American Out, Multicultural In

American MusicFest has been renamed 'Harrisburg Jazz and Multi-Cultural Festival, Hosted by Mayor Linda D. Thompson' | - PennLive.com

Harrisburg’s annual free Fourth of July party has a new name and a new emphasis on jazz and world music.

The American MusicFest has been renamed the Harrisburg Jazz and Multi-Cultural Festival, Hosted by Mayor Linda D. Thompson.

The name change surfaced on the city’s Web site. City offices were closed for Good Friday, and efforts to reach the mayor or her spokesman, Michael Holmes, for comment were unsuccessful.

The name foretells a new direction for the free festival, which will be held July 3-5 in Riverfront Park.

It won't be long before July 4th morphs into a holiday having nothing to do with America as a country.

Multicultural has everything to do with America as that is what we are made up of, all cultures of the world, the melting pot. People need to get out of their mainly white little towns and go meets some other cultures that helped make this country what it is.

Or their mainly Hispanic little barrios or black little ghettos? YOU are a perfect example of what's wrong with multiculturalism. Blaming whites.

Not that I'm surprised.

American MusicFest has been renamed 'Harrisburg Jazz and Multi-Cultural Festival, Hosted by Mayor Linda D. Thompson' | - PennLive.com

Harrisburg’s annual free Fourth of July party has a new name and a new emphasis on jazz and world music.

The American MusicFest has been renamed the Harrisburg Jazz and Multi-Cultural Festival, Hosted by Mayor Linda D. Thompson.

The name change surfaced on the city’s Web site. City offices were closed for Good Friday, and efforts to reach the mayor or her spokesman, Michael Holmes, for comment were unsuccessful.

The name foretells a new direction for the free festival, which will be held July 3-5 in Riverfront Park.

Aren't you the one protesting Nabisco for the production of oreo cookies? Why is it you race obsessed bigots find the absolute dummist shit to complain about?

and you find nothing wrong with changing the name from "American MusicFest"...to the " Harrisburg Jazz and Multi-Cultural Festival"?....just because of Political Correctness?....

How do you know its about PC? They just changed the type of acts they got and the new name is more fitting. Fail to see what's PC about it

It won't be long before July 4th morphs into a holiday having nothing to do with America as a country.

Multicultural has everything to do with America as that is what we are made up of, all cultures of the world, the melting pot. People need to get out of their mainly white little towns and go meets some other cultures that helped make this country what it is.

Or their mainly Hispanic little barrios or black little ghettos? YOU are a perfect example of what's wrong with multiculturalism. Blaming whites.

Not that I'm surprised.

I'm blaming rural, racist rednecks that constantly whine and complain and act like htey are the only true americans, when there is an entire country made up of all different cultures. OH, btw, what the hell am I blaming whites for?

Just ignore me Gunny, you are a fucking nut, and no wonder why with someone like you running this forum its just verbal diarrhea land

I'm amazed how sensitive Americans are about this stuff - sure renaiming a jazz festival is kind of dumb, but so what?

Is it SO American to drape the flag over every little thing?

Is it so important to pretend America is under thread because some jazz festival doesn't put the word 'America' in its name?

Toughen up americans!

You missed the point. The festival was to celebrate the birth of our nation, July 4, 1776. Now, it's not....

Not surprising, I've been saying for months that America is dead.

So are the people participating in the music not Americans just because they have a different lineage? If they are Americans, or actually, even if they're NOT, why should anyone be excluded from celebrating the birth of our nation? It is, after all, just a "celebration" not a political rally.

Let me clear up something.
There is no such thing as "American".
From the northern tip of Canada to the southern tip of Chile, resides a mix of every kind of blood on earth.
In the US of fallen empire, this is especially true.
Think about it. If you have the proper hardware.:cuckoo:
There are communities which, as recently as the 70's, had areas where you could think you were in another country !
Miami is still the capital of Latin Murka.
Jew Yourk.
Lil Italy
Chinatowns everywhere
Cajuns
Alabama, Mississippi...Africa
Polish in Chicago.
Ukranians in Buffalo
Mexicalis, Guats, Nicas, Hondurans, Salvadorians. every where there are farms or tourists traps.
Pakistanis...call a cab.
Indians....go to the hospital.

