Another Victim Shot By A Trigger Happy Homeowner

Believe it or not, there are red voters in blue states and I'm willing to bet some Monopoly money that this guy was among them.

He's another argument for gun control. Unfortunately, winning that debate means that more girls like Kaylin Gillis and boys like Ralph Yarl will get killed or seriously wounded.

What more gun laws do we need? This guy broke the law, was arrested and charged, and sent to jail. What more do you want than that?

That's the first time I've seen anything about entering the home. I don't think that's accurate, but it could be. Okay then, so let's say that's what the facts ultimate reveal. So what do we mean by entering?

Forced entry? Doesn't look like it.

Opening the door and entering living space? Doesn't seem likely based on what's been reported so far, though possible.

Opening an outer door or outer screen door? That kind of entering?

Opening a door and ducking your head in to say "Hello, anyone hear?" That sort of entering?

Even if he entered, that's, what, technically simple burglary at worst? I can see how it can startle someone but jeez...a simple "Who the hell are you?! Get the fuck out of here!" would suffice, would it not?

See, that's the problem with guns. They change how people think. They change how people react. They change the dynamics of how to resolve a conflict or deal with a simple problem that could otherwise be solved with communication. People either completely overreact out of exaggerated fear, or they double down on aggressiveness because now they've got bigger balls than they would have if didn't have their piece and would rather prove that they're a tough guy.

Some years ago my mother had to fire her yard man for not doing his job and he must have told some of his lowlife pals that there were tools and shit that they could raid from her garage. Once in a while - maybe 2 or 3 times - I would see someone walk onto the property that probably didn't belong there, and I just tapped on the window. I think I even walked out once (at a safe distance) and asked what the deal was. There was a gun within reach if I needed it, but it was certainly not my go-to.

For fucks sake, God gave people brains: paranoid gun nuts should use them once in a while. I probably saved millions in legal fees that way.

Blacks are responsible for over 50% of murders and over 33% of violent crimes in America. The homeowner acted prudently under these known facts if he indeed entered.

The paranoia that makes people reflexively grab for a gun is all too prevalent with the gun nutters. I can't understand living in fear like that.

In this case it was probably less fear than it was (what he thought) an opportunity to shoot somebody. People need to know the laws when it comes to guns. My state recently went to constitutional carry and I was against it for that reason. Getting a CCW means you studied all the laws relating to carrying a firearm out in public. Now we have people armed that don't really know the laws.

Entering a home is considered when a person walks in and actually within your home. If anybody did that here I would shoot to kill. Nobody I know would ever do that even if I knew ahead of time they were coming over. I'm not going to give the intruder the benefit of the doubt they made a mistake.

Yeah, well, you're paranoid, and the law may or may not be on your side. I'd probably have a criminal defense lawyer's phone number handy and buy insurance 'cause you might need it one day.

People don't know how to triage anymore. There are potential threats, and then there are certain threats. In the last few days we've heard about two completely avoidable shootings. Even if both perpetrators somehow turn out to be acquitted, which I doubt, they will still probably be paying legal bills the rest of their lives unless their lawyer is giving away his services for free. I bet this wasn't on their retirement bingo card. Well, tough shit.

In this case it was probably less fear than it was (what he thought) an opportunity to shoot somebody. People need to know the laws when it comes to guns. My state recently went to constitutional carry and I was against it for that reason. Getting a CCW means you studied all the laws relating to carrying a firearm out in public. Now we have people armed that don't really know the laws.

I suspect that a fair number of people with CCW licenses don't really know the law as well as they think they do.

Yeah, well, you're paranoid, and the law may or may not be on your side. I'd probably have a criminal defense lawyer's phone number handy and buy insurance 'cause you might need it one day.

People don't know how to triage anymore. There are potential threats, and then there are certain threats. In the last few days we've heard about two completely avoidable shootings. Even if both perpetrators somehow turn out to be acquitted, which I doubt, they will still probably be paying legal bills the rest of their lives unless their lawyer is giving away his services for free. I bet this wasn't on their retirement bingo card. Well, tough shit.

In my state if somebody enters your home uninvited you are covered by the Castle Doctrine should you decide to use deadly force to stop them. And no, the suspect or their family can't sue me either.

If I have no idea who the person is, I also have no idea if they are armed or not. I'm not about to give them the chance to pull a gun on me before I can access mine. You're in my home, you know you're not supposed to be in there, gives me every right to use deadly force.

In my state if somebody enters your home uninvited you are covered by the Castle Doctrine should you decide to use deadly force to stop them. And no, the suspect or their family can't sue me either.

If I have no idea who the person is, I also have no idea if they are armed or not. I'm not about to give them the chance to pull a gun on me before I can access mine. You're in my home, you know you're not supposed to be in there, gives me every right to use deadly force.

Yupp!
It's the old WWII shoot pattern: 2 to the chest, one to the head.
DS mags have made life sooo much safer!!

I suspect that a fair number of people with CCW licenses don't really know the law as well as they think they do.

If they didn't they wouldn't be able to pass the written test. If they don't know how to handle a gun they couldn't pass the range test.

