Alabama students hold Kung Flu parties with prize for first sick person

What dosn't make sense?

These are young adults -- college-age, Hence the party and gambling mentality -- who stand a very, very, very, good chance of getting nothing more than a sniffle or two. Oh, and a pot of money.

Kids, what ya going to do?
Perhaps, but when they visit home, they will have the opportunity to infect and kill their parents and grandparents and perhaps even some elderly neighbors. Great kids!
If their parents are in good health, they won't have to worry about it. If they act responsibly, or their parents remind them, they'll stay away from their grandparents for a few weeks.

Again, the panic and irrational fear in this country is just mind-boggling.

There never was a time when we were going to prevent the outbreak or hold the spread of this virus. Not ever.

Best to embrace the real science and let the virus run its course and just take the measures needed to protect the vulnerable. Lockdowns ARE NOT the correct policy.
If their parents are in good health, perhaps they won't die but then they can't responsibly visit their parents or any other place where elderly or people with compromised health are.

Herd immunity is so far a myth. The Swedes tried to let the virus run its course predicting they would have herd immunity by May, but so far their infection rates and mortality rates are skyrocketing and herd immunity is nowhere in sight.

Not enough is known about the virus at this point to make glib assertions about it. New research suggests that people who are asymptomatic may have certain T cells others do not have and that's why they don't get very sick and that antibodies from a first infection may only provide protection for a limited period of time.

So far as we know today, herd immunity can only be achieved when we have effective vaccines and then only if nearly everyone has been vaccinated. The behavior of the students at this party is selfish and irresponsible and their parents should tell them not to come home until everyone has been vaccinated, which would be next summer at the very earlies.
Not true.
Sweden’s positive tests have gone up while ICU and deaths are way down.
No, deaths are increasing.

It’s the rate over the course of the virus. It is way down.
Look at this chart...
Since the testing adjusted infection rate is skyrocketing, clearly there is no herd immunity, so if the mortality rate is falling, it must be for other causes than herd immunity. The fact that the chart is using testing adjusted new infections means you can't claim the higher infection rate is due to more testing. It may be that the new deaths are lower because over the course of the disease Sweden's very high mortality rate has already killed off most of the vulnerable people in Sweden.
Your job is to determine why the infection rate is higher. My guess is that it’s a combo of less restrictive behavior combined with more testing. The only apples-to-apples is the death rate. That is significantly lower in spite of the infections. Seems to me the threat is behind us.
The question is why is the infection rate increasing so rapidly since there has been no significant change in the rules and regulations in Sweden. The chart indicates she is using test adjusted infection rates, which means she has statistically factored out the effect of more testing on the infection rate. So when you look at that dark line showing infections, it means there is a much higher rate of those being tested being positive. If herd immunity were setting in, that would not be the case.

Why the mortality rate is falling remains a mystery and the only explanation I can see is that the virus has already killed off most of the vulnerable people in Sweden.

It is worth noting that Anders Tegnell, the man who persuaded the government to keep the economy open, has since said:

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

'“If we would encounter the same disease, with exactly what we know about it today, I think we would land midway between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world did,” said Mr Tegnell in the interview broadcast on Wednesday morning. Mr Tegnell’s admission is striking as for months he has criticised other countries’ lockdowns and insisted that Sweden’s approach was more sustainable despite heavy international scrutiny of its stubbornly high death toll.'

It has been announced that Tegnell will be going on vacation and the Swedish government, unhappy with the results so far, will be opening an investigation into Tegnell's policy.
The positive rate is increasing because many people have relaxed their own restrictions. Same dynamic as here in US without government making it happen.
While I don't normally spend a lot of time looking at Sweden, from what I've read, the Swedish government has recently tried to pressure people to be more careful, but the next 2 to 4 weeks should give us a clearer idea of what is going on.
I think the past month has already demonstrated the results. Things opened up, positives rose and deaths dropped.
Could have done this in March.

What dosn't make sense?

These are young adults -- college-age, Hence the party and gambling mentality -- who stand a very, very, very, good chance of getting nothing more than a sniffle or two. Oh, and a pot of money.

Perhaps, but when they visit home, they will have the opportunity to infect and kill their parents and grandparents and perhaps even some elderly neighbors. Great kids!
If their parents are in good health, they won't have to worry about it. If they act responsibly, or their parents remind them, they'll stay away from their grandparents for a few weeks.

There never was a time when we were going to prevent the outbreak or hold the spread of this virus. Not ever.

Best to embrace the real science and let the virus run its course and just take the measures needed to protect the vulnerable. Lockdowns ARE NOT the correct policy.
If their parents are in good health, perhaps they won't die but then they can't responsibly visit their parents or any other place where elderly or people with compromised health are.

