Angry Canada threatens to impose tariffs on U.S. goods over EV tax credit plan

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
For once Canada might have a point on this issue, if and only if USMCA covers this issue.

However, I would like to remind any Canadians with a short memories that just a few years ago, Ontario was offering major credits to anyone buying an electric car, in the thousands. I didn't hear America or Mexico cry about this (though I did as I thought it was a waste of taxpayer resources to fund wealthy, hipster car owners).

Ontarios communist economy relies on the auto industry as it is the last bastion of some incarnation of a manufacturing industry (along with state run booze). We rely on funding from foreign companies to employ some of the lucky serfs here who are allowed to work since we lose our best talent and are one of the very few First World nations without our own domestic company.

Yes, the Oligarchy and well funded police state in Canada is real, the end result is a nation of warehouses of foreign made junk and a really stupid, lazy workforce of "chosen ones'.

OTTAWA (Reuters) -Canada dramatically hardened its tone with Washington in a dispute over proposed U.S. credits for electric vehicles on Friday, threatening to slap tariffs on a range of American goods unless the matter was resolved.

In a letter to senior members of the U.S. Senate, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland and Trade Minister Mary Ng also said Canada was ready to launch a dispute settlement process under the U.S.-Mexico-Canada (USMCA) trade deal.

Canada fears the tax credit for American manufacturers will undermine its own efforts to produce electric vehicles in Ontario - the country's industrial heartland - and also undermine the integrated North American auto industry.

Last edited:
1. First of all, the BBB Bill may not ever be passed in the Senate, and it may not have the EV tax credit part in it if it does pass.

2. But if it does pass and is signed into law with that tax credit, does Canada have the balls to follow through and enact tariffs against the US? I wouldn't blame them if they did. I don't understand why we don't see that when you pass a tariff against somebody then they will retaliate against us. There are always consequences.

3. WTF would Biden do about it if Canada did slap some tariffs on the US? What could he do, except escalate matters? Not a good thing between neighbors.

4. Tariffs are always a really bad idea, but it's a REALLY bad idea to fuck over your friends.

1. First of all, the BBB Bill may not ever be passed in the Senate, and it may not have the EV tax credit part in it if it does pass.

2. But if it does pass and is signed into law with that tax credit, does Canada have the balls to follow through and enact tariffs against the US? I wouldn't blame them if they did. I don't understand why we don't see that when you pass a tariff against somebody then they will retaliate against us. There are always consequences.

3. WTF would Biden do about it if Canada did slap some tariffs on the US? What could he do, except escalate matters? Not a good thing between neighbors.

4. Tariffs are always a really bad idea, but it's a REALLY bad idea to fuck over your friends.

Canada will apply tariffs just to save face. Americans will hardly notice as Canada will just become less and less a source of products.

This E.V issue, along with the lumber issue and the exceedingly obvious fact that America doesn't view us as the same country we were in the 1980s for instance, has really damaged Canadas position in N.A and globally. I am one voice, there are countless here who realize that Canada has been a mirage, piggybacking off of Americas system and reputation of liberty and access to justice while not representing many of these principles in practice. The world knows.

I've noticed FAR more negative comments by Canadians on local forums and news sites, even as Canadian sites are notorious for censoring and deleting them. In short, Canadians are not happy with our lives right now, the pandemic exposed what I have been shouting for years, we have two classes, "government and the have-nots". The unaccountable and the abused.

I am a prime example of ambition and passion for life who is rotting away due to the unaccountable abuses of government. None of you can appreciate how empty one feels to be suppressed of basic pursuits in your life. The years ticking away.

America need not call it the E.V tax credit, call it the "Canadian Human Rights Tax"...it would be just as relevant and honest.

Canada will apply tariffs just to save face. Americans will hardly notice as Canada will just become less and less a source of products.

Whoever gets hit by Canadian tariffs will notice on our side, you can bet on that.

..., piggybacking off of Americas system and reputation of liberty and access to justice while not representing many of these principles in practice. The world knows.

We ain't doing too good representing those values and principles either. And yes, the world knows.

..., the pandemic exposed what I have been shouting for years, we have two classes, "government and the have-nots". The unaccountable and the abused.

The unaccountable and the abused sounds very familiar here too.

I'm saying all this so you don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I can see the trends for your country and mine, and IMHO we ain't moving in the right or best direction. I don't know where all this is leading too, and I'm scared for all of us. Not for myself, I don't have that many years left and I can go back to eating PB&J sandwiches if I had to. But future generations are going to pay the price for our mistakes and excesses, and I feel bad about that.

Trudumb has already turned Canada into a wasteland of starving, jobless people.
He's sold out to the Saudi's, and like Jinping........looking to literally sell the country to the highest bidder.

I would never put it past Truderp to enact any possible scenario to further cut the throats of Canadians.

Forum List

Back