AGW Cult Explains it all

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
Here's the thread where the AGW Cult takes the opportunity to teach us, to present their evidence. We'll keep it simple for starters.

Please show us how we obtained temperature accurate to a tenth of a degree back in 1880

land_and_ocean.jpg

Please show us how we obtained temperature accurate to a tenth of a degree back in 1880
Proof of the utter ignorance of deniers!

They take the temperature from more than one location and then AVERAGE them together, giving you decimal fractions.
3 and 2 average 2.5

all readings to the whole number

4,4,5 the avg is 4.333333333333333....

how many digits are significant?

if there are 1000 data points with an avg of 4.33333333

if there are 1,000,000 data points with an avg of 4.3333333

if you need to convert from degreesF to degreesC, how many working digits do you use? how many significant digits in the final answer. did the conversion have an effect?

They take the temperature from more than one location and then AVERAGE them together, giving you decimal fractions.
3 and 2 average 2.5

You are so full of shit. I wonder if you even took a high school science course. I wonder if you have ever heard of something called significant digits and significant data.

I look at that chart, and I see decimal places far beyond just splitting integers in half. I call BS. That data is coming from a different source than thermometers to get sig. figures to that decimal place. Otherwise, -.5 is all you get, that's all, no more.

If you want to achieve more precision, something to a TENTH of a degree? you lose significance. Your instruments don't have the ability to measure that.

Can't you read that chart? All those measurement are between 0 and 1 degree. Seriously?

If this chart were generated by thermometers, it would look like a straight line until the invention of the digital thermometer. It would all be -.5 for the most part.
Is global warming due to more sensitive thermometers?
Is global warming due to more sensitive thermometers?

3 and 2 average 2.5

Why stop at a tenth? Clearly they could be accurate to a hundredth of a degree no?

3 and 2 average 2.5

Why stop at a tenth? Clearly they could be accurate to a hundredth of a degree no?

the last time I looked at GISS contUS data in numerical form it had at least three digits past the decimal. that indeed does imply significance at the level of one hundredth of a degree.

3 and 2 average 2.5

And when placed into context of the error bar of +/- 1-2 deg C , which is an error bar of 2-4 deg C... the result has a confidence level of less than ZERO..In 1880 the thermometers used had error ranges of about +/-2 deg C (or a 4 degreee C range) anything in that range is of no statistical value.

3 and 2 average 2.5
Try to get 5 people to accurately read a thermometer to even a degree.

In 1880 the thermometers used had error ranges of about +/-2 deg C (or a 4 degreee C range) anything in that range is of no statistical value.
Which is why REAL scientists are smart enough to use ANOMALIES rather than the raw temperature.
DUH!

In 1880 the thermometers used had error ranges of about +/-2 deg C (or a 4 degreee C range) anything in that range is of no statistical value.
Which is why REAL scientists are smart enough to use ANOMALIES rather than the raw temperature.
DUH!
what advantage does using the anomalies give them that the reading off the thermometer doesn't? I bet this is interesting.

DUH!
what advantage does using the anomalies give them that the reading off the thermometer doesn't? I bet this is interesting.
Because it renders the accuracy of the individual thermometer meaningless as long as you use the same thermometer.
DUH!

DUH!
Because it renders the accuracy of the individual thermometer meaningless as long as you use the same thermometer.
DUH!
how do you figure? If the thermometer is one degree different and that is one degree change is used, what's the difference? Isn't it the same degree up or down?

DUH!
DUH!
how do you figure? If the thermometer is one degree different and that is one degree change is used, what's the difference? Isn't it the same degree up or down?
Not when using anomalies, which is why scientists are smart enough to use them.

Anomalies use the 30 year average of that thermometer to measure the DEVIATION from that average. So the accuracy of the individual thermometer has no effect on the deviation from the thermometer's average.

DUH!
DUH!

Anomalies use the 30 year average of that thermometer to measure the DEVIATION from that average. So the accuracy of the individual thermometer has no effect on the deviation from the thermometer's average.
they need the thermometer dufass to add the change to the average. What a stupid tool you are.

And BTW, everyday there is a new average. Every flippin day.

DUH!
DUH!

they need the thermometer dufass to add the change to the average. What a stupid tool you are.

Again, proof of the utter and complete stupidity of deniers.
Thank you.

DUH!

Again, proof of the utter and complete stupidity of deniers.
Thank you.
so you still don't get it eh?

3 and 2 average 2.5
So they just make it up? That's what I thought, thanks.
So they calibrated thermometers to within what percent back when they were reading by whale oil?

Forum List

Back