Give up this idiotic " I'ma Murkin bullshit.
You're nothing more than another face, in that particular spot, in the Western hemisphere.

Take that fucking flag and use it for a doormat, or a rug for the dog.

So what is an "American"? Someone of pure white/anglo European lineage?
Okey dokey. Go find one for me.

Mags, I'm surprised you completely missed what he said. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your BULL SHIT response.
To condense his message: Why can't we all just be Americans? Un-separated by racial or nationalist divisions, not "why can't we all be white".

(If you were responding to Joyce then I would have understood).

Sorry, but I did find it confusing, and especially the last line.

You know I have a half-brother (I have a lot of half family, my father got busy!!!!!) who is a Jazz Blues singer and guitarist.

I am not saying he is a legend but he is good enough to make his living from it and only from this thing he loves.

He is blessed.

He has played with the some famous people including Billy Joel, Bob Denver, Hall and Oats, but the most important moment of his life was playing with the greatest guitarist who has ever lived; BB King. That was my brother's Kingdom of Heavan, being on stage with that musical God Mr King.

Great music should not divide us.

Great music is like great sex, it should unite us.

then political correctness should not be brought into it.....and changing the name from....JAZZ MUSIC FESTIVAL.....to....MULTI CULTURAL FESTIVAL....implies just that....

Well, like it or not, we HAVE become a multi-cultural nation. Even churches often set aside a Sunday during the year for multi-cultural religions to gather and unite. It doesn't make them any less spiritual and sacred.

Thank Gawd the "Confederate Republican Party of Teabags", or the "White Wing" as they like to be called, is shrinking.

No gays, no feminists. Blacks don't feel welcome. Hispanics don't feel welcome. They mock the educated.

The White Wing will become more irrelevant every year and it's about time. It couldn't happen to a more deserving group of people.

Aren't you the one protesting Nabisco for the production of oreo cookies? Why is it you race obsessed bigots find the absolute dummist shit to complain about?

and you find nothing wrong with changing the name from "American MusicFest"...to the " Harrisburg Jazz and Multi-Cultural Festival"?....just because of Political Correctness?....

How do you know its about PC? They just changed the type of acts they got and the new name is more fitting. Fail to see what's PC about it

we have a Multi-cultural festival every year here....its about many different food stands many different clothes stands.....its set up so every part of the place were it is being held has a different ethnicity showing their wares....THAT is a multi-cultural festival....a Jazz Music Festival is just that....A JAZZ MUSIC FESTIVAL.....not a multi-cultural festival because different Ethnic groups may show up....different ethnic groups show up all the time at Jazz Festivals....to listen to the Music.....the mayor changed the name to say...."see im very accepting of all you different folks,aint i wonderful".....its political correctness Curve ...and if you or anyone else here cant see that,then you are just people who think being politically correct is the way to be.....i myself cant stand that bullshit,and will never give in to those that think its the way to be.....

we have a Multi-cultural festival every year here....its about many different food stands many different clothes stands.....its set up so every part of the place were it is being held has a different ethnicity showing their wares....THAT is a multi-cultural festival....a Jazz Music Festival is just that....A JAZZ MUSIC FESTIVAL.....not a multi-cultural festival because different Ethnic groups may show up....different ethnic groups show up all the time at Jazz Festivals....to listen to the Music.....the mayor changed the name to say...."see im very accepting of all you different folks,aint i wonderful".....its political correctness Curve ...and if you or anyone else here cant see that,then you are just people who think being politically correct is the way to be.....i myself cant stand that bullshit,and will never give in to those that think its the way to be.....