Herd immunity is so far a myth. The Swedes tried to let the virus run its course predicting they would have herd immunity by May, but so far their infection rates and mortality rates are skyrocketing and herd immunity is nowhere in sight.

Not enough is known about the virus at this point to make glib assertions about it. New research suggests that people who are asymptomatic may have certain T cells others do not have and that's why they don't get very sick and that antibodies from a first infection may only provide protection for a limited period of time.

So far as we know today, herd immunity can only be achieved when we have effective vaccines and then only if nearly everyone has been vaccinated. The behavior of the students at this party is selfish and irresponsible and their parents should tell them not to come home until everyone has been vaccinated, which would be next summer at the very earlies.
Not true.

Look at this chart...
Since the testing adjusted infection rate is skyrocketing, clearly there is no herd immunity, so if the mortality rate is falling, it must be for other causes than herd immunity. The fact that the chart is using testing adjusted new infections means you can't claim the higher infection rate is due to more testing. It may be that the new deaths are lower because over the course of the disease Sweden's very high mortality rate has already killed off most of the vulnerable people in Sweden.
Your job is to determine why the infection rate is higher. My guess is that it’s a combo of less restrictive behavior combined with more testing. The only apples-to-apples is the death rate. That is significantly lower in spite of the infections. Seems to me the threat is behind us.
The question is why is the infection rate increasing so rapidly since there has been no significant change in the rules and regulations in Sweden. The chart indicates she is using test adjusted infection rates, which means she has statistically factored out the effect of more testing on the infection rate. So when you look at that dark line showing infections, it means there is a much higher rate of those being tested being positive. If herd immunity were setting in, that would not be the case.

Why the mortality rate is falling remains a mystery and the only explanation I can see is that the virus has already killed off most of the vulnerable people in Sweden.

It is worth noting that Anders Tegnell, the man who persuaded the government to keep the economy open, has since said:

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.

'“If we would encounter the same disease, with exactly what we know about it today, I think we would land midway between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world did,” said Mr Tegnell in the interview broadcast on Wednesday morning. Mr Tegnell’s admission is striking as for months he has criticised other countries’ lockdowns and insisted that Sweden’s approach was more sustainable despite heavy international scrutiny of its stubbornly high death toll.'

It has been announced that Tegnell will be going on vacation and the Swedish government, unhappy with the results so far, will be opening an investigation into Tegnell's policy.
The positive rate is increasing because many people have relaxed their own restrictions. Same dynamic as here in US without government making it happen.
While I don't normally spend a lot of time looking at Sweden, from what I've read, the Swedish government has recently tried to pressure people to be more careful, but the next 2 to 4 weeks should give us a clearer idea of what is going on.
I think the past month has already demonstrated the results. Things opened up, positives rose and deaths dropped.
Well, I still think we have to wait and see if all these new positives will result in a lot more deaths over the next month.

do you want herd immunity?

because this is how you get herd immunity..

Alabama students hold COVID-19 parties with prize for first sick person

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (NEXSTAR/AP) — Officials in an Alabama city said several college students organized “COVID-19 parties” as a contest to see who would get the virus first.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students hosted the parties to intentionally infect each other with the new coronavirus. McKinstry said party organizers purposely invited guests who tested positive for COVID-19.

“They put money in a pot, and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense,” she said, according to the New York Post.
Yep, that's exactly what should be happening and has happened, for the most part, for eons. Folks with strong immune systems get it, get over it, and ultimately the virus weakens. It's called herd immunity. Politicians want to play up the false narrative that they are 'protecting' the population (aka voters to them), so they (the politicians) can wield power over The People without any legislation at all. This country is now being run by bureaucrats like Fauci and I wish Trump would frog-walk him/them out of the WH. He has done more harm to this country than any virus has.

They are in fact.....dumb beyond reason. They think being american makes them exceptional and invincible....I have news for them.

They are in fact.....dumb beyond reason. They think being american makes them exceptional and invincible....I have news for them.
No what's 'dumb beyond reason' is shutting down a whole country because of a flu. It is arrogant to think that doing that and mandating the wearing of masks is going to stop a virus.

What dosn't make sense?

Not true.

Look at this chart...

Well, I still think we have to wait and see if all these new positives will result in a lot more deaths over the next month.
And my point is that there has been over a month for deaths to have risen and instead they fall. We could have and should have been here months ago.

What dosn't make sense?

Not true.

Look at this chart...

And my point is that there has been over a month for deaths to have risen and instead they fall. We could have and should have been here months ago.
As I pointed out previously, even the Swedes have regrets about the way they handled the virus because it led to so many deaths and the man who persuaded the the government to keep the country open now says he should have done things more like what the other Europeans and the US did.

Forum List

Back