support for stem cell research. His website says he "believes we owe it to the American public to explore the potential of stem cells."

After the election, John Podesta, chief of Obama's transition team, said aides are reviewing a host of areas where Obama might act fast, including on federal funding for research using embryonic stem cells.
Opponents brace for end of stem cell ban - USATODAY.com

Yeah, so what? Yesterday you could have said they never successfully transplanted a human windpipe either. It's called scientific progress.

There is absolutely no need to destroy human embryos to obtain their cells when you have iPS cells, which are, scientists say, identical to embryonic stem cells. There is no need. It's just another political ploy to keep Roe. untouched.

Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells are believed to be identical to natural pluripotent stem cells, such as embryonic stem cells in many respects, such as the expression of certain stem cell genes and proteins, chromatin methylation patterns, doubling time, embryoid body formation, teratoma formation, viable chimera formation, and potency and differentiability, but the full extent of their relation to natural pluripotent stem cells is still being assessed.

Induced pluripotent stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NPR talk notwithstanding, there is no plausible reason to continue destroying human embryos when iPS cells are identical to embryonic stem cells, and have actually cured a disease.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no need to destroy human embryos to obtain their cells when you have iPS cells, which are, scientists says, identical to embryonic stem cells. There is no need. It's just another political ploy to keep Roe. untouched.

Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells are believed to be identical to natural pluripotent stem cells, such as embryonic stem cells in many respects, such as the expression of certain stem cell genes and proteins, chromatin methylation patterns, doubling time, embryoid body formation, teratoma formation, viable chimera formation, and potency and differentiability, but the full extent of their relation to natural pluripotent stem cells is still being assessed.

Induced pluripotent stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NPR talk notwithstanding, there is no plausible reason to continue destroying human embryos when iPS cells are identical to embryonic stem cells, and have actually cured a disease.

I think that's great...IF the science actually ultimately determines there is nothing special about the potential of an embryonic cell that can't be found in other cells, BUT how do you think they discover these things? They NEED to research the embryonic cells and experiment! That's what science is.

I think that's great...IF the science actually ultimately determines there is nothing special about the potential of an embryonic cell that can't be found in other cells, BUT how do you think they discover these things? They NEED to research the embryonic cells and experiment! That's what science is.

Trust me, I'm quite aware of what science is. They played around with embryonic stem cells for years and nothing has come of it. Not a single cure. A lack of public funding in many ways obliged scientists to look at the alternatives, thus the discovery of iPS cells. Once injected with a virus, these adult stem cells essentially lose its DNA and become embryonic stem cells, ready to become whatever the scientist desires. To me, this is fantastic. We don't have to destroy life to save life. Not only that, but limitation encourages innovation. Imagine what other discoveries they can make if they get off this embryonic stem cell bit.

To me, this is fantastic. We don't have to destroy life to save life. Not only that, but limitation encourages innovation. Imagine what other discoveries they can make if they get off this embryonic stem cell bit.

I agree with your basic view, but I think many scientists still disagree on these conclusions. I just want to see progress in treating parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, aids, cancer, etc, not be blocked by religious zealots. I realize it's a controversial issue, but my opinion is that the end justifies the means, and the only way to know the potential of these cells is to research them thoroughly.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/S/Stem_Cells.html

Last edited:

If embryonic stem cells need to be used, for example where adult stem cells can't do the job, they they should be used. The superstitious beliefs of a few shouldn't be allowed to harm the wellbeing of the many.

If embryonic stem cells need to be used, for example where adult stem cells can't do the job, they they should be used. The superstitious beliefs of a few shouldn't be allowed to harm the wellbeing of the many.

I believe I've already shown that iPS can do everything that embryonic stem cells can do. But - precisely - what "superstitious beliefs" are you referring to?

I agree with your basic view, but I think many scientists still disagree on these conclusions. I just want to see progress in treating parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, aids, cancer, etc, not be blocked by religious zealots. I realize it's a controversial issue, but my opinion is that the end justifies the means, and the only way to know the potential of these cells is to research them thoroughly.

Stem Cells

Well, iPS cells are basically embryonic stem cells. I have researched this thoroughly and am not aware of any disagreement. In fact, adult stem cells being turned into embryonic stem cells is a rather recent discovery. Before, they were able to do it but the cells caused tumor growth. Now, however, the cells do not. They are the same as embryonic stem cells in every way.

But I don't quite see the virtue in destroying life to save life, even if these iPS cells were not capable of doing what they do. In fact, I think it's rather selfish. People dehumanize embryos because they're worried about themselves.

He gasped. "What if I get this disease? Oh, my. I better support embryonic stem cell research."

That's basically what it boils down to. More people support embryonic stem cell research than abortion. You would think the numbers would be the same, but they are not. When people hear the word "abortion," the cringe and rally against it. But when it comes to stem cell research, because they are selfish, they don't put two and two together. They don't realize that abortion is, ultimately, the result. They dehumanize embryos because the abortion that occurs with ESCR has the potential to benefit them and their loved ones. Selfishness.

Can one person on here tell me why we need embryonic stem cells when adult stem cells are showing all of the progress? Why not take that extra money used for embryonic stem cell research and apply it to adult stem cell research? Doesn't this sound like a better use for the money?

Can one person on here tell me why we need embryonic stem cells when adult stem cells are showing all of the progress? Why not take that extra money used for embryonic stem cell research and apply it to adult stem cell research? Doesn't this sound like a better use for the money?
I heard a story about this on NPR last evening. The scientists involved with the transplant aren't sure if it was the stem cells that regenerated the tissue or the tissue from the windpipe itself that was still viable. It's a little early to call this a medical miracle and declare victory.

We don't need ESCR at all. Like I said, it's just another political ploy to keep Roe v. - abort 'em all - Wade untouched.

I know... I am not going to get anyone on here who can make a case for embryonic stem cell research but they will complain that we need it...

FYI -- There's a good explanation of the difference between Totipotent, Pluripotent, and Multipotent cells (as well as the ES cells Mac is talking about) at one of the links I posted above.

Here it is again >

Stem Cells

If embryonic stem cells can produce therapies that can't be developed by other means then they should be used.

Someone's religious beliefs shouldn't prevent another person from getting the therapy they need to prolong, enhance or otherwise improve that other person's life.

Neither the Roman Catholic Church nor Pastor Bob's Drive-In Praise the Lord Congregrationist Assembly should have any influence whatsoever on medical research when it comes to the use of embryonic stem cells.

Forum List

Back