So isn't the job of mayor to please the citizens of his town? Sure, he was being politically correct. And why shouldn't he be in that regard? His citizens are from diverse backgrounds. And look around--these days, anyone who doesn't "look" the part is suspect. I sure wouldn't feel comfortable in an unfamiliar crowd if my features and dialect weren't strictly the traditional "image" of an American.

So isn't the job of mayor to please the citizens of his town? Sure, he was being politically correct. And why shouldn't he be in that regard? His citizens are from diverse backgrounds. And look around--these days, anyone who doesn't "look" the part is suspect. I sure wouldn't feel comfortable in an unfamiliar crowd if my features and dialect weren't strictly the traditional "image" of an American.

so if you change the name from Jazz Festival....to Jazz MULTI- CULTURAL Festival...everyone is now accepting of each other?.....Right....the people who attend Jazz Festivals are quite used to seeing different looking people....and Jazz no matter where it is being played....is Jazz....and everyone there knows it....but since my bitch was about the Mayor being a Politically Correct Wuss....and you agreed....there is not much more i can say....

I'm blaming rural, racist rednecks that constantly whine and complain and act like htey are the only true americans, when there is an entire country made up of all different cultures. OH, btw, what the hell am I blaming whites for?

Just ignore me Gunny, you are a fucking nut, and no wonder why with someone like you running this forum its just verbal diarrhea land

thats funny since so many Rural towns in the SouthWest are made up of a good portion of Brown People....

Well, like it or not, we HAVE become a multi-cultural nation. Even churches often set aside a Sunday during the year for multi-cultural religions to gather and unite. It doesn't make them any less spiritual and sacred.

were have you been Maggie?....this nation has been one of many peoples and religions for a lot longer then we have been around....so we havent just BECOME one in the last year or so.....whether you like it or not,the name change on that festival was PC at its finest....if she wanted to EXPAND the music beyond Jazz,she could have called it the Jazz and World MUSIC Festival....but she groveled for the "different" looking people who could have gave a rats ass about the way it was.....they were coming to hear music,not be pointed out as being different.....

Thank Gawd the "Confederate Republican Party of Teabags", or the "White Wing" as they like to be called, is shrinking.

No gays, no feminists. Blacks don't feel welcome. Hispanics don't feel welcome. They mock the educated.

The White Wing will become more irrelevant every year and it's about time. It couldn't happen to a more deserving group of people.

and when Left Wingers like you join with your Right-Wing Brothers and Sisters .....and disappear back into the nooks and crannies of the world....with the Cockroaches,were you belong..... then there will really be a festival....the first nation wide one....

He said the change in musical emphasis reflects the changing face of the city’s population.

So the former mayor is saying that all those other people are not American?

Its stupid IMO. "America" does not mean rural white. It means all those who have come here who live by the ideals of what America represents. America is a concept, not a test of blood or skin colour. The fact that the Festival of India drew so many is a cool representation of this nation. By changing the name of a festival on the fourth of July, it diminishes America and emphasizes elsewhere.

Multiculturalism divides, it does not unite.

thats funny since so many Rural towns in the SouthWest are made up of a good portion of Brown People....

What's funny is your misunderstanding of grammar.

"rural, racist rednecks" with "rural and racist" being adjectives for the noun "rednecks" which is specifically mentioning rednecks that are racist. There are racist in on rural areas, but you'll likely find more in those areas.

I have relatives that live in rural montana, and they are good people, so I'm fully aware that not everybody that lives in rural areas are racist, or rednecks, or bad people.

What's funny is your misunderstanding of grammar.

"rural, racist rednecks" with "rural and racist" being adjectives for the noun "rednecks" which is specifically mentioning rednecks that are racist. There are racist in on rural areas, but you'll likely find more in those areas.

I have relatives that live in rural montana, and they are good people, so I'm fully aware that not everybody that lives in rural areas are racist, or rednecks, or bad people.

so those dumbass uneducated toothless idiots have that much influence over you and every one else?.....fascinating....

Forum List

Back