Annoying Phrases People Use All the Time

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Annoying phrases people use all the time which you wish you never had to hear ever again. Anyone on board for this? A couple of examples, to get the ball rolling:

"No problem." A favorite phrase of waiters and waitresses, but often used by just about anyone. Setup: You say "thank you" to someone for doing something that you think is deserving of a thank you. The waiter notices your coffee cup is half empty, stops on his way to another table and fills it up. "Thanks!," you say. "No problem," says the waiter. Yetch. How about, "you're welcome"?

A better example. The waiter is taking your order and you have a special request. Because of dietary limitations, you can't eat butter. So you tell the waiter, "I want to make sure that this fish is cooked in fat free oil, not butter." Waiter: "No problem." No problem? Maybe yes, maybe no. Let's wait until the fish actually arrives to see whether or not there is "no problem." Hint: Most of the time, in spite of the waiter's bland assurances, there IS a problem - a huge problem.

"Sorry about that." This one comes to us from the 1960's television series, "Get Smart," specifically, from the star of that series, Agent 86 - Maxwell Smart. It is the calssic non-apology, because it trivializes whatever transgression has just been committed and makes it clear that the speaker does not consider what he/she just did as anything that it really deserving of an actual apology.

How about you? What are some phrases you find particularly annoying and why?

Last edited:
I hate when people say "Cray Cray" instead of the word "crazy" and when "preggers" when the real word to use is "pregnant".

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Where in the world do these phrases come from anyways?

The constant use of the word "like" normally by teenage girls drives me nuts. Not a phrase, I know.

You mean use of the word "like" instaid of "said"? As in, "So he goes, what do you mean?, and I'm like, I didn't mean anything, so he's like, yes you did, and I go, no I didn't."?

I'm with you 100% in finding this major league annoying - and, sad to say, it isn't just teenage girls who do it. My oldest son's former wife was still doing it when she was well in her forties.

I don't see that many American teenage girls where I am, but I overhear gaggles of American tourist girls a lot. "Like" in their usage defies grammatic definition. Sentences like:razz:, "He was so like drunk." make me, as a native speaker in a foreign country, want to throttle them. I am not sure what purpose that usage of "like" serves.

Last edited:
News people and politicians who always say, at the end of the day.
Another one is ,with all due respect.

I thought this was kind of neat when it started, now it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Starting a sentence with the word......

So

The only thing that should start with that is......

So annoying.

The one I am hating the most now is the Obamaism :

"Let me be absolutely clear. "

..the moment he utters that you know he is going to talk s*** :mad:

Annoying phrases people use all the time which you wish you never had to hear ever again. Anyone on board for this? A couple of examples, to get the ball rolling:

"No problem." A favorite phrase of waiters and waitresses, but often used by just about anyone. Setup: You say "thank you" to someone for doing something that you think is deserving of a thank you. The waiter notices your coffee cup is half empty, stops on his way to another table and fills it up. "Thanks!," you say. "No problem," says the waiter. Yetch. How about, "you're welcome"?

A better example. The waiter is taking your order and you have a special request. Because of dietary limitations, you can't eat butter. So you tell the waiter, "I want to make sure that this fish is cooked in fat free oil, not butter." Waiter: "No problem." No problem? Maybe yes, maybe no. Let's wait until the fish actually arrives to see whether or not there is "no problem." Hint: Most of the time, in spite of the waiter's bland assurances, there IS a problem - a huge problem.

"Sorry about that." This one comes to us from the 1960's television series, "Get Smart," specifically, from the star of that series, Agent 86 - Maxwell Smart. It is the calssic non-apology, because it trivializes whatever transgression has just been committed and makes it clear that the speaker does not consider what he/she just did as anything that it really deserving of an actual apology.

How about you? What are some phrases you find particularly annoying and why?

No problem, I cooked your fish in butter. No? Not what you wanted? Sorry about that.........
:cool:

Let me be absolutely clear on this. Sooooo, on account of, like you know, with all due respect, at the end of the day, does it all really matter..........

this one annoys me too ...... MAKE NO MISTAKE!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Let me be clear, make no mistake I do not like Obama! :eusa_whistle:

'

"I love America" -- when uttered by people who are doing their damnedest to destroy civilized life in this country, and whose true allegiance is to violence, ignorance, totalitarianism, brainwashing and chaos and black night.

'

"I love America" -- when uttered by people who are doing their damnedest to destroy civilized life in this country, and whose true allegiance is to violence, ignorance, totalitarianism, brainwashing and chaos and black night.

;

Damn. That noman really is just a stupid shit stain.

Forum List

Back