If I was unarmed at a convenient store while it was getting robbed, and another patron pulled out his weapon, I would at least have some assurance they had the training and testing that I did. Now with constitutional carry, I'd be more scared of him than I would be the robber. It could be somebody like this clown in the OP.

"A 65-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder after he allegedly shot and killed a 20-year-old Saratoga County woman Saturday evening after the car she was in mistakenly drove up the man’s driveway. Washington County Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy said Monday that Kaylin A. Gillis was in a car with three other people Saturday night looking for a friend’s house. Murphy said the group mistakenly drove up to a house on Patterson Hill Road, as they attempted to turn the car around, the sheriff said, Kevin D. Monahan came out on his porch and fired two shots, one of which hit Gillis while she was seated in the car. No one from the group had left the car or tried to enter Monahan's house before he came out and opened fire, Murphy said.

Murphy said when officers arrived, Monahan would not emerge. Authorities spoke with him through a 911 dispatcher and in-person for about an hour before he was taken into custody. The sheriff said it was an "administrative decision" to send Monahan to the Warren County jail. Public records indicate Gillis' father is a correction officer at the Washington County jail. The shooting comes days after a 16-year-old Kansas City boy was shot and injured after he rang the bell at the wrong house to pick up his siblings."

I do not know why this guy felt compelled to come out shooting just because a car was backing out of his driveway; that is hardly a stand-your-ground justification. Maybe it would benefit gun owners to brush up on the laws in their state before they just assume castle doctrine laws means they can kill anyone at will as long as they claim "I was trying to protect my home".

As the story mentioned, this was days after Ralph Yarl was shot in the face thru the door by one overly trigger happy homeowner; and then shot him again.....but thankfully, Ralph survived and looks to be able to make a full recovery. Unfortunately, Kaylin's life was robbed from her because of another trigger happy homeowner..... but that guy was arrested right away....hopefully Ralph and his family will get to see the guy who tried to rob him of his life, arrested and be made to account for what he did too.
one of the many reasons people are fleeing NY

It's not nearly as automatic as you believe it to be. Castle doctrine means that you have no duty to retreat if you are inside your home or car. You still have to have a reasonable basis for believing that you had a reason to shoot whoever was inside your home. Granted, the prosecution has to prove that you did not have a reasonable basis for shooting someone even if you didn't necessarily have one, but depending on what you tell them during questioning, they might be able to convince a grand jury/judge they have a case against you.

Sure, if someone forcibly entered your home or even if they didn't and you see them hauling off your big screen TV, you can probably assume they're not Mormons. But let's say it's a hot summer day and you've left your door open or the screen door's open and someone ducks their head in to get your attention. You can't just shoot them.

In some cases, yes, but again, the circumstances make each case a little different. Like I said, I'd probably have a criminal defense attorney on speed dial and buy some extra insurance.

one of the many reasons people are fleeing NY

New York's violent crime rate is significantly lower than that of many gun-toting paradises, and once you get out of urban areas, its violent crime rate is probably among the lowest in the nation - certainly lower than that in many red states.

It's not nearly as automatic as you believe it to be. Castle doctrine means that you have no duty to retreat if you are inside your home or car. You still have to have a reasonable basis for believing that you had a reason to shoot whoever was inside your home. Granted, the prosecution has to prove that you did not have a reasonable basis for shooting someone even if you didn't necessarily have one, but depending on what you tell them during questioning, they might be able to convince a grand jury/judge they have a case against you.

Sure, if someone forcibly entered your home or even if they didn't and you see them hauling off your big screen TV, you can probably assume they're not Mormons. But let's say it's a hot summer day and you've left your door open or the screen door's open and someone ducks their head in to get your attention. You can't just shoot them.

In some cases, yes, but again, the circumstances make each case a little different. Like I said, I'd probably have a criminal defense attorney on speed dial and buy some extra insurance.

You are wrong. Our Castle Doctrine got rid of duty to retreat. It used to be that way before they passed our Castle Doctrine, but no longer. Today the use of deadly force is your decision. No prosecutor would even think of a grand jury hearing because if you shoot somebody entering your home, you are perfectly within the law of doing so.

New York's violent crime rate is significantly lower than that of many gun-toting paradises, and once you get out of urban areas, its violent crime rate is probably among the lowest in the nation - certainly lower than that in many red states.

the violent crime rate has risen 22 percent in NYC over the last year

Another 102 car fatalities today.. a number that is a statistical norm of expected and accepted deaths.

Democrats yet to condemn or minimize access to cars.

Those outside of the family in media and politics don’t care about the dead, they’re exploiting it for their own agenda. It’s fake tears, a performance. They should be ashamed for doing it

They are working on that too........they don't want people to own cars, they want to force people onto buses...

They are working on that too........they don't want people to own cars, they want to force people onto buses...

Absolutely. That's why CA and NY made laws against the sale of gasoline cars by 2035, and Dementia is getting his EPA to make tailpipe emissions so low that most gasoline cars won't be able to pass them.

The average price for an EV is nearly 60K which most people can't afford. So if you can't drive your gasoline car and can't afford an EV, your only choice will be public transportation. It won't effect the elite.

Forum List

Back